• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Spiral cuts

I'm getting ready to turn some reel seats for some fly rods I'm building. I have some pecan wood and would like to turn a shallow spiral cut (like a barber pole) and stain it with a dark contrasting stain. Now, I'm new at this. What would be an easy way to cut uniform spaced spirals? Also, what would you recommend as the best way to finish it as it will be exposed to lots of water? Thanks in advance for your help.:)

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
John Mark it off carefully and then use a round file to carve it out. You could probably use sandpaper wrapped around a dowel.

google up Bill Bowers. He wrote a book on spirals, and has a website. (I forget if there's any instructions on the website)

Thanks for the info. I want to cut shallow cuts and then apply stain with a fine brush. Using a round file would be too deep as the reel wouldn't have any place to seat. I'll check Bill Bowers and see what he says.
Interesting, he was a gastroenterologist. He went from turning stomachs to turning wood!

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
use a triangular file or what I call a rat tail file. I could cut a groove the size of a pencil lead if necessary.

burn line?

This is a bit out there but what if you wrapped a short length of heater wire around the piece and burnt the line in? You didn't mention the dia. or length of the piece so this may not be possible.

Part is about 5/8-3/4 dia., 3-1/2 6 to 4 in. long; only about 2/3 of it will have spiral cut. I'll try to post a picture to give you an idea of a similar part and assembled component.

Back