• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Safety gear for young (or smaller) turners

Does anyone have specific recommendations on face shields and goggles that are sized to fit young turners? I have a couple face shields where the headband can adjust pretty small, but the shield is so big it is cumbersome for the kid to work around. This is for beginners, we won't be turning large out of balance items, so basic gear should be adequate.

Thanks

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
We used the face shields from woodcraft at Maryland Hall. They adjust to fit each child's head
We had kids from 8 on up to 16. We would put tape on each and write the names of the students on them. Made it easy for me to call the kids by name.

Most all face shields adjust.

One caution is to remind kids not to lift the shield an rub their eyes when they have sawdust all over their hands. Also remind them to lift the shield before they blow sawdust off of something.

My Uvex faceshield can be sized to fit my nine year old grandson. He brings his own foam earplugs.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I have a really small head. I have to buy kids hats to fit. The Uvex face shield easily fits me and has adjustments left. Can't say if the shield itself would get in the way or not

Back