• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

spindle roughing gouge video

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
It's an old Canon ZR900 tape camera. I went out looking for a camera that had manual focus and remote mike capability. The all digital cameras that had those two capabilities were about $800 dollars. this one was $300.
I now have a Nikon D5100 still camera with digital video. I just got it and haven't had time to learn much about the video capabilities but they should be much better than the camera I now have. For one thing I can set the autofocus to follow a specific subject. I'm hoping it will work well enough to follow a gouge. That may work better than manual focus for some parts of my videos.

Very interesting

I found the use of the straight edge/lower shoulder to make the tenon especially useful. I didn't know one could do that. How does the height of the tool rest relate to the centerline of the workpiece? Thanks!

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I tend to cut above center with almost all tools except scrapers. Those I prefer on center. I adjust the tool rest to be comfortable with the tool near my hip and the cutting edge about 10 or 10:30. A little higher for the skew.

Back