• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Reflections from the AAW Convention

This was my first national meeting, although I have attended numerous symposiums in the past.
I was overwhelmed by the trade show with so many superb vendors. My wife will kill me when she sees all I bought!
The demos were a bit uneven but the one's that were good were VERY good. Soren's piece on Turning Basics was worth the price of admission, Don Deery was a real suprise and has me thinking in some new categories, George Hatfield is delightful and very wise.
There were a lot of demos on "inspiration and design". Some were pretty sophmoric, some were amazing.
The general meeting of the AAW reminded me of why I hate meetings.
Over all, it was a great time. I am just now figuring out how much it cost me to go....and it is not cheap....but I think a good value.
Thanks for all the leadership that put it together and the local clubs that volunteered.
David Galloway

I thought it was a terrific Symposium. For me it was the best symposium I have been to.

I have a bunch of great memories from this show which I know will inspire me to do thinks in woodturning which I never could have dreamed of doing had I not attended the Symposium.

I took a few pictures while I was at the Symposium. They are part of my Summer Vacation.

http://www.gyniahouse.com/Summer_Vacation_04/index.htm

Look in the Rotations, Instant Gallery and Banquet part.

Thanks

Richard

Website
www.woodturner.org
Yes, this symposium was quite well organized. I enjoyed the instant gallery a lot. And there were plenty of presentations to choose from. If you haven't been to one of the symposiums, they are a lot of fun. Thanks to the volunteers who setup the show and made it such a great event!

I took a slew of pics of the instant gallery and of the exhibition. They will posted with titles/names in the 2004 Symposium page area of the website in the next month. When they are posted I'll put up a note in this forum (just like I did last year).

This was my first aaw symposium and really enjoyed the demos, venders and was humbeled by the instant gallery. The demos that stand out are Derry's , Soren's and Malcom Tibbets. With that said I have some thoughts we as woodturners should promote turned wood more as an alternetive to the plastic, glass that seems to be poperlur today. We should try and get more young people involved { I am 44 and at best I will have 30 to 40 years left to turn} hopefully this will pass on the art at a time that they can enjoy it for years. Some directions would have been good, posted on the web site for those people who drive. A sign in front of the hotel would have been good to. I also think we should have advertised to the public that the instant gallery was open this I think would get more interest in woodturning both as an art form and get more people interested in turning as a hobby. I do not mean to offend anyone. All and all I feel that it was a very good event and am planning on going to the next one.

River Rat

Back