1. Join the Go-To Source for Woodturners!

Please read the new sticky announcement here for full details.

Dismiss Notice

Savannah turning tool qualty

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Gary Beasley, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Gary Beasley

Gary Beasley

image.jpeg image.jpeg I have a beef about a tool I bought a the wood show a few years back. Its a carbide tipped hook nosed hollowing tool with the Savannah brand on it. On the surface a nice looking tool with a 3/4 inch flat bar. A week ago I got it out to work on a greenwood red oak hollow form and the bar started to deform in a bad way, wasn't even putting a lot of torque on it. A closer look revealed the 3/4 inch bar was necked down to 1/4 inch at the handle and the shaft bent at that weakend point. Poor design or material or both.

2. John Torchick

John Torchick

Contact the seller. Not a good advertisement for their product. Thanks for the report.

3. john lucas

john lucas

Why in the world would you neck anything that large down to 1/4". Someone really missed the boat.

4. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Never heard of that brand and I bet that nobody in Savannah has either. :D

Stresses always concentrate at a discontinuity ... meaning a sharp corner. That sharp inside corner is an open invitation to problems ... small tang as John said and sharp corners. Look at a quality tool and you will see rounded inside corners where there is a possibility of bending stresses.