• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

"restoration " help

A friend of mine from Australia (the one whose son lived and 5 other died in a tragic car accident 1 1/2 years ago) is a "bowlaholic", and has bought several things from me. 2 months after her son's accident their $500,000+ home burned. (faulty wiring I think-no one hurt. She told the kids to grab a few treasures, and she brought out as much of her wood things as she could!!!! before the fire dept got there).
She had a jarrah burl small plate that survived, but was sent to restoration from ? smoke (water??) "inhalation". The burl is now dull, but beautiful (flat now) figure. (no odor!!!). She tried to "revive" the luster with beeswax/walnut oil mixture I had previously given her.
Still dull, but some of my wax was left on it. Not sure there is any penetration of the oil. I am getting rid of the wax with acetone as I write.
Now what to do????Not sure what is in the desmoking odor control. Something vacuumed or pressurized?????
I don't have access to much in my finish armamentarium. (Deft Danish oil finish , shellac/linseed,alcohol (capt Eddies's mixture), mylands sanding sealer (May have a lacquer in it), myelands friction polish (has shellac in it), another friction polish with lacquer in it, and lest I get myself in a knot, (for those that remember my lacquer dilemma this summer) , lacquer. (please don't say L word) . Maybe it's a lost cause, told her I'd give the old college try. Gretch

I don't see any reason why you couldn't hand sand it down a bit (start at 180 and work your way up to a minimum of 400) and soak it real good with thinned shellac (as a sanding sealer) and after a few days steel wool that surface and start either a wipe on poly regiment for glossy or tung oil for satin. Either way the "new" finish should bring the beauty of the wood back to life. IMO

* AFTERTHOUGHT:
The wood is likely too dry now (less than ambient humidity) because of the heat from the fire and it needs a little moisture to stabilize to the ambient humidity so it wont crack. After the "sand down" I might be inclined to submerge the piece in water for a day and then let it air dry in your shop until it measures 8-10%. Someone else should chime in on this possible scenario.

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I don't know what they use either. My sister had a fire with lots of smoke damage. They cleaned the photographs I had given her. I would have thought that would be impossible. Wish I could help.

That explains the dull finish. Ozone is a very, very strong oxidizer--I used to use an ozonizer in a very elaborate saltwater coral aquarium; it would erode even the best silicone air tubing. Pretty amazing stuff though--it took away the NASTY smell of the junk coming out of the filter. I would think that you can just buff this out; white diamond and carnauba would probabloy be just fine for it--the finish is still there on the bowl, its just oxidized a bit. Just be careful about using too much compound, or you'll be left with white powder in any voids on the burl.

restoration

I did as Scott suggested. Sanded quite a bit, and used sanding sealer. I have now got to the point of the deep red/maroon returned. (it had changed to an orangish tan). Now am applying danish oil (3 coats so far) . It does drink it alot tho.
Thanks for the info on Ozone -Gretch

Back