• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Small turning on large lathes?

I've been looking around at new lathes and I think I've settled on the jet 1442. I'm interested in turning bowls and the occasional spindles and the jet seems to me to be the best bet.

My wife is starting to get interested in turning (in particular pens). She does a lot of pottery and turning gives her that same instant gratification :) This interest however has me starting to rethink my decision.

It is easy to turn pens on the 1442? Or is this simply too large of a lathe to do that sort of small detailed work?

My hope is that its even easier, but I'd appreciate some confirmation :)

Thanks in advance,

--eric

Sure you can

You can tun pens on a large lathe. I don't have a small lathe, so for the few pens I turn I use my big lathe. I don't see much difference between using mine and using our chapters Jet Mini which I learned to do pens on.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Eric,

Most two turner homes find that one lathe isn't enough.

A major consideration is the lathe height. If the two of you vary in height then you will need some sort of platform for the shorter person to stand on.
Avoid setting the lathe too low for the taller person or a sore back is likely to result. If it is too high for the shorter person it is difficult to use the tools properly.

As far as turning pens the 1442 should be fine. The sheave pulleys for shifting speeds on the fly is an advantage since you can turn the pen at top speed then shift down to low for sanding.

happy turning,
Al

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Kenneth Hertzog said:
YOU CAN TURN SMALL THINGS ON A LARGE LATHE BUT YOU CANNOT TURN LARGE THINGS ON A SMALL LATHE.
I have a Oneway 2436 and have turned pens on it. Albeit, a rare occasion, but it does happen.
I would even venture that a larger lathe will work better because it is more stable.

The difficult part is when you want to turn a large item on a small lathe. It is called "Dances with lathes" (Thank Art Liestman for that)

bonsaipeter

Peter Toch
Two Lathe Family

As stated by the others, the Jet 1442 is an overall very nice machine and you can turn pens on it just fine. If you find that you require a second lathe in order to maintain domestic tranquility, then the Jet Mini-Lathe would be an excellent choice as the second lathe at around $250 for the 6 fixed speeds version or $350 for the electronic variable speed model. The nice thing is that all these Jets accept the same accessories, 1"- 8tpi spindle, and #2 Morse tapers. Not a bad combination for minimal money.

Peter

Website
www.picturetrail.com
I beleive Kenneth Hertzog explained it very nicely. That jet mini is a great little lathe . It is just limited to what size of turnings can be done on it. I had one before buying my 14" x 43" lathe as shown below. Wish I had bought the big one first because it turns pens just as easy as on a mini.
Only thing you may need for turning pens on a full size lathe will be a shorter tool rest because full size lathes generally come with a 12" one.
I accidentally broke a piece off my original one and it serves very well as a 7" one now for turning pens. I got a free replacement one under warranty so I now have both 7" and 12".
W.Y.
B2338.jpg

William Young said:
I beleive Kenneth Hertzog explained it very nicely. That jet mini is a great little lathe . It is just limited to what size of turnings can be done on it. I had one before buying my 14" x 43" lathe as shown below.

err, I'll bite... what kind of lathe is that? That look similar to the Grizzley G8691 but not quite...

--eric

bonsaipeter said:
As stated by the others, the Jet 1442 is an overall very nice machine and you can turn pens on it just fine. If you find that you require a second lathe in order to maintain domestic tranquility, then the Jet Mini-Lathe would be an excellent choice as the second lathe at around $250 for the 6 fixed speeds version or $350 for the electronic variable speed model. The nice thing is that all these Jets accept the same accessories, 1"- 8tpi spindle, and #2 Morse tapers. Not a bad combination for minimal money.

Peter

Thats for the suggestion, but shshh! If my wife finds out about this we'll be getting the mini-lathe first!

--eric :)

ps: seriously, thanks for planting the thought

Steve Worcester said:
I have a Oneway 2436 and have turned pens on it. Albeit, a rare occasion, but it does happen.
I would even venture that a larger lathe will work better because it is more stable.

The difficult part is when you want to turn a large item on a small lathe. It is called "Dances with lathes" (Thank Art Liestman for that)

But lets remember in the movie the main character and the wolf were friends. I've had large machine items dance with me before and they're no friends of mine. But if I have to dancein this case, I'd prefer it if my partner was heavy :)

--eric

Kenneth Hertzog said:
In the few years that I have been turning the experts have always said
YOU CAN TURN SMALL THINGS ON A LARGE LATHE BUT YOU CANNOT TURN LARGE THINGS ON A SMALL LATHE.
I have found this to be true
have a great day and enjoy the new sport

Thanks Kenneth... I've heard this stated before in general, but I'm curious about the specifics. The 1442 (as a medium lathe) *seems* to address both of our needs, interests. My concern really is if its not enough for what I'm interested in and too much for what my wife is interested in. Its a fairly expensive lesson learned if it doesn't work for either, hense this somewhat ackward, ill- formed thread. :(

fwiw - I've been grappling with the restoration of an old lathe that has been quite a challenge. In the end, the larger things I throw the more dangerous / difficult it becomes. I've been ok with accepting these 'characteristics' for which I've become accustom to with this lathe, but I don't think I want my wife to have to deal with them. Its in part her interest that is driving me to think abuot a more functional, safer useful-to-the-both-of-us sort of lathe.

--eric

Website
www.picturetrail.com
Erimille;
No my lathe is not at all like a Grizzly G8691 which is a very light lathe with a 1/2HP motor. Even the Grizzly G10672 doesn't compare because it only has a light stand and still only a 1/2 HP motor and only five speeds..

Mine is a Craftex lathe . It is almost an exact clone of another well known brand name model but I have missplaced the info on that. Mine has a much heavier guage steel stand with a full steel shelf in the bottom and a 3/4 HP motor and ten speeds. .
There sure are lots of look a likes out there but I did some research before I bought mine and I have been very pleased with it. I got big brand name quality without the big brand name price.
It does everything that I expect and require of a lathe so it is hard to say if I will ever upgrade to one of the much better lathes available that are made more for production quality than mine is.. Those big expensive higher quality lathes that some are using sure are nice though.
I am just a hobby woodworker so this particular lathe suits my requirements perfectly.
W.Y.

Back