• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Shipping wood to Hawaii

I would like to take a roughed out Black Walnut bowl blank as a gift to someone in Hawaii. I want to just put it in my suitcase when I leave Iowa. Will I have any problems?

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Well, that is the only way I have not sent wood to Hawaii. I sold through some galleries and shipped it Priority mail, had it shipped the other way and have taken wood out in suitcases. But if I recall, they never checked taking anything in, just out.

It has dried for about a year, and I put it in the microwave for 3 minutes on high. It got real hot. I wanted to make sure that I didn't bring anything other than a gift to Hawaii. I just thought that maybe the gentleman that is being so kind to spend a little time with me talking about turning and sharing idea's and techniques might like to try turning something he might not have around. I know that Black Walnut isn't exotic, but I thought it might be a nice gift. I will email and ask if he wants it. Maybe you are correct. Hawaiians don't want our wood because it isn't nice enough.

Lyndal

Lyndal,
It's not that the mainland woods aren't nice enough, it's just that we have so many great varities here that people from the mainland are always requesting wood from Hawaii. Our growing season here is 12 months of the year. It never stops. There are probably just as many trees that have become oversized being felled as there are new plantings. All of the woodturners here spread the word when new timber is available, hence the abundance.

I'll bet the nicest gift you could give your friend is a visit to his studio to talk story about woodturning and to let him show you his stuff.

I shipped home to Hawaii several pieces of Black Walnut from my son's home in California, turned two bowls and gave them to him as a memento from his giant, felled, walnut. The rest of the wood still sits since I am always trying to stay current roughing out our local woods so I don't have to haul them to the land fill because of spoilage.

What Island are you traveling to and when are you visiting? If to the Big Island, touch base and I'll make sure you meet plenty of turners.

Website
www.scrollsaws.com
Steve and Lyndal,

That being said, and I don't want to sound pompous, by why in the hell would anyone in Hawaii want walnut. We have so many great woods here and most are free for the taking. Milo, Hau, Kou, Koa, Norfolk and Cook pine, Pheasantwood, Macadamia Nut, Allspice, Cashew, Avocado, Kiawe, Sugi pine, Nara.... and the list goes on.
Most of the galleries here want only local woods. They tell us the imports don't sell in Hawaii.

Dang, I guess maybe all of us here in the states better hang onto the wood we have. I think of all the species we have in my area but still a lot of turners buy imported woods from around the world. Maybe the varities we have here are enough for us too, are we all suppose to be Hawain and thumb our noses at anything not local.

Just so people don't think that all Hawaiians are the same, here is the response I got from the turner I am visiting:

"geez, I read the comments on the forum and thought some of them were pretty strange -- at any rate, I appreciate the thought and would enjoy turning a piece of walnut if you feel like bringing it -- I would suggest you do not send FexEx as it is cost prohibitive"

This is the response I expected. I guess it gives credence to the old saying "Never look a gift horse in the mouth."

I drive charter busses part time and one time a lady gave me a $2.00 tip. She was the only one from the whole bus that did that. It made me feel like a million bucks...... It was just the thought that counted.

Lyndal

OK.
After re-reading my post I was sort of "in your face"
My sincerest apologies for dissing you and any of the other woodturners.

Website
www.scrollsaws.com
Wood

Lyndal I am glad to hear you reply. I always thought too that turners everywhere loved to turn some new wood they have never had before. I look at the forums and see all the time people exchanging woods from different parts of the counrtry. Here in Iowa we have a lot of good woods, but for one mesquite is a little hard to find locally. I love turning and take any wood that comes my way.

I would like to take a roughed out Black Walnut bowl blank as a gift to someone in Hawaii. I want to just put it in my suitcase when I leave Iowa. Will I have any problems?

Hey Lyndal,

I lived in Hawaii for many, many years and I was always on the look out for any type of wood that was not available locally.

I've seen plenty of Black Walnut that is as figured and beautiful as any Hawaiian woods I have worked with.

It is ultimately the thought the counts and my thought is you're doing the right thing by sharing.

Have fun in Hawaii !!

Tim

We have all said things that we regret later. Jim was no exception and sent me a very nice appology. I am in Honolulu now and looking forward to my visit.

Lyndal

Back