• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

"Soft Jaws" for Chuck

Website
www.sawdustbytes.com
I faintly remember seeing something recently about "soft jaws" for woodturning chucks. Now I can't locate the information.

Could someone point me to a source for these as I need to customize some jaws for an upcoming project?

Thanks

Website
www.sawdustbytes.com
Thanks

Jeff & Ken,

Thank you for the information. I will probably end up making the jaws from wood using the techniques described in the posting by "Dr_dewey".

where?

Where do you purchase UHMV or even nylon in small pieces? Seems like everywhere I've looked on the intermet, they want to sell you a truckload or at least a 4'x4'.

DW
In the High Desert of Central Oregon

Website
www.sawdustbytes.com
Uhmw

DW,

The last time I bought pieces of UHMW was a couple of years ago. It was a bag of miscellaneous pieces at Woodcraft.

I hope to be able to find a better source.

Website
www.phoenixwood.ca
sources for UHMW plastic

www.theplasticstore.com is where i purchased it. Shipping from Toronto might be more than the cost. The block was from "cut-offs" which is cheaper. In our yellow-pages phone book there were many suppliers, i went with these people as they were closer.

might try a goolge for UHMW and find someone near by.

the cost was $27.00 a square foot for 1.5" thickness.

hope you have success.

Suppliers

I have dealt with MachinistMaterials in the past. Good service and of course, being surplus stock, the price is right. The downside is that they only stock surplus and you might not find what you want at the time.

McMaster carries UHMW and other plastics in their inventory.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Look in the phone book under plastic sheets and rods. Almost any of them will carry UHMW or some sort of softer plastics like teflon, or other Polyethylene. See if they have a scrap pile you can go through or cutoffs. They are sold by the pound. I got a 2.5" 2' square for $25 locally.

They machine real easy and you will find all kinds of jigs you want to make for with it.

Website
www.phoenixwood.ca
Have you noticed the cost for a barrel of oil has risen lately. The demand for oil by our trading partners has outpaced the supply - so they say - although there are some that say refinery volume is the problem. Whole other ball of wax than wood turning.

Website
www.woodturner.org
That doesn't explain it. That plastic was bought when oil was $35-$40. One can purchase a whole sheet 4x8 sheet of 1/4" plexiglass at HomeDepot for under $50. So why is UHMW so much more expensive? Anyone know?

Maybe it would be more cost effective to make soft jaws out of hardwood like maple, or for softer jaws - out of mahogany.

Soft plastics

My first choice for soft jaws is UHMW Poly. This is the heaviest poly that is generally available. It is usually milky white. Some cutting boards are made from this, you can tell because they are heavy, and feel kind of waxy to the touch. They are good for cutting boards because they will not chip. UHMW machines very easily, and can be drilled and tapped. There is no glue for poly materials, the only way to join poly is by plastic welding.

Next in the list for me is WOOD. Softer wood that is. Such as common pine or basswood.

PVC, same as the pipes, can be bought in rounds and flats. It is not as soft or resilient as UHMW poly. However, it can be easily glued and machines well.

Nylon is also good, but more expensive.

I have bought surplus plastics (cutoffs, or as they are called, 'drops') from:

www.machinistmaterials.com

Hope this helps

ADDED: Some thin, high density, rubber foam covered with fabric on one side can be used as a pad on the jaws. Where do you get such a material? Insoles for shoes!

Last edited:
They can hold a piece by the outside rim only. I needed to hold a piece that is open at both ends, and do a final cut and sanding inside the piece. The problem is that I cannot do it if I hold it by one end. Besides, both ends are curved.....

With all due respect ...but thanks for the link

The inside holding jaws in your link won't cut it. The piece will still be too close to the chuck itself to work in the inside surface. Remember, the pieces I work with are open at both ends.

This one has worked well for me as a special purpose set of jaws. I use it only for a little final scraping if needed, and sanding with a paddle. I just don't get my fingers close to it.

Thanks for the links!

Back