Sanding Sealer

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Lamar Wright, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Lamar Wright

Lamar Wright

Hello Turners, does anyone use a water base sanding sealer? Is so or if not what are the pros and cons? I bought some sanding sealer from Mylands and it seems to work well but however it has harsh flumes and my wife complained about the strong odor since my shop is in the basement. Is there a good option for a low odor sealer? I did not use a sealer making pens just CA. May have to use sealer in my garage! lol

2. Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson

I have used clear Shellac as a sanding sealer and there is very little odor to deal with.

hockenbery likes this.
  3. John Torchick

John Torchick

Thanks, Mike.
    Two options, Lamar- use a non-fuming sealer or get your wife an apartment. I recommend the former.

Lamar Wright likes this.
  4. tdrice

tdrice

I use a rattle can shellac. It has little odor, dries quickly and is suitable as an undercoat for almost any other finish.

Lamar Wright likes this.
  5. Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson

To make the Shellac application quicker and easier, I store a wood handled brush in a plastic
    screw lid bottle with and inch of alcohol in the bottom. I usually apply the Shellac using this brush
    and put it directly into the bottle with the alcohol after each use. This saves having to clean the
    brush each time and I can usually reach in with a finger and fish the brush out of the plastic bottle
    without getting Shellac on my hands.

6. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Home Page:
    I use shellac mixed with twice the alcohol as a sanding sealer.
    Also use it to stiffen slightly punky wood.
    Dries in a few minutes.

7. Lamar Wright

Lamar Wright

lol !

8. john lucas

john lucas

I have never found a need for sanding sealer. I played with it early on but for my purposes I just don't need it. Sometimes I use Shellac to seal knots or to lock in a color before applying more color. I finish a lot of products with Lacquer and if I want more penetration I thin the first coat which is in effect a sealer.

Bill Boehme and Lamar Wright like this.
  9. Lamar Wright

Lamar Wright

Good idea Mike. So you use one part shellac and two parts alcohol for the mix? Do you use denatured alcohol or regular rubbing alcohol?

10. Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson

I use denatured most of the time, I use Zinsser Shellac straight out of the can for sealing.

11. Lamar Wright

Lamar Wright

Thanks Mike.

12. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Never rubbing alcohol, not even the 91% kind. There are two kinds of denatured alcohol at the hardware store... the regular stuff that is mostly methanol and a little ethanol and not very nice to handle or breathe ... and, the "green" variety that is mostly ethanol. I prefer the "green" variety. It isn't as bad about drying my hands, it doesn't irritate my sinuses, it's the traditional shellac solvent, and it's environmentally friendly.

Regis Galbach and Lamar Wright like this.
  13. Lamar Wright

Lamar Wright

Hey, thanks Bill for that information on alcohol. Will the "green" denatured alcohol be labeled as such or just look for mostly ethanol for the ingredients? I am going to mix my own sealer using shellac and alcohol.

14. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Here is what the KleenStrip brand looks like: http://www.kleanstrip.com/product/green-denatured-alcohol

It's what regular denatured alcohol used to be before most of it started being used as an additive to auto gas.

Lamar Wright likes this.
  15. John Torchick

John Torchick

Kleenstrip is what I have used for years. Get it at Lowe's.

16. Lamar Wright

Lamar Wright

Thanks Bill, I'll get me a can of KleenStrip tomorrow. Happy turning, ps- good look on your back surgery Bill. I had lower back surgery in 2007 and haven't had any back pain since.
    Thanks John, getting a can of it tomorrow. Happy turning

17. Dave Mueller

Dave Mueller

When I use a sanding sealer, I use shellac. However, be aware that the Zinsser shellac you buy at Lowes may not be dewaxed. Zinsser sells a dewaxed shellac but it is sold under the name "Seal Coat Sanding Sealer", If it is not dewaxed, your top finish coat may not bond unless you sand the shellac back to the wood surface.

18. Lamar Wright

Lamar Wright

Thanks Dave for that information. I'll be sure and make sure the shellac is dewaxed.