• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

spindle gouge sharpening riser blocks

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I had been planning to make some riser blocks so that I could sharpen my spingle gouges without changing the adjustment from the bowl gouge setting.

When I turn my hand mirrors I use both tools and would have to readjust the Oneway arm way to often. Most of my spindle gouges have a grind similar to the bowl gouge, with swept back wings and I use the Oneway Wolverine jig to sharpen them. I thought I could just build riser blocks that would give me the correct angle for the 40 degree or so angle on my spindle gouges.

Here is a photo of the block in use. I simply cut the corners off of a block I was about to turn. This gave me a block with one 90 degree corner and 2 45 degree corners. Then I layed the gouge and jig on the block and put the bevel flat on the grinding wheel. I marked a pencil mark on the block a little closer than the end of the Wolverine arm. Then I drilled a 3/8" shallow hole so the outer rim hit this line. Then I just carved away the back side of the hole until the bevel of the tool sat flat on the wheel. If you used a forestner style bit you could probably just "whittle" away at the hole to enlarge it enough.

I made one for the Detail gouge and one for the 1/2" spindle gouge. I have spindle gouges with several different grinds. Usually I arrived at these based on a need from experience however most of my grinds are very similar to the Ellsworth bowl gouge grind with steeper nose angles.

Attachments

• spindle-gouge-riser-blocks.jpg
    spindle-gouge-riser-blocks.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 321
  • spindle-gouge-riser-blocks-.jpg
    spindle-gouge-riser-blocks-.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 294
Spindle Gouge

John,
This sounded like a pretty good tip across the board, so I moved it to the How To forum. Great idea on the blocks.:)

Back