• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

spiral work

Hello, I would like to make spiral vases - never attempted. I believe I am supposed to use my index wheel to mark out and such. can you tell me specifally how an index wheel that basically causes the lathe to remain stationary in ' x ' increments is able to assist me in creating a spiral effect?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
kenny,
I know 2 ways to lay out a spiral using the index wheel.
the basic concept is to connect offset marks at each end of the spiral.

The examples are for 6 spirals

1. put a pencil line at both ends of where you want the spiral pattern. Use the index wheel to mark 6 evenly spaced marks on both pencil lines. draw a line from the head stock mark to a mark on the tailstock end. offset the marks 1 or 2 to get the spiral you like. A length of 12-3 electical wire can be bent to the contour of your form and provide a curved straight edge. A flexible rule will work but you might need three hands. You can also put 12,18,24 marks on one of the cirlces to get different spirals.

2 draw a pencil line at each end ot the spiral pattern and add 3 or 4 fairly evenly spaced lines around the form between the two ends of the spiral. Use the index wheel to draw 12 evenly spaced lines from the bottom to the top. You now have a grid on the form. Free hand a spiral by goiny up 3 over 1 and up 2 over 1. Start a spiral on every other mark to get 6. Sketch in the spiral 6 lines and make them all look close. This is pretty fast and fairly accurate.

If you have a feature to show or hide, lay out you first spiral over this area.

happy turning,
Al

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I just got Stuart Mortimer's book on spiral turning. Before reading this book I just simply took masking tape and wraped it around the piece. A few tries and I got the spiral I wanted. Then I just craved the piece with wood rasps.
I'm working on a design that would allow me to use my new Bestwoodtools carving stand. I'm going to adapt a plate to the top so I can use my trim router and the index on my lathe. I'm so busy right now at work I don't know when I'll have time to actually produce a piece to see how if this idea works but I sure am having fun making sketches while working.

Back