Rethinking Woodturning Demonstrations - Using Live Video

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by AlanZ, Jul 8, 2016.

1. AlanZ

AlanZ

I recorded this video during my special interest night session at the 2016 AAW Symposium
    Rethinking Woodturning Demonstrations - Using Live Video

On AAW's Vimeo channel:
    vimeo.com/173931450

View: https://vimeo.com/173931450

On AlanZ's YouTube channel:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnxKFbc0tnk

I hope it inspires you to consider how this kind of capability can help share woodturning demonstrations to audiences that have previously not been well served.

Your comments are welcome... let's get the conversation started!
    Alan Z.

----------------------------------------------------
    Session description:

Wouldn't it be great if woodturning presenters could do their demonstrations from their own shops with their own tools, and have a live interactive audience participation in a faraway chapter location? No travel time and costs, no equipment packing, and availability of presenters from all over the world. chapters could afford more and varied presentations for their members. Presenters (both experienced and new) could reach a wider audience.
    This session covers...
    1) How presenters can use the Internet, low-cost computers, webcams, audio, software, and free video feeds to present multi-camera demonstrations.
    2) Typical chapter set-ups to make online demonstrations interactive, seeing and taking questions from the audience.
    3) Related topics, including rights to record and sending samples to the audience in advance, to pass around.
    4) Using the same equipment to record videos that show your work and educate fellow turners.

Gerald Lawrence likes this.
  2. Emiliano Achaval

Emiliano Achaval

Home Page:
    The future is here! I would like to say thank you to Alan for taking the the time to teach me and help me set up everything for the remote live interactive demo. I'm now setting up to do better quality youtube and our club videos, as well as demos. I highly recommend watching Alan's video, I didn't go to Atlanta, but I felt I was there watching him.

3. Gerald Lawrence

Gerald Lawrence

Enjoyed being there and will also enjoy viewing this again. Thanks for your help.

4. Douglas Ladendorf

Douglas Ladendorf

Well done presentation Alan. Thank you for making it available.

Doug

5. AlanZ

AlanZ

Thanks all for the kind words about my presentation.

Have any of you begun discussions with your clubs about the possibility of receiving remote demonstrations?
    I know that many clubs don't meet in the summer, but I would like to get a sense of what kind of internet connections are available at your club location.

One good benchmark is to bring a computer to the venue, make the best available connection and report the numbers returned by clicking on "begin test" on http://www.speedtest.net

Thanks in advance.

6. Emiliano Achaval

Emiliano Achaval

Home Page:
    I was hoping for a better response on this great and wonderful subject. I guess it can be a little intimidating, but let me tell you from experience, every club has at least one member capable of doing this. A question about how to sharpen a skew, for the 100th time, gets more views and responses than this thread talking about amazing technology, the way of the feature.

7. john lucas

john lucas

It's very intimidating for those of us who are technically challenged. I spent a rediculous amount of time on the phone yesterday just trying to get something fixed on my remote. Living out in the country where I live where internet is spotty is just one of the challenges. At each club I attend they seem to have problems with some part of the electronics at the start of each demo and that's just trying to use a couple of cameras and monitors to show the demo. Add in trying to get all of that back and forth from the internet and I think your looking at a lot of fiddling. I think it's a good idea just not a headache I need to try. I would have to run at least 150 feet of wire from my house to the shop. Then add in the cost of cameras, gadgets to hold the cameras, etc. More than I'm willing to pay to get started doing demos. I have some sort of knack for computer gear not working for me. Just like yesterday the guy says, push this button and then this one 3 times. I did exactly what he said. Didn't work. He goes, well that always works, let me see if I can find something else. He finally did after a lot more button pushing. I'm just not willing to go through the frustration of that sort of thing happening every time I try to do a demo. I'd have to hire an 10 year old to help set up all the equipment.
    We have problems getting people to volunteer for everything in the club especially running the video camera and/or doing the newsletter. Just not that many computer experts I guess, or not that many people willing to help out with the electronic end.
    I think it will probably be the way things will go in future and I thank Alan for starting the ball rolling. I just don't think it's up for our clubs yet. Maybe clubs that have more computer geeks.

8. AlanZ

AlanZ

John,

I don't think that folk are actually technically challenged. They are just technically inexperienced.
    For example, anyone who can work out the geometry for a staved gun case (hint hint) or segmented bowl, etc. can handle these kinds of tasks.
    It's just that folks aren't used to it yet.

So, given some time, and a gentle guiding hand, even those not brought up with it, even those in remote access areas, can adapt to and use these new fangled computers... and indoor plumbing.

9. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    What? Surely you jest. :D

I agree that using new technology devices isn't that difficult ... it's just something new to learn. Like anything else there are pros and cons as well as overcoming resistance to change. John does bring up valid points that shouldn't be discounted.

10. AlanZ

AlanZ

Bill, I am not discounting John's points at all, and we know each other well enough that I can kid him a bit.

I come back to the point that none of this is brain surgery, and that it is not beyond the capabilities of those who demonstrate woodturning.

11. Emiliano Achaval

Emiliano Achaval

Home Page:
    The club's side is very simple. If you can turn on your computer and log on to this forum, then you can do it. I'm working on the set up to be able to do videos, live streaming and demos, I have not spend more than 200$ and I'm almost ready. It's not rocket science. Both ends are very simple. If you figured it out how to use a bowl gouge without catches, you can do it, it's far easier than that.

12. Bill Bulloch

Bill Bulloch

Home Page:
    I really like this concept. With the cost of demonstrators on an upward spiral, this just maybe the answer for small clubs like ours. With many of the local demonstrators asking $200 and up and out of State demonstrators wanting $300+ for a demo and $700+ for an all day workshop plus travel expenses, this maybe the only way that many clubs can continue to have a quality demonstration at every meeting.

I would, however, hate to commit scarce money for start-up only to have the idea of Live Video Demonstrations fizzle out. I read hear where setup is easy, but what about the cost of setup? Will there be enough demonstrators join up like Lyle and Emiliano to justify that cost? And, what might the cost of a Live Video Demonstration cost a club? Any idea of what Lyle charged for his recent Live Video Demonstration? How will we know when new demonstrator come on-line?

Lots of questions? But, a strong interest.

13. AlanZ

AlanZ

Bill,

I don't know if you got to see my video (link in the first message of this thread). If not, you might want to take a look, as I cover some of these topics.

I point out that there is a chicken and egg scenario. The more demonstrators who can provide remote demonstrations, the more attractive it is for clubs to set up to receive such demos. And the more clubs who can receive demos indicates to demonstrators that perhaps they should set up to give such demonstrations.

Generally, from the club side, there might be very little expense to set up to receive a demo, especially if the club already has and is using a monitor/tv.
    There is always a club member who has a notebook computer or tablet that can accept the remote feed and display it on the monitor.
    So the "investment" is really making sure there is a good internet connection (perhaps buying an ethernet cable to avoid some wifi issues), and preferably also having a webcam and a microphone so the demonstrator can see/hear the audience.

14. AlanZ

AlanZ

I forgot to mention that the AAW is working on a registry of demonstrators, and one of the things we will be adding is data about whether a demonstrator can present remotely.

15. Gerald Lawrence

Gerald Lawrence

Alan I ordered some cable to test thru Vmix and will order web cam to go with our Panasonic video camera. Will have to test internet connection which is usually not too good in the sticks where we meet. Again I appreciate your help.

16. Lyle Jamieson

Lyle Jamieson

Home Page:
    The cost to the club is usually nothing. It is
    Most clubs will have no or very little cost to get up and running to accept on-line demos. It is possible that some wiring extensions could be needed, at a very small expense. Most clubs have a monitor for their own local demos. All we do is hook up the monitor to a laptop, any borrowed laptop. Even with small clubs that do not have a monitor, the laptop screen will work by itself. Alan and I have a quick checklist to use for getting the club setup, with equipment most clubs already have on hand already. We also do a test run prior to the event date to get comfortable with it. It takes no special computer program or knowledge to accept demos. Have your program chair or club president call me for more details. 231-947-2348

charlie knighton likes this.
  17. peterjohnson

peterjohnson

Has the information on remote demonstrations been added to the registry yet? Our club has had two online demos so far, one by Lyle Jamieson and one by Mike Mahoney. Both were very good. We'd be interested having additional presentations.

Emiliano Achaval likes this.
  18. Emiliano Achaval

Emiliano Achaval

Home Page:
    Hello Peter, take a look at my web site www.hawaiiankoaturner.com there you can see the topics of my demos under the demonstrations tab. Aloha.

19. AlanZ

AlanZ

All I can say at the moment is that a demonstrator directory is actively being worked on by the AAW.

Emiliano Achaval likes this.
  20. AlanZ

AlanZ

Gerald (and others) let me know if you want/need any help with testing or possible configurations.