Stoppers make a trip...

Discussion in 'Newbie' started by Jamie Straw, May 23, 2016.

1. Jamie Straw

Jamie Straw

Our meeting is Wednesday night, am taking an assortment of bottle stoppers in a dry-run burl display (definitely have some refinements to make). These are mostly practice stoppers, working toward some "keeper" designs, but two or three are close to final. I try to keep the end-user in mind, not make them too tall. Here's a rather washed-out picture (using the phone, and sub-par lighting). They are of better color than here, but none is finished with poly or lacquer, just the Beall system. Hoping to take a Madrone bowl too, not sure if that'll be done in time.
    Burl Stopper Display Edx.jpg

2. john lucas

john lucas

Looking pretty nice. I would not recommend using just the Beal. Leaves the wood looking great but its not a finish and leaves the wood fragile. I use one or two quick applications of thinned lacquer followed by the beal. Not the most durable finish but my lower end wi e stoppers eed to be fast to produce

3. Jamie Straw

Jamie Straw

Yeah, the "real" stoppers will have a real finish on them. Can't remember, what do you use for your higher-end stoppers? (I know I've read it somewhere, but it's late and the Mariners are losing:p)

4. john lucas

john lucas

I use spray on lacquer with several coats for the stoppers that have RUTH Niles stoppers. I want a thicker build that will last longer. I bave also used miwax wipe on poly but its slower to use and isnt easily repaired the way lacquer is.