• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Secrets Revealed, Segmented Rims

If you have the skill and like a challenge, try turning a bowl with a segmented rim. Here is my step-by-step process. It takes patience, persistence, and an intuitive sense of tool application to pull this off.

Attachments

• WEBOsage bowl.jpg
    WEBOsage bowl.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 1,075
  • 4.GluingWEB.jpg
    4.GluingWEB.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 1,069
  • 3.Checking the angleWEB.jpg
    3.Checking the angleWEB.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,074
  • 2.Cutting the SegmentsWEB.jpg
    2.Cutting the SegmentsWEB.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,073
  • 1.The PlanWEB.jpg
    1.The PlanWEB.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,076
Last edited:
Website
www.tahoeturner.com
Jim,
I’m sure many novice segmenters appreciate your instructions – nice job. I do have a concern regarding the potential cross-grain glue joint, which is created between the segmented ring and two sides of the solid wood bowl. In the example that you illustrate (72 segments), it’s probably not a huge concern, but you suggest that “If you are doing this for the first time, scale your plan to 6 to 12 segments.†Using as few as 6 segments will create very wide (long) cross-grain joints on two sides of the bowl. This is really asking for trouble as long-term wood movement will put excessive stress on those joints.

Just my opinion.

Good point

I've actually never done a segmented bowl with only six pieces. My point was to scale down to something simpler, and twelve would probably be better.

Back