• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Spring 2006 AAW Forum Contest

Website
www.woodturner.org
3/3/06 Contest announced and rules posted

Contest:
This is the announcement of the 5th contest - focusing on Bowls. If you missed the last contests, do a search for "contest" in the forum search.

Rules for this contest:
  1. Deadline is Sunday, April 9, 2006 midnight. (The contest was announced 3/3/06, so this gives ~5 weeks including 6 weekends to complete the submission).
  2. Each participant will create a bowl...in line with the feature story by Nick Cook from the Spring 2006 AW Journal issue
  3. Any and all turned bowl submissions will be considered
  4. The bowl must be created after 3/1/06 (corresponding to the AW Journal Spring 2006 issue)
  5. One submission per person. You can submit multiple pics but only 2 pictures maximum will be submitted for judging.
  6. Size restrictions: 6" Diameter minimum. 16" Diameter maximum.
  7. Contest is open to all, including AAW members and non-members.

How to submit:
  1. Post your entry in the photo gallery and label it "AAW Forum contest entry" so people will recognize it.
  2. Also email Jeff when you submit the entry, and he will track the entries -
    email to jjilg@sbcglobal.net. He will respond with an acknowledgement, unless the spam filter rejects your email. If he doesn't send an acknowledgement, then send him a Private Message (PM) via the PM function in this forum. Also he will maintain a list of entries in the forum near the end of the contest.

Winner and Prize:

Winner selection:
Some super huge name in woodturning will be more than happy to be the judge, as soon as we ask them!

The prize is:
1) The winner will be announced in the forum, and on the AAW homepage.
2) The winner will also be announced in the AW Journal.
3) Winners will be requested to bring their pieces to the symposium.

The winning woodturner will be requested to write a short description about
the piece, their inspiration for it, and a short woodturner biography. This
write-up from the artist will be due within 1 week after the contest results
are announced. The write-up will be turned into a webpage. The webpage would
be announced and linked on the homepage similar to the last winner Chris Kuehn as shown here

Please ask any questions if any of this is unclear or if there is a typo of
some type. Also please feel free to enter the contest - bowls are a great
skill builder, and can encompass many design and style elements. Let your
imagination run wild, this is supposed to be fun!!!

...Jeff Jilg and Steve Worcester
...your friendly neighborhood moderators

Website
www.woodturner.org
I have gotten a couple of emails from folks who want to be in the contest but they don't have their magazine yet. The featured article is "Twenty Ways not to turn a bowl" by Nick Cook. Mostly it is about safety and good practices.

Literally just about any bowl you think of will be appropriate for the contest. Many woodturners feel that a continuous curve is important - with no flat lines. I'm not even sure that is a good artistic guideline. Some pieces from the Egyptians had flat lines - did that make those particular pieces bad art? Probably not.

If you never turned a bowl before you can look at articles in the recent issues.
  • Winter 2005 pg 10 shows a big bowl - sure it's bigger than the restrictions in this contest but the techniques could be scaled down
  • Winter 2005 pg 14 (the layered bowl) article has some nice bowl examples
  • Fall 2005 pg 46 has some nice pics and a discussion about making a bowl from green wood in 24 hours
  • Summer 2005 pg 46 shows how to "Turn a Burl Bowl" from Dave Lancaster, and the same steps can be applied for this contest
  • Summer 2005 - Nick Cook shows how to create a burned-rim bowl

Or there may be other articles in the recent issues which give you an idea. It's fun to look thru them, there are lots of color pictures to admire and get inspiration from!

Jeff & Steve,
The last couple of contests have referenced an article in the magazine as part of the rules. Would you consider posting the articles on the web site for future contests? This might attract a few more entries from non-members who do not have access to the magazine.

Website
www.woodturner.org
Well....I would say that non-members should probably buy the magazine to look at the article. Each magazine has some pretty interesting articles.

In this particular contest, the article itself is not that germane. The article pretty much discusses safety pointers and guidelines for making a bowl. Nick Cook (the author) has written some other good articles including bowl ideas.

Is there a list of where the magazine is sold here, or in Huntsville (65 mile round trip), or in Bryan/College Station (90 mile round trip)? Obviously, the thing to do is just join the AAW. It's only 1/4 mile to the mailbox.

The Spring Contest rules state the winner will be asked to bring the entry to the 2006 Symposium. I can't attend this year. Can I still enter?

Website
www.woodturner.org
Yes, absolutely please enter!

If someone attends the conference we will ask them to bring their pieces. That is entirely optional. It is intended to show off the contest results if the pieces are available.

Changing entries?

Jeff, Why are people being allowed to change their entries. Something is wrong here.

Do the rules allow for people to change their entry? If so, you should change the rules.

I'm sure many folks are holding back to the very end just so they can see what has been entered. That way they can "adjust" their entry accordingly. No problem there. But to post an entry then decide to change for whatever reason is wrong.

This world is governed by rules and we all have to live with them. You make a mistake, you live with it. There should be NO exceptions here!

Website
www.woodturner.org
Well Ed, we currently don't have a rule prohibiting people from changing their entry. We could implement that in the next contest.

We have 2 newbies change entries. One posted two photos with two very different backgrounds. I asked him to resubmit his second photo. And he did.

Another one submitted an entry with a picture that wasn't so great. I offered some tips on the pic and he withdrew from the contest. I've given other people tips on pictures too. Mostly I point them to my photo tips in the "Help, Rules, and FAQ".

Maybe we had some people change entries today, but I'm just now getting to my emails. We don't have a rule against that in the current contest. I will post that as a rule for the next contest for one main reason - I have to record the entries, and I'm not going to keep track of changing entries as the contest progresses.

Overall we have a great set of entries for this contest to date! Bowls are a very popular item!

Jeff, I have no problem with adjusting a picture. I would be glad to help anyone out there with their photo problems. Even during a contest. But to totally change their piece?

Time for closing of contest

Jeff -

Hi, I'm new to the forum. My husband wants to submit an entry to the contest. I see the cutoff time is midnight tonight, but you don't indicate a time zone for that. Should I assume it's CST, as you're in Texas, or ??

Thanks for your help with this.

Laura

Contest results date?

Jeff -

I've been trying to find out when the contest results will be announced. I can't seem to find anything about it, either on this website or in the AAW Journal. It says the writeup is due one week after results are announced, but nothing on when that is. Did I miss it somewhere?

Thanks!

Laura

Back