• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

David Bell

Website
www.stickermetimbers.com
Hello everyone, this is my first post here on the forum even though I have been here a short time since December of 2009. There is so much great information here and I have usually found what I need without having to ask for help. There's a compliment in there somewhere I believe.....:)

I have taken a keen interest in segmented turnings and decided to expand my knowledge in this area. I have several books now for reference including Malcolm Tibbetts and I have scoured the internet for more information, but I have not been able to find a lot of information on a press for gluing up the segmented rings. The most common press that I cross on the internet is designed for veneer applications. I have found one press that belongs to Kevin Neelley from turnedwood.com. that I used as a reference for ideas.

I took it upon myself to build my own press from the items in my shop. It still requires a few finishing touches, but I am curious to see what other turners are using for gluing and clamping for their segmented projects. Here is a picture of the nearly completed press. The presses capacity will fit a project up to 18" in diameter by 16" high.

Suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated.

Dave Bell

press11.jpg

hi dave, welcome to the forum

nice looking press, there is an online chapter of the AAW just for us crazy segmented woodturners.

http://www.segmentedwoodturners.org/

there under the jigs section of the forum you will find a discussion on presses some use them some don't. I have three that I use.

http://segmentedwoodturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=238

here's a pic of mine:

vv13.jpg

Mine are just made from pieces of 2 x 4 with adjustable cross bar. the only difference between the three of them is the height of the arms and on the laregest one, the plate is 24 x 24 with 30 inch arms. the one shown in the pic is the small one with a 13 x 13 plate and 15 inch arms.

IAN

Bowl press

Great idea and design! I haven't gotten into bowls but see that your set-up would have advantages.
I see a drill and a press. Doesn't that make it a drill press?:D

Back