• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Stopper mandrel in chuck...

I've been using the Nile's stopper mandrel that goes directly into the spindle (#2 MT). Need to order two more for a class I'm teaching, and am wondering if the ones that are held by a chuck instead present any concerns. Are we sure they won't spin or wobble? (given that I have great faith in Ruth's quality control requirements)

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I find the ones held in a chuck are quicker to install and remove. I made my own out of large nut and an installed threaded insert. This one simply screws on the spindle without a chuck or needing a draw bar. Wouldn't be practical for Ruth since you would have to carry all the thread sizes. I just talked to her the other day when ordering some stoppers. I've known Ruth since she started this business and have always enjoyed talking and dealing with her. MY closet is full of her shirts also.

You can easily make a mandrel from wood, aluminum, brass or steel that fits into an adjustable chuck.

54648d1352402587-using-mandrel-make-wine-bottle-stoppers-stopper_home_made_mounting_block_1034.jpg

Back