• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

shop fox

does anyone have any experience or heard any reviews on how Shop Fox lathes? I saw them advertised and it looks like a nice lathe. I am considering the model 1758 but haven't been able to find any reviews.

Thanks,
David

I can't comment on the specific lathe you mentioned, but I have the mini lathe that Shop Fox made and it has performed beautifully for me for 3+ years. The only problem I have with it is the spring screw lever is stripped from over tightening the banjo to the bed.

I do own a 14" SF bandsaw and I am very happy with it.

David you can get a lot of different opinions on lathes, as far a mini lathes most of the top lathe manufactors make mini lathes, and a lot of not so popular names make mini lathes. on buying a lathe deside what you want to turn. I would suggest to buy the best lathe that you can afford to buy, if you have to buy cheap you learn to deal with the problems they have, if you buy good quality then not so many problems.good luck

Google is your friend. Enter [shop fox lathe 1758], and learn its other incarnations, along with some reviews. Most lower-end machinery come from the same or equivalent factories, and are given different labels ("badges") by their distributors. Similar to (some) store-brand soft drinks and other food.

Re-badging may, or may not, be via a quality control filter. It's possible to get stung, and it's possible to get lucky. Dealing with problems can be a good learning experience, depending on your attitude.

According to my late grandfather (and a few others of his era), "It's a poor mechanic that blames his tools."

Of course, everyone has a budget and initial ramp up costs to get started can be substantial--depending on your circumstances and willingness to consider alternatives like buying used vs. new equipment and tools. One factor to keep in mind, however, is resale value, if any--should you ever decide to replace a purchase with something different.

Considering that many turners just keep adding lathes to their collection, you also want to evaluate whether your choice of lathe is likely to hold up well or have repair parts and compatible accessories available over time. No reflection on the Shop Fox model you mentioned (I know nothing about it) but if you are mostly considering low cost lathes because of any uncertainty about long term commitment to turning, some else's used lathe may be a bigger bang for the buck.

And if you have other turners or a club nearby, someone there may be a great resource to help you. Who knows, you might even discover an opportunity to borrow someone's "extra" lathe awhile. Good luck with your decision.

Back