• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Router lathe

I few years back, when I was new to turning, I saw in a mans shop a machine he called a router lathe. He had made it himself and said he got the plans from some old woodworking magazine. Made of plywood, and bicycle parts you could put your stock in it and then using a hand crank you could turn the stock while a router move down giving you a spiral flute.
Awesome machine!!
While not a lathe in the trueist form it could make great spindle type of turnings. I can't help but think about how it might be adapted for bowls. But here is the problem, I CAN'T FIND THE PLANS !!! I"ve looked everywhere and came out empty, and the man has moved.
So, can anyone help me find the plans? It looked so simple to build but Im a carpenter not an engineer!! So I can't draw up the plans from memory.

Any help would be great.
Thanks and keep on turning!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There was an article in Wood Magazine in their seminar series that described how to make a router lathe, although it did not permit the making of spirals. It was dedicated to making flutes, tapered legs, various types of beads, etc. I searched their website but couldn't find it. Their seminar series seem to have disappeared through re-organization unfortunately.

DGD

I'm not positive if it is the same plan, but Bill Hylton's(sp) book "Router Magic"
had device similar to what you describe.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
David
Jake is right. You can get that book from Amazon.com Sears quit making the Router Crafter. You can pick them up on Ebay but be prepared to pay new price for them I think I payed $139 which is what they actually sold for when they were dropped. I refused to pay more than that. I have seen them go for less , after I bought mine of course.
There is a company selling a much improved and more expensive version but my catalogs are in boxes right now and I can't find it. www.bealtool.com also sells an adaptor to go to a mini lathe that will turn sprirals.

If you look on page 4 of the members galleries and look in Jeff Jilg's gallery, he has a picture of a "fluting" machine that is lathe-mounted.

Thanks guys I know there are metal versions but make-it-yourself plywood plans would allow me more leadway to adapt the lathe for custom uses. I'
ll get the book "Router Magic" and see if that will help.

DGD, I think Wood Magazine is the source I was looking for but I ran into the same road block.

Well thanks alot guys I'll keep looking and if I find the plans I'll be sure to post them for AAW members.

Keep on turning!!!

I think I have exactly what you are looking for. It is in a book titled Router Magic by Bill Hylton. It has complete plans and instructions for building a router lathe using mostly wood, but also bicycle sprockets and chain, and other easy to get metal parts.

This book is published by American Woodworker magazine, so that could very well be the source of your friend's plans. It is on Amazon.com for $12.89 new.

It looks like a really neat machine. It includes a photo of some spiral-turned legs and other work done on it.

I hope this helps out a fellow Okie woodworker.

Back