Rust on lathe bed

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Robert Feingold, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Robert Feingold

Robert Feingold

My Lathe has been in storage for a while and i noticed rust on the lathe bed. Any
    suggestions on best way to remove?
    Thanks Rob
    IMG_8663.JPG IMG_8664.JPG IMG_8662.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2017
  2. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I would try using a Scotch Brite pad and perhaps follow that with 600 grit silicon carbide paper to smooth out any rough areas. Finally, to protect the iron from rust and improve smoothness, I would use Johnson's Paste Wax. I would be hesitant to use any chemical rust removers because they leave their own stain and can etch the surface.

Lamar Wright likes this.
  3. john lucas

john lucas

Scotch brite pads with an application of Evapo-rust. Evapo-rust doesn't leave any residue, doesn't damage the surface and can be wiped up with water. Best rust remover I've ever found. Then hit it with the 600 grit and apply any rust preventative. I use an application of WD-40 about once a week normally. If I'm turning green wood I spray it and wipe it down before and after I turn.

Lamar Wright likes this.
  4. odie

odie

You don't need to over-think this. o_O

Steel wool and oil.....mixed with a moderate amount of elbow grease.

(Just about any oil works.....whatever you have in your shop. 3-in-1, WD40, motor oil......)

Clean up with rags.......done. :D

-----odie-----

5. Richard Coers

Richard Coers

I'd start with a single edge razor blade on that machine. It will take the rust scale off, and the other crud. Then use oil and abrasive.

odie likes this.
  6. John Torchick

John Torchick

I had some discoloration that would probably be classed as rust. I hit the bed lightly with 400 wet/dry sand paper. It removed the rust and smoothed out the marks from the Blanchard grinder. I then applied a very thin coating of Ballisticol. I then wiped off the Ballisticol. Left a smooth bed. Did this to the banjo and the tailstock! Have to be careful. Slide the tailstock too hard and it will wind up on the floor. ;)
    Your situation will be much different. Did you lube it before you put it in storage?
    Saw a guy take out a brand new shotgun that had been kept in a synthetic lamb's wool case. Looked like it had measles.