• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Small chuck advice?

I am pretty new at modern turning. I have a Jet 1221VS with a Nova G3 chuck. That might seen mighty small to many of you but, I'm finding that I'm turning small things and would like an even smaller chuck. I have a lot of 2x2 (1.875 x 1.875) and when I turn to round, the G3 is just too big to grip.
I've made pens and a few bowls and am enjoying that but, but, also want to be able to make other small things like ornaments.
Anyone have a suggestion for a chuck that is good for 1" - 2" spigots? I know that Nova makes smaller jaw sets but, would prefer a complete chuck and not be swapping jaws back and forth. Besides, with a nova and adapter to fit the Jet 1"x8tpi threads I can not run lathe backwards for finishing.

Appreciate any tips for this old, newbie.
Regis

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
The Oneway talon is a great little chuck.
I turned a hundreds of hollow ball ornament caps and finials with "1 spigot jaws in a talon chuck.
I used 1/2 tenon on the cap and a 3/4 inch tenon on the lcecicle which were 6-8" long.

I made all my tenons with a peeling cut with a 1/2" skew.
My tenons were a little over a 1/2 long the length of the cutting edge of the skew.

When I was done I opened the jaws a bit an pulled the pieces out retighten then parted off the tenons with narrow parting tool so they would be an 1/8" long.
Plenty of glue surface. Made the ornaments a tiny bit lighter.

Last edited:
You can tap your current insert for a set screw. You probably have insert "D"; for the 1X8 with the set screw for reverse you need insert "X".
The Pin jaws are great but only open to 1", the next up is the 35mm Spigot jaws (not 35mm bowl) but the smallest spigot is, of course, 35mm or about 1-3/8".
Amazon has the G3 for $90.

You can tap your current insert for a set screw. You probably have insert "D"; for the 1X8 with the set screw for reverse you need insert "X".
The Pin jaws are great but only open to 1", the next up is the 35mm Spigot jaws (not 35mm bowl) but the smallest spigot is, of course, 35mm or about 1-3/8".
Amazon has the G3 for $90.

That is really good to know about the "D" vs "X" insert for the G3. And 35mm would allow me to use the 2x2 that I have.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Regis

And 35mm would allow me to use the 2x2 that I have.
Regis

For a 2X2 square stock you can use your 50mm jaws that came with the chuck. Here is a chart of ranges for their jaws.
The 35mm spigot will not open enough to hold a 2X2. Your 50mm bowl are sized by the exterior, the spigot jaws are sized by the interior.
http://www.teknatool.com/wp-content...andard-Jaws-Min-Max-Ranges-Jaw-Table-inch.pdf

Here is an alternative method by Stuart Ablett. You can buy a stick (12" long?) on Amazon or thebay. If you have forstners drill sections with 1/8 difference in bits then slice a kerf on the table saw or band saw. ie 1-1/8, 1-1/4, 1-3/8 hole etc.
http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?18356-DIY-Chuck-Insert-Rings
Good enough for small items.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
For small work you can run the chuck backwards for sanding without problems. What I do is screw the chuck on until it's flush. Then I take the chuck key and tighten the chuck up a little more. I have never had a problem. I have vicmarc chucks but I doubt that makes a difference. The only time I've had a chuck come unscrewed after I started doing that extra tightening was when turning a large bowl. I wasn't actually turning or sanding in reverse, the electronic brake slowed the chuck down faster than it wanted to go and it started coming unscrewed.
You may or may not be able to drill the insert to drill and tap and put in a setscrew. Apparently the inserts on Vicmarc chucks must be hardened slightly. I burned up a drill trying to drill it.

Back