• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Stoppers make a trip...

Our meeting is Wednesday night, am taking an assortment of bottle stoppers in a dry-run burl display (definitely have some refinements to make). These are mostly practice stoppers, working toward some "keeper" designs, but two or three are close to final. I try to keep the end-user in mind, not make them too tall. Here's a rather washed-out picture (using the phone, and sub-par lighting). They are of better color than here, but none is finished with poly or lacquer, just the Beall system. Hoping to take a Madrone bowl too, not sure if that'll be done in time.
Burl Stopper Display Edx.jpg

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Looking pretty nice. I would not recommend using just the Beal. Leaves the wood looking great but its not a finish and leaves the wood fragile. I use one or two quick applications of thinned lacquer followed by the beal. Not the most durable finish but my lower end wi e stoppers eed to be fast to produce

Looking pretty nice. I would not recommend using just the Beal. Leaves the wood looking great but its not a finish and leaves the wood fragile. I use one or two quick applications of thinned lacquer followed by the beal. Not the most durable finish but my lower end wi e stoppers eed to be fast to produce

Yeah, the "real" stoppers will have a real finish on them. Can't remember, what do you use for your higher-end stoppers? (I know I've read it somewhere, but it's late and the Mariners are losing:p)

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I use spray on lacquer with several coats for the stoppers that have RUTH Niles stoppers. I want a thicker build that will last longer. I bave also used miwax wipe on poly but its slower to use and isnt easily repaired the way lacquer is.

Back