1. Join the Go-To Source for Woodturners!

Please read the new sticky announcement here for full details.

Dismiss Notice

SIZE MATTERS ?

Discussion in 'Newbie' started by Ed Nygard, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Ed Nygard

Ed Nygard

Does anyone have experience which confirms that Dave Schweitzer's gouges which are listed as .390, .515, and .631 inch diameters will or won't fit into third party handles and adapters listed as 3/8", 1/2", and 5/8" ?

2. Owen Lowe

Owen Lowe

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
    Do you have any handles in which you can measure the bore diameter? I don’t think any of my various branded handles have anywhere near tolerances that wouldn’t accept the Schweitzer dimensions. If I put shoes on, I’ll toddle on down to my shop to measure (hate it when I get shavings stuck to my warm woolies).

3. Owen Lowe

Owen Lowe

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
    OK, because it’s for science (and that I made a claim) I had to go check — shavings and woolies be damned!

My Oneway handle has bore diameters of: .527” and .645”; my Hosuluk handle measures: .542” and .655”. I didn’t reach for the couple of Serious handles I have because — shavings.

If for some reason the tools were too tight for your handles, it would be a simple (and inexpensive) job to drill the bore slightly larger.

Bill Boehme and Ed Nygard like this.
  4. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    You confirmed my suspicions, Owen. The ⅜" Schweitzer gouge is only 0.006" over and the other two are 0.015" over. My Michelsen handle expands a lot more than that. I would measure it except a senior moment stands between me and the "good place" that I decided to store my digital calipers.

Owen Lowe and hockenbery like this.
  5. Joe Greiner

Joe Greiner

Those are strange sizes for tool shafting. Within 0.003", they look more like metric conversions: 9.9mm, 13mm, and 16mm respectively.

6. john lucas

john lucas

When Doug Thompson first started making his tools the shafts he uses come oversize. I suggested that he make them a known diameter to fit everyone's handles which he now does. Don't know about Dave's tools but will probably save my money and buy one one of these days to see what all the fuss is about.