• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

segmented set up blocks

Hi,New turner here.I saw some segmented bowl set up guage blocks at Rockler.They are made of orange/clear acrylic and lazer cut for accuracy.They are used for setting up the table saw and you adjust the mitre to the blocks which rests against the blade.Has anyone used these block and did they work well?Gary

Website
www.gulfcoastwoodturners.org
Be Careful With Rockler Angle Blocks

Gary - You have to be careful using the Rockler angle blocks.

Consider an 8 segment ring. The Rockler angle block for an 8 segment ring says 45 degrees. But the segment cutting angle for an 8 segment ring is not 45 degrees. It's 22.5 degrees - one half of 45 degrees. So, you cannot use the Rockler angle block labeled 8 segments to setup your segment cutting sled/miter gauge. You must use the Rockler angle block labeled 16 segments (22.5 degrees) to setup your segment cutting sled/miter gauge.

And so it goes with each of the Rockler angle blocks. - John

I noticed that the advertisement and illistration isnt what you get when you order them because the ones I got say 8 segments 22.5 degrees,the 4 seg says 45 deg.,12 seg says 15 deg,the 16 seg says 11.25 deg. and thats what they are.Wierd that they didnt have it right when they made the add.Gary

Back