• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

ribbons ??

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
If you mean making wood look like a ribbon, you would have to see Frank Sudol's piece that looks like a bunch of ribbons blowing up in the wind. Spectacular piece.
If you mean throwing shavings that look like ribbons it's just a matter of using green wood a good sharp bowl gouge and cutting in the proper direction.

ribbons

thanks john and malcolm. malcolm thats what im"n looking for. i don"t know if i can make anything like that but i want to try. john the only thing i can find about frank is about his death. i would like to see the piece you were talking about. ed

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Edward,

below is one of Franks Ribbon series on the American Woodturner cover Spring 2006.
This was a piece Frank Donated to an Emergency relief Auction for Katrina,Rita and other disasters.

if you are an AAW member logon to the members only

select 2006 then spring

Happy turning,
Al

Attachments

• cover1.jpg
    cover1.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Back