• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Share picture of your lathe/shop area

while seeing several posts (including the short bed lathe inquiry by Odie) I got an Idea.

How about sharing pictures of your lathe and shop area. It would be great to see where (and how) we all work and organize our toys.

Also, some of us may want to mouthwater over some of these lathes. This is your time to show off. Don't be bashfull, and have fun.

Ballard (Seattle) WA and Volcano, Hawaii....on top
Well, Here 'tis. A Jet 1642ps, with about 500lbs of cement bags on a shelf under it, covered in plastic so it stays dry and useable when I want some. The wooden box below the cement is for my wife to use if she turns. (she did it once and had a blast, but hasn't done it since....hope she gets back to it again. Was fun to watch her!!) Other handy storage on the wire shelf behind and above the lathe. Cupboards for more storage above it. You can't see it in this shot, but a small single stage dust collector sits behind the lather to the right, though you can see the blue loctite collection hose behind the lathe tucked out of the way. You can also see a set of bins for holding sanding disks above and to the right of the lathe, and above and to the left of the lathe are a bunch more bins for various screws and nails and stuff. The garbage can to the left of the lathe holds danish oil for soaking pines. The orange bucket holds Cedar Treat for stabilizing green woods. My vacuum pump is behind the lathe on its left side.

Tool drawer on wheels with grinders on top to the right. It holds most of my tools and chucks and whatnot. I can keep this lathe fairly close to the wall since I can run the headstock to the right all the way and don't need to get behind the lathe to work at all. I have really liked that feature in this lathe. The bare wall to the right of the Grinders is a garage door. It is usually open when I work. Bandsaw way off on the right, with a homemade circle cutting jig I use to cut bowl blanks. A Drill Press to the right of that.

A fair sized workbench in the forground with a really versatile pattern maker's vice on the near end, and a router table I built into the far end to save space.

Out of view on the left is a wall mounted work bench with cabinets overhead and shelving below. Right at my back is stock of sheet stock and sticks for non lathe work. I keep most of my turning stock outside in a small covered shed I built. I try to turn green start to finish most of the time so I don't have tons of roughed bowls drying everywhere. Lighting is compact flourescents in the ceiling, and CF task lights by the tools. Been a good setup. Size is roughly 20 long by 12 wide.

Hope this helps!! Anxious to see what others do with their space!

Dave

Attachments

• Davesshop.jpg
    Davesshop.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 1,651
Last edited:
Ruby Creek Marsh Wildlife Preserve, Port Orchard,
Website
www.wiltermood.com
OK you asked for it

OK JCOOPER you asked for pics of our shops. If the pics up-load, I haven't done this before, you'll see what I have in a 10' X 15' (9 1/2' X 14 1/2') 123 sq ft garden shed. The first pic shows my NOVA DVR XP lathe right next to my VEGA 2600 bowl lathe. The work bench/desk with computer - after all why would I want to walk all the way into the house to order some new toy on line. The second pic shows the same lathes at the other angle along with lots of stuff hanging. The third pic shows that even in a small space you have to have a drill press, 18" bandsaw and of course a Tormek sharpening system. It looks busy, which it is but at least I know where almost everything is.

Attachments

• P1040663.JPG
    P1040663.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 1,595
  • P1040664.JPG
    P1040664.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,543
  • P1040666.JPG
    P1040666.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,509

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Hey, great idea, jcooper.....

Like the man said, don't be shy men. .....(and ladies, of course! :D )

This could be one of the most interesting threads of all time on the woodturner forums. I'm looking forward to seeing your shop. You may not know it, but this is a great way to inspire some of us to.....um.....higher plateaus!

Here's a little peek at my shop. Click on the link below, and see more of my stuff. :cool2:

otis of Cologne

Attachments

• Woodfast lathe (2).jpg
    Woodfast lathe (2).jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 1,419
  • Work bench (2).jpg
    Work bench (2).jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,423
This is where I do my turning. Since I teach high school shop I have two old rockwell delta lathes to use. The local club leaves their Jet mini at my shop so I can also use it.

IMGP3668.jpg

Website
www.mainebowls.com
How DO you get those shops so clean???? Even with a DC going, I still have a significant layer of dust over everything (so glad I use a respirator!) and shavings everywhere. "Monk" I'm not!

Seriously, some of you have such nice space to work in...so much larger than my cramped basement.

But I still love my space...like each of you do! It's our own world, whatever the size.

Jack Savona

Website
www.mikecunninghamwoodturner.com
Here's my lathe area

My shop is a separate 24X24 building. Below is a photo of my main lathe area, showing my VL300 3 HP shortbed, tool rack, lathe accessory storage cabinets, air hose drop and vac pump.

I also have a VL100 and an old Rockwell/Delta that I'm restoring. I had the pic of the Vic, I'll take additional shop photos in the daylight.

Mike

Attachments

• Shop shots 004 (2) (Small).jpg
    Shop shots 004 (2) (Small).jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,288
Just a Thought

Have no pictures, as present shop at "old" property is bare, and construction of new shop at "new" property just begun. But have an observation after seeing pictures above. New shop is the fourth in 25 years, and I always paint the walls with a couple/three coats of "ceiling white". As age and infirmity take their toll, I need more light, and the bright white walls help more than you might think. But even that first shop 25 years ago had white walls. This time am even considering a white or very light floor finish of some kind. Just a thought.

I'll second the motion

Texian said:
New shop is the fourth in 25 years, and I always paint the walls with a couple/three coats of "ceiling white". As age and infirmity take their toll, I need more light, and the bright white walls help more than you might think. But even that first shop 25 years ago had white walls. This time am even considering a white or very light floor finish of some kind. Just a thought.

Painted the walls of our basement white, much easier on the eyes.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
I did some panorama merging in Photoshop and loaded them to my website (warning the images are large)

This image. Starting on the right is the lumber storage, jointer, dust collector, planer, sanders, drill-press, (door), bandsaw, tablesaw, bench, welder, sharping station, bench with the Nova-DVR in the foreground (with my first segmented bowl). Overhead is the air-filter and lights

This photo set is taken from near the tablesaw. From right is bench and tools, welder, bench (with microwave), turning stock (with Nova-DVR in front), lumber, dust collector, jointer, planer, thickness sander, radial-arm drill press and disk-sander.

The last photo set is taken from near the lathe. Starts on the right with the jointer and progresses around to the wood.

So here's a couple older pictures. I've still got everything in here plus added a Laguna LT16. I rearranged it a little once I added it but the layout is pretty much the same. Shop is a 12x16 portable building

Attachments

• IMG_0273 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0273 (Small).JPG
    65 KB · Views: 970
  • IMG_0274 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0274 (Small).JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 962
  • IMG_0272 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0272 (Small).JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 944
plastic sheeting and duct tape

i have a wish list.....i have only been turning a little over a year, so i am still on shoe string but my biggest problem is dust so i have tried to isolate shop area from ductwork and rest of basement

if anybody has any low tech and inexpesive improvements i believe in listening to any and all suggestions :D

i do not turn any exotics inside the basement

Attachments

• shop1.JPG
    shop1.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 913
  • shop2.JPG
    shop2.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 896
  • shop3.JPG
    shop3.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 880
  • shop.JPG
    shop.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 877
  • shop5.JPG
    shop5.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 907
Inexpensive Low Tech

Charlie,
Looks like you already have an air filter unit hung from the ceiling. I use a 20" box fan with HVAC filter located at spindle height directly behind the lathe. Low speed for turning, high speed for sanding. It's remarkably effective at drawing the dust away from my breathing zone. Also use an extra layer of foam filter across the front of the A/C-Heater unit.

Website
www.wiltermood.com
filters

baitbegger said:
i have a wish list.....i have only been turning a little over a year, so i am still on shoe string but my biggest problem is dust so i have tried to isolate shop area from ductwork and rest of basement

if anybody has any low tech and inexpesive improvements i believe in listening to any and all suggestions :D

i do not turn any exotics inside the basement

Filtering the air in my small shop has been quite a challenge. I started with a powerful large bagged system located next door to my little shop. The problem with this system is it drew all my warm air out of the shop within a matter of minutes. An air to air heat exchanger was too complicated. This meant what ever filtering I wanted to do had to take place in the shop. So I now have the Jet filter box for general air filtering plus I use the large Fein shop vacuum with the 1 micron filter attached to a movable hood. This system takes care of most of the dust but still I usually wear a mask. It is not an inexpensive system but my lungs appreciate it.

Sky

DougBrown said:
Uhhh... I'll get back to you in a year when I have mine clean enough to publish pictures of it :eek:
What!!! :eek: A whole year. Don't you think you should have us all over to see it in person between rotations at the symposium in June?? :cool2:

Hi guys. I'm new to the forum, but I've been lurking for awhile. I started turning in 1998. During the past 9 years of my addiction I've collected quite a few tools, chucks, lathes - you know how it is. It's great to see pics of other people's shops, so I thought I'd contribute with a few pics of my own. My shop is 12 by 24 feet.

Note: the Union Graduate Lathe pictured is an ex-Richard Raffan production lathe. He said he has turned 30,000+ bowls on it. I have converted it to VS and restored it.

Attachments

• P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,144
  • P1010012.JPG
    P1010012.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,130
  • P1010014.JPG
    P1010014.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,108
  • P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,110

odie

TOTW Team
Fred said:
Hi guys. I'm new to the forum, but I've been lurking for awhile. I started turning in 1998. During the past 9 years of my addiction I've collected quite a few tools, chucks, lathes - you know how it is. It's great to see pics of other people's shops, so I thought I'd contribute with a few pics of my own. My shop is 12 by 24 feet.

Note: the Union Graduate Lathe pictured is an ex-Richard Raffan production lathe. He said he has turned 30,000+ bowls on it. I have converted it to VS and restored it.

Great to see you on board, Fred.....

I like the way you have your space organized.....looks like it serves you well! It's obvious that yours is a well used shop.

I'm curious about all those chucks(?) you have above your grinder. Can you show us a little more of those.

Besides the Union Graduate, I see you have two longbed lathes. A Vicmarc 300, and whatever the other one is. There are quite a few turners who have multiple lathes. I can understand having one long bed to go with your U.G., but why two? Is this just because you happen to have two, or is there a special purpose for it?

The Vicmarc 300 is one I've been interested in. Can you give us a rundown on yours......what you like and don't like about it?

Originally, I thought you had a bowl mounted on the outboard of your Vicmarc, but now that I take a closer look, I think you've made yourself an oversized handwheel. Why did you do that?

Great stuff, gentlemen.....

otis of Cologne

Last edited:
OK. I have been lurking around for about a month without any posts except to suggest a couple of sources in response to posts.

I returned to turning after a forty plus year hiatus (I made a rolling pin in high school).

I purchase a 35 year old 12†Delta-Rockwell to create some “masters†of big game fishing lures I had rolling around in my head (After creating the master in wood, a two part silicone mold is made and then the molds can be used to cast the lures out of casting resin).

Along the way, I stumbled across some Norfolk pine and some mango and decided to give it a go with traditional turnings. I quickly learned about catches and the need to wear a facemask. Some of those things can really shoot a long way. Bottom line, I was hooked.

My neighbor owns a large tree service and he now alerts me when he has some good chunks available. When he finishes for the day, I just go by and sort through the chunks.

When I decided to graduate from boxes and bottle stoppers to bowls, I mounted a nice big piece of monkey pod on the delta and the slowest speed on the step pulleys was nowhere slow enough. Scared the crap out of me with the vibration. Hence the new Jet 1642 as shown.
I know wheels on a lathe are not recommended, but I needed to be able to move it around for cleaning. I purchased the Jet super heavy-duty mobile base (purported to support 1200 pounds) and then made a cradle out of 2-inch angle. I then bolted the lathe to the cradle and bolted the mobile base to the cradle in several places along the length.

For stability, I added 100 pound concrete blocks on each end (from Home Depot) and created some supports from some leveling feet with ½ inch thread I had “put away for future use†by welding on coupling nuts to the base and another on the top with wings attached. A single turn of the support lifts the weight off the wheels and everything is nice and steady.

I put a shelf under the bed of the lathe that slopes to the rear and into a trough behind the lathe. I can then sweep the debris off the end and into a bin at the end of the trough. As you can see, all of the nooks and crannies have been sealed off and the cleanup is limited to the outside only. No more shop vac into the hidden crevasses.

I'll show the balance of the shop in a separrate posting.

Attachments

• shop 3sm.jpg
    shop 3sm.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,022
  • lathe1small.jpg
    lathe1small.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,032
  • lathe5small.jpg
    lathe5small.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,009
  • shop 2sm.jpg
    shop 2sm.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,011
Balance of the shop

Attachments

• shop 5sm.jpg
    shop 5sm.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,010
  • shop 6sm.jpg
    shop 6sm.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,004
  • shop 7sm.jpg
    shop 7sm.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 977
  • shop 8sm.jpg
    shop 8sm.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 982
  • shop 010sm.jpg
    shop 010sm.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 981
Welcome Back Jim

Jim,
Welcome back to turning after all these years. Bet you are going to love it, but you need more tools! I was similarly "gone" for about 12 years before rediscovering turning, and glad to be back.

odie

TOTW Team
You are a master of organization, Jim !.....

Great shop! You must have cleaned for a week before taking pics! (It'd take me longer than that to get mine in the shape yours is in! :D

....odie

Hi Odie,

Sorry about the delay on the reply. When I first started turning I made the usual mistake, I bought a cheap piece of s... lathe, then updated to a more expensive POS lathe - several times. I figured I'd stay with turning, so the only real option was a new Vicmarc VL300. With only one lathe, for me, the longbed was the better option. Pros: Large size, heavy, smooth, quiet, powerful, good solid cam lock banjo operation, really good variable speed control, spindle indexing and lock, solid and user friendly. The knee stop bar is a great idea, I always use it. I have spent a lot of time turning on this lathe, everything from large burls to small boxes and I certainly do like it. My lathe is a 2000 model and has been trouble free so far. No cons that I can think of. I would recommend the VL 300 to anyone wanting a quality lathe.

The reason behind the oversized handwheel (on all three lathes) is very simple. I find it gives me much more control over the spindle when fitting or removing the chuck/faceplate (ie hold the chuck still with right hand, turn handwheel with left. The larger handwheel is easier to grip and control). Also, it is easier to rotate the chuck using the handwheel with a large and heavy out of round blank to check for bed-tool rest clearance before start up.

The second blue lathe is a Vicmarc VL175 swivel head and only comes in longbed. The attraction was the versatility of the swivel head. It's a good second lathe and has also been trouble free so far.

The chucks... short answer - I hate changing jaws. I have a dozen or so (some new, some secondhand), all Vicmarc, each with a different jaw set (small to large). I find there is enough size variation to cover most mounting situations. It's just my preference. I'm always in the market for a secondhand chuck. Here in Australia, Vicmarc chucks are probably the most common quality chucks available. Pics below.

As far as options go with lathes and chucks we have Vicmarc, Woodfast, Stubby, Nova, some Jet, and some Chinese knockoffs, maybe a few others. I'm not sure whether we have any US made lathes, I haven't seen any Oneway, Powermatic or Robust etc - possibly because the market is too small.

Hope this covers it for you Odie,

Fred

Attachments

• P1010007-2.JPG
    P1010007-2.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 909
  • P1010008-2.JPG
    P1010008-2.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 902
  • P1010009-2.JPG
    P1010009-2.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 899
Last edited:
odie said:
You are a master of organization, Jim !.....

Great shop! You must have cleaned for a week before taking pics! (It'd take me longer than that to get mine in the shape yours is in! :D

....odie

Thanks for the welcome! Normally you would be correct on the weeklong cleanup, but the ocean water has been cold (in Hawaii 75 is cold) and the fishing slow, the coffee trees have been pruned and fertilized and I was really tired of pulling weeds in the yard. So I spent a few days getting re-organized just before this thread posted. A quick brooming and I took the pictures.

Website
www.wiltermood.com
Fred said:
Hi Odie,

The chucks... short answer - I hate changing jaws. I have a dozen or so (some new, some secondhand), all Vicmarc, each with a different jaw set (small to large). I find there is enough size variation to cover most mounting situations. It's just my preference. I'm always in the market for a secondhand chuck. Here in Australia, Vicmarc chucks are probably the most common quality chucks available. Pics below.

As far as options go with lathes and chucks we have Vicmarc, Woodfast, Stubby, Nova, some Jet, and some Chinese knockoffs, maybe a few others. I'm not sure whether we have any US made lathes, I haven't seen any Oneway, Powermatic or Robust etc - possibly because the market is too small.

Hope this covers it for you Odie,

Fred

Boy am I glad to see all those chucks. I was thinking I had an overkill by having 6. I also hate to change jaws plus I don't remove a turning from the chuck until it's done because you never seem to get it mounted back the same way. Right now as I look around the shop I have 3 projects sitting on the shelf with chucks on them. Since I still don't have enough chucks for all my jaws I will need another half dozen. Thanks for making me feel good about my 6 chucks. Bob

Spherebob,

Ah chucks - you can never have enough chucks. Too many chucks are just barely enough, that goes for gouges, skews, scrapers, and..., and....

The Vega 2600, we don't see this lathe in Oz (Australia). It certainly looks tough enough. Does it work well and are you happy with it? Quick review maybe?

Turff49,

The stubby is made here in Oz. I haven't used one but I've looked at one without anyone to explain the swivel bed operation. I have a fair idea of how it works. In practice why and how do you use the swivel and fixed beds? Do you have any pics of it in operation?

What's a Laguna LT16?

Cheers,

Fred

Website
woodturningde.wordpress.com
Hello Turners,
here my Lathe´s !

It´s german Lathe

1. Flott
2. Kreher

Great vom Old Germany
Ludwig :p

Attachments

• flottlein.JPG
    flottlein.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 746
  • Kreher4klein.JPG
    Kreher4klein.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 756
  • m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 740
  • m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 736
  • m3.jpg
    m3.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 744
Last edited:
Old turning shed

Here are 3 pictures of my current turning shed. The 5 ft by 11 ft wing has the grinder, lathe, turning tools and some wood. (the 5 ft by 7 ft wing (right hand door) has the lawn mower and garden things.) This summer I plan to raize this shed and then raise an 8 ft by 16 ft turning only shed which will also have the band saw and drill press. (Wish my back luck!)

Attachments

• shop shed.jpg
    shop shed.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 652
  • shop 5 x 11.jpg
    shop 5 x 11.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 648
  • shop lathe.jpg
    shop lathe.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 662
Website
www.wiltermood.com
The 2600 Follow-up

Fred said:
Spherebob,

Ah chucks - you can never have enough chucks. Too many chucks are just barely enough, that goes for gouges, skews, scrapers, and..., and....

The Vega 2600, we don't see this lathe in Oz (Australia). It certainly looks tough enough. Does it work well and are you happy with it? Quick review maybe?

The Vega is a brute and good for rough and tough jobs. The variable speed motor pulley has allot to be desired - I'm spoiled with my Nova xp's push buttons. The Vega is heavy - filled with concrete for added weight, even with that I've had it dancing around the shop (a two step). But of course I chuck up 60 to 80 pound stumps that are never balanced. Would I recommend one? I would say yes, after a person has their regular lathe.

Thanks for making me feel good about my half dozen chucks. I just wish they were all from the same manufacturer so the jaw sets could be interchangeable. Mostly they are Nova's.

Old turning shed

Aloha Ann,
Is that a three way off/on switching arrangement. Looks like a great safety feature. Did it come with the outfit or was it a retrofit?

By the way, what part of Sonoma County are you located. I spent 19 years west of Sebastopol on Barnett Valley Rd.

AnnHerbst said:
Here are 3 pictures of my current turning shed. The 5 ft by 11 ft wing has the grinder, lathe, turning tools and some wood. (the 5 ft by 7 ft wing (right hand door) has the lawn mower and garden things.) This summer I plan to raize this shed and then raise an 8 ft by 16 ft turning only shed which will also have the band saw and drill press. (Wish my back luck!)

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
Do these count toward my shop photos?

My current shop is the 2 car garage under the house. But we're building a new 2 story timber frame barn, which will be dedicated to our workshop.

Site prepped and ready for concrete: http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/Donnaturns/Barn 2006/Barn2006001.jpg

Concrete pad has been poured and cured. We're using it to keep the tracks level for the 18" Bandsaw Mill while we cut our beams.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/Donnaturns/Barn 2006/SkiddinglogsAugust2006007.jpg

We're cutting everything that we can - even our siding.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/Donnaturns/Barn 2006/BarnSeptember2006005.jpg

Dave cutting one of the first joints. We live in Derry NH, and this was done 2 weeks before Christmas. We were working outside in short sleeves; it's sure been a strange winter. :eek: :eek:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/Donnaturns/Barn 2006/BarnJanuary2007010.jpg

We're itching to get back out there as soon as this snow and ice melts! :cool2:

Donna

i am very impressed, please post when more complete, i have a feeling yall might keep adding things as time goes by since yall have the ability :D

Back