• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Suggestions for adding color

I was lucky enough to receive a $20 gift cert from my local chapter after bringing a bowl for show and tell and am dyeing to use it....

I have a few projects waiting for some color and would like to buy some color dyes but there are a few choices. What would you consider using?

The ones im considering are...

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...__Coloring___Artisan_Dyes___artisan_dye?Args=

and

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...ring___Aniline_Powder_Dye___aniline_dye?Args=

I would entertain other suggestions not from Craft Supply as im sure I can find something else to spend my $20 on.

Jarred

I use Ritz cloth dye mixed with alcohol, acetone or water either the dry powder or the liquid. With the alcohol or acetone it doesn't raise the grain as mixed with water. If you use the powder and want to spary it -strain the mixture- before putting it into you air brush or spray gun or the solids (undissolved solids- salts) will plug it up. I would suggest doing the liqiud also just incase.
Or you can get dyes from Dharma Trading Company (www.dharmatrading.com) and pick the dyes from pages 6 & 7- and mixing instructions are on page 6. You can also mix these with either water or alcohol. You also need to strain this before using in an airbrush or spray gun or it will plug up. If using water and the colors are not mixing just right, you can wash with starch and rinse off with a wet sponge and erase the color. It works also with alcohol-(if mixed with alcohol) to blend the colors but you have to be fast.
What ever you use, set the piece aside for a day or so for the alcohol to completly evaporate or if water is used, for it to dry for a day or so before starting the finishing process.

Gary

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I've uses a lot of dyes over the years but after reading more about dye fading I have changed to the metallic trans tint dyes. they are expensive but should last a very long time. I buy Red, Yellow, blue, Green, Black and Brown. with those colors I can mix almost any color I want.
Of course that assumes you want to dye the wood. Painting is alot of fun. I've experimented with the Crackle paints, dry brushed colors, and I've used a Brayer and roll on inks for a different type of affect. Sponge painting is fun with both dyes and with pigment paint.

Back