• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Source for vase inserts

I am looking for a source for vase inserts - plastic or glass vials/test tubes
AND the "frogs" used for flower arranging - as in Ikebana. Anyone know a good source? Thanks.

glass test tubes

I bought 100 25mm OD test tubes from a laboratory equipment supplier. Do a web search for laboratory equipment suppliers. I'd tell you where I got mine but a senior moment precludes my remembering. :confused:

Test tubes

I got my last batch off eBay. It was easy and inexpensive!

Dennis

Website
www.token.crwoodturner.com
American Science & Surplus
has 13, 16, and 20 mm glass tubes for a pretty good price.
They are not flared though--but that's really easy to do yourself with a propane torch.
I do it on the lathe, with the tube spinning.
Mount a scrap of wood in a chuck, drill a hole for the tube to go in with a snug sliding fit.
You want to be able to remove/insert a tube in the hole with the lathe running, and play the torch flame on the rim just enough until it flares out. It's hot, you need a glove.
I can do about 3 per minute this way.

Ken Grunke
member & webmaster,
Coulee Region Woodturners of Wisconsin

Last edited:
Back