• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Supernova2

Website
www.seafoamwoodturning.com
Can anyone tell me how the safety stops work on the jaws of the Supernova 2 chuck, and if they can easily be removed? I have looked at the instructions for dismantling and cleaning, which now seems to be ridiculously complicated, but its not at all clear how this is all put together, and without a circlip tool not something I can do easily.

The snap ring has to come off first, no other way. The rest is easy, but remember that the jaws have to go back in their original orientation.

If you buy a snap ring tool, take the chuck with you so that you get the right size. Most of the ones they sell at the auto stores are too small.

Hope this helps.

Rich

Website
Somewhat, but my prime question is if I do all that, can the safety mechanism be got rid of? On the old design it was a simple case of removing a pin, or grinding it off - it's been so long I can't remember, but I know it was pretty easy and obvious what to do. I have looked at the drawings for the sn2 and can't see how this works.

OK, so here's a pic showing the jaw slide as it fits into the scroll. You can see that the thin part of the scroll, on the left, acts as the stop as it abuts the side of the jaw slide. I assume that one could grind that part of the jaw slide off if one was so inclined..........

Attachments

• IMG_2170.JPG
    IMG_2170.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 106
There is a small screw on the top outside edge of the chuck body at the end of either the #1 or #3 jaw which can be removed (normally #1). This is what the jaw slide contacts and keeps the jaws from opening more.
You may also be able to just screw it deeper into the chuck body so it does not make contact with the jaw slide. I haven't tried that.
I would not remove it except for maintenance.

page 8
http://www.teknatool.com/products/chucks/nova/downloads/Nova Chuck Manual.pdf

Website
May I ask why you want to do away with the stops?

R

For more flexibility. There are no jaws that will grip a 1.5" cylinder or spigot, so I use the 1" jaws with the sliders extended. I shall probably also run into problems with all the extensions I have made over the years for my cole jaws.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
For more flexibility. There are no jaws that will grip a 1.5" cylinder or spigot, so I use the 1" jaws with the sliders extended. I shall probably also run into problems with all the extensions I have made over the years for my cole jaws.

Have you looked at the 35 or 45 mm spigot jaws? The 35 goes down to 1.2 inches and the 45 to 1.5

These will. http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chuck_Accessories/75mm_longnosed.htm One of the best reasons for buying them is they can do the incredible 2x2. Second is they're long-nosed.
The jaws want to expand with rotation of the lathe, so I wouldn't take away anything that would get in the way of them becoming dental implants.

Last edited:
There is a small screw on the top outside edge of the chuck body at the end of either the #1 or #3 jaw which can be removed (normally #1). This is what the jaw slide contacts and keeps the jaws from opening more.
You may also be able to just screw it deeper into the chuck body so it does not make contact with the jaw slide. I haven't tried that.
I would not remove it except for maintenance.

page 8
http://www.teknatool.com/products/chucks/nova/downloads/Nova Chuck Manual.pdf

Michael,

The current production SN2 doesn't use this screw.

R

Website
Website
www.ralphandellen.us
They are spec'd at 1.575" min, which might work sometimes, but are a bit marginal.

What's the "
the incredible 2x2" ?

George (MM) might mean they grab a 2x2 great.
Those are my general "go to" jaws. they provide a great grip and give me an easier reach to the outside then the regular jaws

They are spec'd at 1.575" min, which might work sometimes, but are a bit marginal.

What's the "
the incredible 2x2" ?

The one piece of "thick" stock almost anyone can find around the house. When you rip a "new" 2x4 you get 1.5x1.625. Round the corners and the two little flats won't matter.

I own the chew jaws. Would never waste my money on 'em again. These have a redeeming dovetail available.

Back