• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sanding Sealer and Poly Wipe-On

I have used the Minwax Poly wipe-on and am very pleased with the results. The Minwax sanding sealer can says it is for use under Polyurethane but does not mention the wipe-on poly which has oil in it. Can you use sanding sealer under wipe-on poly or would the sealer prevent proper penetration of the oil in the wipe on poly? I don't really need the sealer but thought it might help during the sanding process.

Some sanding sealers are stearated to keep the dust from clogging your paper. Not a good thing with oil base stuff. Poly makes a mechanical bond, so you'll be good as long as you sand the sealer. If the sealer seals at all, it will slow the uptake of oil.

Experiment on scrap, rather than your project.

R

Ron Sardo

IMO, you don't need sanding sealer.

If you feel sanding sealer will help, mix your own by thinning some oil based poly. 50/50 to 30/70 MS/poly should work fine.

Sealer

I swear by Min-wax products. However, I use a sealer only on soft woods. I have had very good luck with General Finishes "Seal-A-Cel", then following up with Min-wax Wipe-on Poly....at least 4 coats, sanding before final coat with VERY fine steel wool (or same in sandpaper), mainly to get rid of "dust lumps".
Be sure to allow 24 hours between coats.

Last edited:
I use 2 kinds of sanding sealer and which depends on the wood I am using. The first is a spray can variety I get at my local dollar store It sprays on very clear (or slightly white if I go too heavy) and I like to use it on light colored spalted wood. I use it before sanding and sometimes as a spot stiffener before doing final turning on pieces mushy tear out. I have done this with various poly finishes (name brand and store brands of gloss, semi gloss and satins) and they all turn out well. On darker woods I use oil based sanding sealer from ace hardware. I use it in a variety of ways and usually when I am going to do an oil finish. A poly finish still sticks to it just fine but I have found the mix gives a slightly yellow cast under some lights that doesn't look right to me.

Back