• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sharpening thread chaser

I am considering trying hand thread chasing. I understand that it's not easy and I'm sure it will take a lot of trial and error to learn. I've reviewed all the posts on the subject here on the forum and learned a great deal from the contributors. One thing that puzzles me is how to sharpen the thread chaser. Anybody out there who has and uses one want to clear up the mystery?
Thanks.
Dean Center

Website
www.docwks.com
I'm sure you will get good answers here on the forum, if not, check with Brian Holder or email brian at onegoodturn dot ca. He has a great news letter and is amazing at chasing threads.

I have just learned to chase threads. It does take a lot of trial and error. The cutting surface is the top surface so using a medium or fine honing stone often on the top surface does a nice job for me. Make sure not to touch the teeth. A threaded box top or plug makes such a difference in a piece.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I've built my own thread chasers as well as purchased a few. Honing the top is what you do. Cutting the teeth with the V file takes lots of patience, a good magnifier and a thread pitch gauge. So unless you want to build your own or picked up a used set that is in really bad condition I would never touch the teeth.
I had an article on how to build them in Woodturning design about 3 or 4 issues ago (can't remember and don't have time to look this morning but if you need to know I'll look later tonight)

Cutting threads in wood is relatively easy. Run your lathe slowly. Take your time. Check fit often.

I make my own thread chaser by starting with a good piece of tool steel, and cutting my own threads in it (you could use a bolt, but the steel isn't always that great). Once I have threaded about 1", I grind the top flat half way through the diameter, and then hone it with a small diamond lap to a mirror finish.

I have a video on YouTube if you want to see if in action. Shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes to make, and perhaps 10 minutes to learn to use if you watch the video.

Back