Star Feature Ring

Discussion in 'Newbie' started by Logan Fitch, May 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Logan Fitch

Logan Fitch

2. That's a Texas star. Internet search on making a Texas star should provide all you need to know. - John

3. Hy Tran

Hy Tran

It's a segmented bowl, with a contrasting segmented ring with either an inlay-or-thru (likely thru) star pattern. The segmented ring decoration looks like 10 pieces of light-colored wood (maple?) and contrasting star. I can't tell if the star is a single star or is also composed of segments, but I suspect segments.

Either a compound miter saw with a bunch of jigs for setting stops, or a table saw with a cutting sled is your friend for cutting the segments and assembling them.

Look up either (or both) Malcolm Tibbetts and Curt Theobald for some really good articles and/or books on segmented turning.

Hope this is helpful!

4. Tony Giroux

Tony Giroux

Doing the math - 360/5 = 72. Sp 72 degrees is your primary angle. I have a drawing which shows the angles. How you make your saw cuts to get them is up to you. Hope it helps.

Attached Files:

5. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    It's just a minor detail, but the angle that you show as 107° should be 108°.

Each half point of the star is made by cutting triangles where the small angle at the point is 18° and the larger angle at the opposite end of the long side is 36°.