• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Right Angle Randon Orbital Sander - Electric

Website
www.hungermountainarts.com
Checking see if anyone knows if there is a 3.5 inch right angle randon orbital sander out on the market that is electric not air.

I've convinced myself I saw one recently in a trade magazine but have been unable to locate it again. I'm now thinking I dreamed it up.

Any help would be appreicated.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I have one of the Matabo and one of the Griots Garage
http://autogeek.net/griots-orbital-polisher.html

Use them for polishing not sanding, but I like them both. Not much difference between the two except the Matabo has a brake on it. The Griot's is meant for polishing so it may have an issue with wood dust.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'm curious about the high speed of the OPM, 5,000 to 10,000. Seems like a very high speed for sanding. I work on both green and dried wood.

Thats a good question that I never thought of.....
The Metabo is 5K-10K, but with a random orbit, they talk no load speed. I don't think those are at all attainable with the sandpaper in contact with the wood. As soon as you touch, the disk slows down dramatically, in fact, if you have a soft pad in between you will see if distort until you touch the wood.
The Metabo has a brake, a piece of rubber between the metal side of the disk and the body, to slow down the disk under pressure (I guess). I took it off to see how it performs, but it didn't make a whole lot of difference. They don't have much torque, and probably don't need to. The idea with an RO is to make the little swirls you would like to with a drill. The little swirls help to hide the previous grits scratch marks.

If you were in the TX area, you can come by and try both of them, but your profile doesn't show where you are.

But because of physical size, they don't work well on th inside if small pieces.

Back