Share picture of your lathe/shop area

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by jcooper, Mar 7, 2007.

1. jcooper

jcooper

while seeing several posts (including the short bed lathe inquiry by Odie) I got an Idea.

How about sharing pictures of your lathe and shop area. It would be great to see where (and how) we all work and organize our toys.

Also, some of us may want to mouthwater over some of these lathes. This is your time to show off. Don't be bashfull, and have fun.

2. David Somers

David Somers

Ballard (Seattle) WA and Volcano, Hawaii....on top
    Well, Here 'tis. A Jet 1642ps, with about 500lbs of cement bags on a shelf under it, covered in plastic so it stays dry and useable when I want some. The wooden box below the cement is for my wife to use if she turns. (she did it once and had a blast, but hasn't done it since....hope she gets back to it again. Was fun to watch her!!) Other handy storage on the wire shelf behind and above the lathe. Cupboards for more storage above it. You can't see it in this shot, but a small single stage dust collector sits behind the lather to the right, though you can see the blue loctite collection hose behind the lathe tucked out of the way. You can also see a set of bins for holding sanding disks above and to the right of the lathe, and above and to the left of the lathe are a bunch more bins for various screws and nails and stuff. The garbage can to the left of the lathe holds danish oil for soaking pines. The orange bucket holds Cedar Treat for stabilizing green woods. My vacuum pump is behind the lathe on its left side.

Tool drawer on wheels with grinders on top to the right. It holds most of my tools and chucks and whatnot. I can keep this lathe fairly close to the wall since I can run the headstock to the right all the way and don't need to get behind the lathe to work at all. I have really liked that feature in this lathe. The bare wall to the right of the Grinders is a garage door. It is usually open when I work. Bandsaw way off on the right, with a homemade circle cutting jig I use to cut bowl blanks. A Drill Press to the right of that.

A fair sized workbench in the forground with a really versatile pattern maker's vice on the near end, and a router table I built into the far end to save space.

Out of view on the left is a wall mounted work bench with cabinets overhead and shelving below. Right at my back is stock of sheet stock and sticks for non lathe work. I keep most of my turning stock outside in a small covered shed I built. I try to turn green start to finish most of the time so I don't have tons of roughed bowls drying everywhere. Lighting is compact flourescents in the ceiling, and CF task lights by the tools. Been a good setup. Size is roughly 20 long by 12 wide.

Hope this helps!! Anxious to see what others do with their space!

Dave

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  3. OK you asked for it

OK JCOOPER you asked for pics of our shops. If the pics up-load, I haven't done this before, you'll see what I have in a 10' X 15' (9 1/2' X 14 1/2') 123 sq ft garden shed. The first pic shows my NOVA DVR XP lathe right next to my VEGA 2600 bowl lathe. The work bench/desk with computer - after all why would I want to walk all the way into the house to order some new toy on line. The second pic shows the same lathes at the other angle along with lots of stuff hanging. The third pic shows that even in a small space you have to have a drill press, 18" bandsaw and of course a Tormek sharpening system. It looks busy, which it is but at least I know where almost everything is.

Attached Files:

4. odie

odie

Hey, great idea, jcooper.....

Like the man said, don't be shy men. .....(and ladies, of course! :D )

This could be one of the most interesting threads of all time on the woodturner forums. I'm looking forward to seeing your shop. You may not know it, but this is a great way to inspire some of us to.....um.....higher plateaus!

Here's a little peek at my shop. Click on the link below, and see more of my stuff. :cool2:

otis of Cologne

Attached Files:

5. john lucas

john lucas

6. DougBrown

DougBrown

Home Page:
    Uhhh... I'll get back to you in a year when I have mine clean enough to publish pictures of it :eek:

7. flyrod444

flyrod444

This is where I do my turning. Since I teach high school shop I have two old rockwell delta lathes to use. The local club leaves their Jet mini at my shop so I can also use it.

[​IMG]

8. Jack Savona

Jack Savona

Home Page:
    How DO you get those shops so clean???? Even with a DC going, I still have a significant layer of dust over everything (so glad I use a respirator!) and shavings everywhere. "Monk" I'm not!

Seriously, some of you have such nice space to work in...so much larger than my cramped basement.

But I still love my space...like each of you do! It's our own world, whatever the size.

Jack Savona

9. Mike Cunningham

Mike Cunningham

Home Page:
    Here's my lathe area

My shop is a separate 24X24 building. Below is a photo of my main lathe area, showing my VL300 3 HP shortbed, tool rack, lathe accessory storage cabinets, air hose drop and vac pump.

I also have a VL100 and an old Rockwell/Delta that I'm restoring. I had the pic of the Vic, I'll take additional shop photos in the daylight.

Mike

Attached Files:

10. Richard Baker

Richard Baker RIP

Just a Thought

Have no pictures, as present shop at "old" property is bare, and construction of new shop at "new" property just begun. But have an observation after seeing pictures above. New shop is the fourth in 25 years, and I always paint the walls with a couple/three coats of "ceiling white". As age and infirmity take their toll, I need more light, and the bright white walls help more than you might think. But even that first shop 25 years ago had white walls. This time am even considering a white or very light floor finish of some kind. Just a thought.

11. Jake Debski

Jake Debski

I'll second the motion

Painted the walls of our basement white, much easier on the eyes.

12. n7bsn

n7bsn

Home Page:
    I did some panorama merging in Photoshop and loaded them to my website (warning the images are large)

This image. Starting on the right is the lumber storage, jointer, dust collector, planer, sanders, drill-press, (door), bandsaw, tablesaw, bench, welder, sharping station, bench with the Nova-DVR in the foreground (with my first segmented bowl). Overhead is the air-filter and lights

This photo set is taken from near the tablesaw. From right is bench and tools, welder, bench (with microwave), turning stock (with Nova-DVR in front), lumber, dust collector, jointer, planer, thickness sander, radial-arm drill press and disk-sander.

The last photo set is taken from near the lathe. Starts on the right with the jointer and progresses around to the wood.

13. n7bsn

n7bsn

Home Page:
    Ohh... a Vega, and close by!

14. randyrhine

randyrhine

Home Page:
    Here's my turning room...

Attached Files:

• shop.jpg
      shop.jpg
      File size:
      48.9 KB
      Views:
  15. Brian McInturff

Brian McInturff

So here's a couple older pictures. I've still got everything in here plus added a Laguna LT16. I rearranged it a little once I added it but the layout is pretty much the same. Shop is a 12x16 portable building

Attached Files:

16. charlie knighton

charlie knighton

plastic sheeting and duct tape

i have a wish list.....i have only been turning a little over a year, so i am still on shoe string but my biggest problem is dust so i have tried to isolate shop area from ductwork and rest of basement

if anybody has any low tech and inexpesive improvements i believe in listening to any and all suggestions :D

i do not turn any exotics inside the basement

Attached Files:

17. Richard Baker

Richard Baker RIP

Inexpensive Low Tech

Charlie,
    Looks like you already have an air filter unit hung from the ceiling. I use a 20" box fan with HVAC filter located at spindle height directly behind the lathe. Low speed for turning, high speed for sanding. It's remarkably effective at drawing the dust away from my breathing zone. Also use an extra layer of foam filter across the front of the A/C-Heater unit.

18. Jake Debski

Jake Debski

19. filters

Filtering the air in my small shop has been quite a challenge. I started with a powerful large bagged system located next door to my little shop. The problem with this system is it drew all my warm air out of the shop within a matter of minutes. An air to air heat exchanger was too complicated. This meant what ever filtering I wanted to do had to take place in the shop. So I now have the Jet filter box for general air filtering plus I use the large Fein shop vacuum with the 1 micron filter attached to a movable hood. This system takes care of most of the dust but still I usually wear a mask. It is not an inexpensive system but my lungs appreciate it.

20. Sky

Sky

What!!! :eek: A whole year. Don't you think you should have us all over to see it in person between rotations at the symposium in June?? :cool2: