Shear Scraping Video

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Tips' started by john lucas, Feb 26, 2012.

1. john lucas

john lucas

2. Frederic Braun

Frederic Braun

John,
    Enjoyed the video, two questions:
    Where did you purchase the large thick scraper?
    Which way of shearing do you prefer?
    thanks

3. john lucas

john lucas

You know I have no idea where I got that scraper. It is a henry taylor and I probably bought it from packard or Craft Supplies but I get about 40 catalogs and could have purchased it from anywhere.
    For hollow vessels I prefer the John Jordan scraper. For my mirrors I use the small flat scraper. For bowl interiors it's definitely the big round nose. I use the small roundnose for box interiors.
    I reality I've been concentrating on my cutting technique with the bowl gouge. Between that and the Hunter tools for some cuts I can usually turn something to the point that it needs little if any scraping so I don't use the scrapers nearly as often as I use to.

4. Steve Worcester

Steve Worcester Admin Emeritus

Home Page:
    I sell a thick 10V scraper that Doug Thompson makes for me, you can check it out here.

I sell it unhandled,with a square tang that is rounded over to fit in a 5/8" hole. Works real well, different nose profile, but it can be reshaped

5. robo hippy

robo hippy

I have several of Doug's scrapers. I prefer 3/8 inch thick, and about 1 inch wide. I also have several Craft Supplies house brand ones. I do a swept back grind for the shear cuts. Never used a negative rake scraper much. I do round over the edges of the scraper to make it slide more easily over the tool rest. Most of the time I use the burr straight from the grinder. If you have CBN wheels, they leave a better burr than the standard grinding wheels. You can hone the burr off and just use the sharp edge, or you can burnish one on. I prefer a triangle burnishing tool, like the ones for the card scrapers.

robo hippy

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012