• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Stabilizing, holding a vacuum

I have been making pens from saguaro cactus skeletons, a pen is about all you can make from one of the ribs. The wood is very old and dry by the time I can get my hands on it and needs to be stabilized. I have a vacuum pump (ebay item) that I use but I have had trouble holding a vacuum of 20-24 in. for more than a few hours. I have used pickle jars, 2 qt. paint pots and even a thing for sucking the air out of wine bottles glued to the top of a mayo jar, which actually works great but can only pull about 15 in. of vacuum. Yesterday I think I solved the problem. I picked up a tube of "vacuum grease" at the lab supply store here in Tucson AZ. I smeared some on the gasket area of my two pickle jars and my paint pot. As of noon today, 18 hours later, they are still holding vacuum. I don't know if anybody else has been having this problem, but if so, you can pick up the stuff at any lab supply store or order it on-line; "vacuum grease" in your search engine will do it. About $15 a tube.

Back