• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Re-chucking without indentations - dead mouse pads

I love my Nova G3 Chuck with the spigot jaws. The serrated jaws really grab and hold while transferring all the energy of my 1hp Nova Lathe to the wood.

For some projects, such as an espresso tamper however, a nicely shaped spigot is a finished part of the piece and it is tempting to re-chuck this spigot so I can cleanly finish the other side.

Here the serrated jaws are a disadvantage since they mar the spigot.

I have tried rubberized shelf liner but it doesn't really get the job done. The piece has a tendency to get loose, it may slip and discolor the spigot and usually I get some indentation anyway.

I think I have found the ideal material - foam rubber mouse pads. They don't have to be new and if you go to trade shows, county or state fairs, etc. you can sometimes get them for free. My employer has some promotional mouse pads that work great (don't tell anybody I said that).

Cut the mouse pad into a strip - 1 inch wide works just right for the Nova since the jaws are 1 inch deep. The length of the strip should be just slightly less than the circumference of the spigot (pi times diameter of the spigot). If the length is greater than the circumference, the strip will overlap which will cause the piece to be gripped off center. Use a steel straight edge and an exacto knife to cut the pad.

Put the rubber side in contact with the work piece and the cloth part in contact with the jaws for the best grip.

I have gotten pretty good results with this method. Try it an let me know how it works for you.

Back