• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Suggestions for the AAW

I recently joined the AAW and this forum. As I was reading through some of the threads, I discovered that some people seem to be disgruntled with the organization. As a new member, I’m certainly not disgruntled, but I have been thinking about some suggestions that might make the AAW an even better organization. Rather than “piling onâ€Â, I thought I might be able to locate a suggestion box through the website, but have not been able to find one. In lieu of that, I thought I would list some suggestions in this forum from a new member perspective. Perhaps other members, new and old, may want to add constructive suggestions of their own for consideration by the board. Here’s my list:

• Feedback - As I mentioned above, there should be a simple way through the website for members to provide feedback via some type of suggestion form or email address.

• Welcome Packet - Since joining, all I have received to date is a current copy of the American Woodturner Journal. Based on experience in other organizations, I guess I was expecting some type of welcome packet. It could include a welcome letter from the president and/or membership director, a past copy of the magazine and directory, some discounts/coupons, a membership card, and a list of membership benefits.

• Benefits - Speaking of membership benefits, I feel there should be more. For an average member like me, essentially all I’m getting is a quarterly magazine, a directory, and some discounts on AAW activities and merchandise. I’m a member of a photography organization and their list of benefits is huge and grows every year. Benefits that provide real value every month, such as discounts to retail stores and websites, would certainly drive up the AAW membership. For example, if the AAW negotiated with Craft Supplies to provide free shipping on all orders from AAW members, that would be a huge benefit. To retain business, Penn State might say, "fine, 10% off every order for AAW members", and the list of benefits would eventually begin to snowball. There could also be a “members only†portion of the website giving members access to valuable, timely, and constantly updated resources such as short video clips of turning tips and techniques, how-to documents, and past articles from the American Woodturner.

• Membership Card – Don’t make me request it or try to decipher my number from a magazine label. This should be automatic and absolutely necessary should the previous bullet ever take hold.
I realize it takes manpower to implement every suggestion and resources my already be stretched thin. I hope this list is received in the spirit that it is intended, to make the organization better. I’m looking forward to learning more about the AAW and improving my turning skills through the resources in this organization. Thanks!

Last edited:
Very good ideas. Especially your ideas concerning benefits. Locally, I can get discounts from a couple of WW stores by being a member of my turning club. One would think that the AAW, with its large membership base, would be in an even better position to negotiate discounts from national retailers. Even an occasional discount would be a good start.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
merchant discounts

I am assuming that neither of you are aware the some merchants already do that

Example, Craft Supplies gave me an AAW discount on the mini-drive that arrived yesterday.

KEW

n7bsn said:
I am assuming that neither of you are aware the some merchants already do that

Example, Craft Supplies gave me an AAW discount on the mini-drive that arrived yesterday.

Also, Hartville tool routinely runs an ad in the Journal offering a discount to AAW members.

Last summer JET and Powermatic offered rebates to AAW members only on their lathes (I know it was $100 on the PM3520B).

The discounts we see in the journal, or from the businesses are all great and appreciated. But what I read in Jeff's original post, and what I'd expect, is that AAW should be telling us about this as part of the "benefits of membership". This is a great and powerful website, with probably thousands of hits daily. A page for deals, programs, discounts, etc. Member's benefits, etc.
This all started with someone like me wondering where is the resource directory. This is the kind of info that needs to be out there, up front, in our face.
Just another opinion.....

I appreciate the additional insight, Maia and n7bsn, but Eddie is correct. I’m looking for the AAW’s Benefits of Membership page to be beefed up with formally negotiated long-term deals that I can refer to at any given time and know what’s available. I feel it would be a win-win for everyone: AAW members get more benefits and retailers get more business and exposure.

Jeff, you're right on target. Something happened 6 months or more ago which seemed to put restrictions on members being able to even renew membership(s) online. So far nothing in the way of a resolution to the problem. So, benefits for its members doesn't seem to be at the forefront of concern. I would like to have, even to the point of REQUESTING, a members benefits page with a update listing of discounts for members in good standing. I hope it happens.

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Jeff Moffett wrote:

I recently joined the AAW and this forum.

Jeff:

Welcome to the AAW! You make some very good suggestions, particularly with respect from the viewpoint of a new member. It would be good to consider some form of "welcome packet", however such a service would likely need to be compensated for monetarily through some additional 'initiation' fee if additional printing, postal mailing, etc. were needed to send new members materials, past 'sample' journals, etc. I am curious to know if you would you be willing to pay an initiation fee?

• Benefits - Speaking of membership benefits, I feel there should be more. For an average member like me, essentially all I’m getting is a quarterly magazine, a directory, and some discounts on AAW activities and merchandise. I’m a member of a photography organization and their list of benefits is huge and grows every year.

Could you please expand on the nature of this organization, what the dues structure is (graded dues?) Cost per year? What publications are associated with the organization?, and what the other membership benefits are, other than 'huge'? This is kind of a nebulous concept when most of us know what we get as part of our AAW membership, but at least I can't compare 'huge' to this.... Can you give us more details of what constitutes membership benefits in your photographic organization?

• Benefits that provide real value every month, such as discounts to retail stores and websites, would certainly drive up the AAW membership. For example, if the AAW negotiated with Craft Supplies to provide free shipping on all orders from AAW members, that would be a huge benefit.

I would like to know what you feel the AAW could do to 'negotiate' with retailers to offer AAW members free shipping, etc. Given the relatively few specialty woodturning vendors (.....compared, for example, to hundreds of photographic vendors - How many of these offer free shipping or discounts to your photo-group members?), I think it an entirely unrealistic expectation that these vendors be called upon to cut into their retail operations and bottom lines to give AAW members free shipping. Are you suggesting that the AAW somehow subsidize shipping costs from retail vendors? What is there to negotiate? It is up to the individual retailer to see whether they can offer discounts or special offers periodically, and still maintain a positive number in the profit column to keep the business going. I certainly wouldn't complain about receiving discounts or special offers as a customer, however considering these as benefits of AAW membership stretches the concept a bit, especially when extending this 'benefit' to 12,000+ AAW members.

If you don't know about this already, Craft Supplies DOES offer free shipping to any customer who orders $ 500 or more of merchandise (except on lathes), and offers a 13% discount and free shipping to woodturning groups (affiliated with the AAW or not) who order at least $ 1,000 in merchandise, when shipped to a single address. I personally arranged our woodturning group's purchase of over $ 2,300 in merchandise this month from Craft Supplies, and the customer service couldn't have been better. Craft Supplies definitely does its part to contribute the the woodturning community. I can't see how this could be negotiated with the AAW to make it a member benefit. It's simple economics. Each business is different, what discount they can afford to offer customers will be different, and this decision is up to those who are charged with keeping the business solvent and in operation. I would hate to see woodturning businesses go under because they were forced to "keep up the the Joneses" by de facto mandating a membership benefit for the AAW. Let the market decide who can offer discounts, sales, promotions and other 'customer perks' without bringing the AAW into the situation. Market competition will sort out the viable woodturning vendors like it usually does in other sectors of the retail market.

• To retain business, Penn State might say, "fine, 10% off every order for AAW members", and the list of benefits would eventually begin to snowball.

I'd like to think that this might be possible, but then reality sets in, and knowing that the profit margin on many of the turning items sold is not that huge, I predict that such a scenario might result in a melted snowball at best. I don't think that all vendors could simply "climb on board" with this scenario as easily as you propose, given differences in profit margin, volume of sales, advertising costs, etc. - everything that goes into running a business. It is just not that simple.....

• There could also be a “members only†portion of the website giving members access to valuable, timely, and constantly updated resources such as short video clips of turning tips and techniques, how-to documents, and past articles from the American Woodturner.

This I agree with, although folks should be reminded that the AAW web site development, etc. is provided for the most part by volunteers. This takes time away from the lathe, from family, and other activities, and we should be indebted to those who have gotten us this far. That's not to say we can't continue to improve. The system has had some recent problems that are being worked on. I am sure there are many additions possible to the web site and, as I recall, a members-only section of the site has been brought-up for discussion before.

Some of the membership benefits, etc. you suggest might be possible with a larger AAW office staff and a bit more operating capital from members' dues. Would you be willing to pay higher annual AAW dues to accomplish some of the suggestions you make? If so, e-mail the Board and make your thoughts and comments known. Every Board member I've met at the annual Symposia have been personable and willing to listen.

I am sure the Board members who read the forum (....hopefully most of them!) will take these suggestions to the next level for further discussion.

We certainly do need new members, and new perspectives on how the organization is being advanced.

I am looking forward to seeing comments and perspectives from others on this thread. Thanks for posting your ideas!

Rob Wallace

R

Ron Sardo

There is a forum, IAP which have a few companies that offer discounts to it's members.

Crafts USA and Klingspor to name a few.

IAP does this with no membership dues.

KEW

Ron Sardo said:
There is a forum, IAP which have a few companies that offer discounts to it's members.

Crafts USA and Klingspor to name a few.

IAP does this with no membership dues.

If you go to Craft Supplies USA's home page, scroll down and look to the right. You will see a reference to specials fror turning clubs. Click on it and type"AAW" and you will have access to those specials. It is the exact same system as IAP has (though the specials are different for the pen groups). It may be that better publicity of what exists is part of the issue. I don't know that I read about this. I think I just saw the link, typed in AAW, and it worked!

suggestion

Speaking of membership benefits, I feel there should be more. For an average member like me, essentially all I’m getting is a quarterly magazine, a directory, and some discounts on AAW activities and merchandise.

i have only been a member for a year, but feel the interaction and suggestions on different topics discussed on this forum has been my biggest benefit. I am still on the steep end of the learning curve but have been helped quite a bit and have enjoyed the advice given in my short membership. :D

R

Ron Sardo

KEW said:
If you go to Craft Supplies USA's home page, scroll down and look to the right. You will see a reference to specials fror turning clubs. Click on it and type"AAW" and you will have access to those specials. It is the exact same system as IAP has (though the specials are different for the pen groups). It may be that better publicity of what exists is part of the issue. I don't know that I read about this. I think I just saw the link, typed in AAW, and it worked!

Thanks Kew, I didn't know that

One only need look at the membership numbers and realize that our AAW is relatively small -- about 12,000 people more or less, including international members (did you know there are three AAW members in Luxembourg?).

Nonetheless, the board has managed to “staff†an office, publish the Journal (in full color and on nice paper, by the way), provide some educational grants, and organize the annual symposium. I have some experience with emerging and established organizations and I can tell you that sounds like a lot to me.

We could talk all day long what “would be nice†but the bottom line is this isn’t the AARP or the Auto Club with unlimited funds and expanding member demographics. The organization must stay focused and should avoid trying to do more than is practical, lest it become scattered and incapable of even the most basic functions.

My sense is most members join the AAW for reasons other than personal benefits. I joined after picking up a copy of AW at Rockler. I was psyched to find out others had the same passion for turning. For myself, the AAW is a conduit to the rest of the turning world. I bet it is the same for most Journal advertisers (the exception being the high-end lathe makers). These companies probably run ads to support the principles of the AAW and American Woodturner more than for any potential sales benefit. I’m glad they do and support them when I can out of gratitude for supporting us (after all, we members are the association).

Speaking of principals, the AAW’s stated purpose is to “foster a wider understanding and appreciation of lathe-turning…†The newsletter, annual symposium, directory and other services & benefits to members are designed to serve that purpose. While getting a discount on shipping would be nice, I’m not sure how that would foster a wider understanding and appreciation of lathe-turning. And if such a discount were to subtract funds from a company's ability to sponsor or support AAW functions, that would be a sad loss.

I, for one, appreciate the organization as it stands and would be highly suspicious if it were to shift its focus to do something impractical or off-target. If you think “they†should do more, first ask yourself if it fits the purpose of the organization. If it does, then ask yourself again what existing project or priority it could replace. If it still floats, then suggest it to the board and then when they approve it, volunteer to do the thing.

Ballard (Seattle) WA and Volcano, Hawaii....on top
For what it is worth, I don't really look at "bene's" when I look at a membership in a group like this. Don't get me wrong, whatever is available is nice, but it is not likely to be a big reason for my joining.

In the case of AAW it was an excellent magazine, and good online resources including this forum, and what has looked like an excellent symposium each year with its own set of excellent resources, and a chance to meet everyone I speak with here in the forum (this will be my first symposium coming up.) I also wanted to support the organization my club is affiliated with.

Now in my case, as a new turner, although I have an excellent club with terrific sharing people in it available to me, my work schedule often prevents me from doing too much with them as a club or as individuals. So, in my "isolation" if you will, the AAW helps fill a big void. And they do it nicely. All in all I consider the annual membership fee a good bargain for what we have here collectively. Bene's are icing, but the cake stands fine by itself in my view.

And, as Bob Hadley said, things this organization does should further its stated mission. Things beyond that can siphon resources that might be better used elsewhere in support of its mission.

Dave

Last edited:
Website
www.bobchapman.co.uk
new members

I too am a new member of the AAW, and like Jeff, the only response to my membership application and fee has been to receive a copy of 'American Woodturner'.

I must say I did expect to receive something formally accepting my membership and perhaps stating my membership number (assuming I have one) together with a membership card. I also thought that there might be some 'cheap deal' benefits organised with suppliers of tools etc, but as I live in England I assumed they would be irrelevant to me anyway.

I am also a member of the AWGB (Association of Woodturners of Great Britain). I assume, simply from the relative sizes of our two countries, that membership of AAW greatly exceeds membership of AWGB. My membership fee of AWGB is approximately a third of the fee for AAW and for it I receive a membership card, a members handbook (which gives details of discounts available to members from various traders, a number of grants available, scholarships open to members etc. etc.) there is also a quarterly journal (admittedly not printed to the same standard as 'American Woodturner', but still with excellent content).

Don't get me wrong - I'm still pleased to be a member of AAW, but without a membership card I'm not sure I feel a 'proper' member.

Bob

First of all, Love the organization, like what is done for its members, O.K. with the journal. What I get from this thread is that newer members want something a little more "professional" from its dues. Older members like it like it is. See any problem here? If recruiting new members is a goal, maybe, just maybe there's a lesson in this exercise.

AAW Suggestions

BEFORE I sent membership dues to AAW I went through the website and read everything that was available. I was quite impressed with what is available with membership. I was impressed with the amount of volunteerism that helps make up the AAW. I was very impressed with the sharing of knowledge with "newbies". (I will be a "newbie" for a long time) But if you don't read what's available, you will ask for more because that fits with today. Our society is all about ME, ME, ME!!!

My thanks to all the AAW members and visitors who have built this organization and to all volunteers who will follow through with their suggestions to improve the AAW. To the people I talk to on the telephone at the office, who brave the ice and snow and ungodly temperatures every day to answer my silly questions, I wish you some of my Florida Sunshine! Keep up the great work! :D

I don't know if some other things have been brought forward like insurance provided and the ability to apply for grants to learn. There are many benefits not immediately apparent. This is a great organization.

Bill's right it is a great organization. That said, what's wrong with suggesting improvements or changes, Isn't that how good organizations become BETTER. This whole thread is about trying to improve or at least make suggestions on how to improve; not about ME, ME, ME as was suggested. I could have benefited quite a lot by knowing a discount was available to members when they purchase from certain suppliers when I bought my lathe and turning tools and supplies.

Unfortunately some older members take suggestions as criticism. If we were all to keep our ideas to ourselves then things would never change, stagnate and then die.
Great organizations grow on ideas and suggestions. That's where AAW got where it is. The original suggestions of a welcome letter and membership card was excellent, at least it gives recognition to payment of dues.
And please stop harping on the "club" aspect of being a member of AAW. Many turners and members of AAW don't like to belong to clubs. I know, I'm president of The Bayou Woodturners and we contact every AAW member in the directory each year welcoming them to attend meetings or join the group. Even though we offer some of the best club benefits around, they don't want to be part of a club.
Please don't stifle the growth of AAW, accept suggestions, praise and criticism alike. They are all meant to strengthen the group as a whole.

Rob Wallace said:
I am curious to know if you would you be willing to pay an initiation fee?
Yes, I probably would, but I don’t think the AAW should implement it that way. The dues structure needs to be simple. The welcome packet should simply be a cost of doing business. The welcome information could be included in the same envelope with the first issue of the magazine.

Rob Wallace said:
Could you please expand on the nature of this photographic organization, what the dues structure is (graded dues?) Cost per year? What publications are associated with the organization?, and what the other membership benefits are, other than 'huge'? Can you give us more details of what constitutes membership benefits in your photographic organization?
The photography organization I was referring to is called the National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP). The annual dues are $99. They publish a magazine 8 times per year, but they publish much more than just a magazine. Every week they add both written and video tutorials to their website.

Rather than listing all the benefits here, I’d recommend visiting their Member Benefits page and their Discount page. Interestingly enough, the discount page isn’t even comprehensive. It’s just the teaser to get people to join. Once you’re logged in to the members’ only portion of their site, you can see the specific discounts and vendors, one of which is free shipping on all merchandise from a major photography retailer.

Rob Wallace said:
I would like to know what you feel the AAW could do to 'negotiate' with retailers to offer AAW members free shipping, etc.
The AAW could say, “Hey retailer, you’ve built a strong business selling products to woodturners. We’ve built the world’s largest organization of woodturners. You have the product that our people want, and we have the people you want to buy your products. We should get together and see how we can benefit each other. We could give your business multifaceted exposure directly to your target market, drive additional traffic through your doors, and increase your bottom line. In return, you could give our members a special discount that will keep them coming back.â€Â

Rob Wallace said:
Some of the membership benefits, etc. you suggest might be possible with a larger AAW office staff and a bit more operating capital from members' dues. Would you be willing to pay higher annual AAW dues to accomplish some of the suggestions you make?
Yes, I would, but more operating capital can also be achieved in other ways: more benefits = more members = more operating capital

Jeff,

I think both you and Captain Eddie have made some excellent suggestions. I know that whenever this type thing is brought up we are immediately told how much is done to produce the national symposium. I am one member that due to work commitments will never get to partake of that benefit until I hopefully can retire in a number of years. I believe there are a lot more out there in my shoes - consider that with 12,000 members less than 2,000 attend the symposium or about 15%. Should we be spending the majority of the membership benefit time and money to take care of 15% of the members each year? Just asking a question here for discussion.

I do believe that with the growth of the group this is something that needs to be looked at - should we go to a national symposium every 3rd year say and put the money the other years into other benefits? Again, food for thought!

I do think this discussion is good and necessary for the continued growth of the AAW.

Wilford

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Wilford Bickel said:
... - consider that with 12,000 members less than 2,000 attend the symposium or about 15%. Should we be spending the majority of the membership benefit time and money to take care of 15% of the members each year? Just asking a question here for discussion.
The reason the symposium moves around from region to region is so that people in that region, who may only be able to attend one symposium every three years, can go with less travel expenses. In addition to that, the symposium more than pays for itself, with the entry fee and the auction, which is where most of the money form grants and such come from.

I personally wonder why there is so few AAW members in the AAW affiliated clubs and when there is a local symposium why so few of those overall members (percentage-wise) attend those symposiums.

Yes, as a vendor, I do have a vested interest in the symposiums. Although with travel and fees, I don't make much money, but it is important to be seen there. (Also for the record, I am not a board member, rarely talk to them, and do not get any type of compensation for what we do on the forums)

Website
www.bobchapman.co.uk
Jeff, that’s exactly what I think and I could not have put it better. Elderbarryl is quite wrong if he thinks I’m motivated by selfishness, after all I can’t see how I personally would benefit from any of the negotiations you suggest. However, rather than ME, ME, ME, I don’t see why, as a group, the AAW shouldn’t think US, US, US. It certainly wouldn’t be the first organisation to seek privileges for its members and, equally certainly, it wouldn't be the last.

Bob

Last edited:
Ballard (Seattle) WA and Volcano, Hawaii....on top
Steve Worcester said:
I personally wonder why there is so few AAW members in the AAW affiliated clubs and when there is a local symposium why so few of those overall members (percentage-wise) attend those symposiums.

Steve,

Just curious....do you have the numbers for this handy? I have to admit, I have no idea how many of the Big Island Woodturners club belong to AAW as well. As I said earlier, I belong, mostly because my travel schedule makes it hard for me to attend club functions or seek help from others in the club. AAW helps fill that void through the forums (and I deeply appreciate all the advice you folks have given me over the last year....you all really helped me get over the beginner hurdles!!!!)

I am guessing, but beyond the professional turners in our club who make their living at this, I think a fairly high percentage of us are retired and presumably on a fixed income. My guess is those folks are less likely to pay an annual membership fee if they really don't need it. They might be getting what they need in terms of assistance and commaraderie from the club directly. Additionally I suspect that for most of us the cost of getting to the mainland is also prohibitive so the percentage of people from Hawaii who would make a symposium might also be lower.

It is interesting though that the membership percentage from AAW affiliated clubs is low.

We have a demo weekend coming up this Sat. For giggles I will try to remember to ask everyone if they belong and if not, why? More on that later.

Lastly, it might be interesting to start a thread listing the current "bene's" available to AAW members and see how many of those bene's folks were aware of? I wonder if we might just have a communication problem? And once folks see a consolidated list of what is available to them it would be interesting to hear what they thought was missing and hopefully consistent with the mission of AAW?

Dave

Steve Worcester said:
In addition to that, the symposium more than pays for itself, with the entry fee and the auction, which is where most of the money form grants and such come from.

If the symposium more than pays for itself then it would seem like there is a lot of membership money available to apply to benefits for the members. I just don't see it - like others have said maybe we need a full listing from our new Executive Officer. Sure would be nice to see him posting on here keeping us informed of benefits and what is happening. With all the textile customers the chemical company I work for sells to closing down and moving overseas things are getting tighter financially (thanks to such programs as NAFTA AND CAFTA!) - I hope I don't have to start choosing between sending in membership to AAW, my local club and the monthly Woodturning Magazine from England. Right now AAW would come out the looser based on what I receive for my membership. And yes I do believe it comes down to a "I" when I am spending my hard earned money!

Howdy Y'all: Well now, you have the "Golden Opportunity"! The AAW, this year, is in the midst of a vast makeover. I think you will see many many changes in the near future. My club was privilaged to have one of the AAW Directors, Larry Genender, visit and give a short presentation on the present and future of AAW. What an enlightment. I would encourage each of you to contact a Director and let them know directly what your thoughts and concerns are. There are a lot of good ideas posted here. AAW needs to know them. Let them know. Invite them to speak at a club meeting. You won't be sorry.

I really hate to bring this up, But Steve Worchester reports that the reason the symposium moves around year to year, etc. It was supposed to be in the southeast in 2008. But somehow Richmond Va was picked as the site. When does the Southeast get it's real turn? I could go to a symposium in Atlanta or Houston, even Katrina devistated New Orleans. (which is open for business, has tons of empty hotel rooms in June and July and the best food in America) But that's soapboxing and I'd just like to see fair being fair.
I'm all for hearing from a board member for an update, why not have one on a regular basis via the website? Things go right, things go wrong, but either way the membership deserves to hear about both, on a regular basis.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Captain Eddie said:
. But somehow Richmond Va was picked as the site. When does the Southeast get it's real turn? I could go to a symposium in Atlanta or Houston, even Katrina devistated New Orleans.
The symposium was in Orlando, thats about the closest I can see as the southeast. Before that San Antonio, way before that, Denton,TX.

Thanks Steve, but remember when it was supposed to be in the Southeast in 2008? It's to move to a different region every 4 years. One of the board members, who asked not to be mentioned, blamed the move on the quality and participation of the clubs. Seems that Orlando had good turnout, but poor club participation. Too bad the AAW is judging the entire Southeast by one symposium. But if you check last year's directory, and do a little math, the 2008 is just about in the heart of woodturning country. Fair is still fair.

Steve,

So I was wondering what the ratio of turners-to-AAW membership is.

Has anyone ever figured that out?

Does anyone provide basic market data for the “consumer†or “arts and crafts†lathe turning category?

For example it would be interesting to know how many lathes are sold in a given year and at what price point. Between the Woodworking Machinery Industry Association (WMIA) and Woodworking Machinery Manufactures of America (WMMA) they must be able to offer some sort of information for public consumption.

It would then be quite simple to compute the ratio of new lathe buyers year-over-year to new AAW members year-over-year and eventually extrapolate some basic and realistic assumptions about new-member opportunities.

Given that turning is a relatively special niche market among the woodworking community at large, it seems to me that 10,000+ members is rather remarkable. Fine Woodworking magazine has a circulation of about 500,000. Their readership spans the vast expanse of woodworkers from carvers to cabinet and chair makers (it was via their occasional articles on turning -- furniture parts, I think -- that got me interested). So with a member-to-subscriber ratio of 50:1, it that seems AAW is doing pretty good as a function of the overall enthusiast audience. Yes it would be nice if the AAW had more members, but I don’t see how the membership could grow to, say 20,000 members, unless there are 20,000 enthusiastic wood turners first.

BH

Steve Worcester said:
I would venture a guess that FAR LESS than half of the members in clubs are AAW members also.

Judging from the two Chapters I belong to, I'll go Steve one better and be willing to bet the AAW member rate is one third or lower.

Disclaimer: There are always exceptions.
:D

Currently, there are 267 AAW chapters and 11,926 AAW members. That averages out to 45 AAW members per chapter.

Now have a look through the chapter listings here: AAW Local Chapter List ...and compare the actual local chapter member count to the 45 average AAW member figure.

My math indicates that roughly 2 out of 3 local chapter members are also AAW members.

BTW, of those 267 chapters, only 12 entered this year's website competition.

YoYoSpin said:
Currently, there are 267 AAW chapters and 11,926 AAW members. That averages out to 45 AAW members per chapter.

Now have a look through the chapter listings here: AAW Local Chapter List ...and compare the actual local chapter member count to the 45 average AAW member figure.

My math indicates that roughly 2 out of 3 local chapter members are also AAW members.

BTW, of those 267 chapters, only 12 entered this year's website competition.

Ed,

Not to be argumentative, just anal. How many of the 11,926 are independent non-chapter members or international members also unaffiliated to AAW Chapters? Also how many AAW members belong to more than one chapter?
:D

Thank you Steve...........

Steve Worcester said:
How many belong to no chapter or how many woodturners aren't AAW OR chapter members.

you helped me make my point. How do you begin to quantify the original question. How many members of AAW affiliated Chapters actually belong to the AAW? May be the Federal Government can ask that question during the next census. :D Why not they ask how many toilets I have in my house. :eek:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I belong to 4 clubs and I know that we have well less than half that belong to the AAW. If that holds true with all clubs then there are a lot of turners out there. I also know that there are quite a few turners in our area that don't belong to a club at all. Some people just aren't club people or simply don't have time.

Captain Eddie said:
Seems that Orlando had good turnout, but poor club participation. Too bad the AAW is judging the entire Southeast by one symposium.
Eddie,
I strongly disagree with your commment re: Orlando & club participation. As I recall, there were 4 or 5 participating clubs and everyone did their job!
Was the unnamed board member serving on the board at the time of the 2004 Symposium? My guess would be no.

Back