• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

silver maple burl

I have a chance to buy a large silver maple burl, I would like to get some info from others who have worked with it. Will it have cracks like oak or more like cherry burls. I have done several cherrry burls and really enjoy working with them. Any info, suggestions, hints would be greatly appericated

Thanks for repling. this thing is at least 24" across and 12" deep. I just don"t want to get get burned. I turned a bowl about 13" across from the same tree and was very happy with the results.

Dave johnson

Does it have the bark on or off? Bark off is the best way to buy since you can see any rot, plus you can tell better if it is one burl or a cluster. If you can see branch buds I would buy it. They turn very nicely. I consider an oak burl to be about the worst species, and I have not seen one with limb buds, just swirls.

How old is it? How far past the burl did they cut...make sure to look for small fissures. Typically you can figure 1 dollar per pound on a burl...the best ones are free

Back