• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Talon chuck insert (1 1/4 x 8) cross LH/RH threaded question

Looking at getting the Oneway Talon chuck with insert (1 1/4×8) cross LH/RH threaded. Just wondering what y’all think about the thread strength (being threaded both ways) and how it will hold as far as any run out. This is for Robust Scout lathe getting ready to order that’s threaded (1 1/4×8) RH inboard and (1 1/4×8) LH outboard. Robust has the face plate threaded this way (cross LH/RH) for this lathe. Owners of Robust Scout lathe what chuck y'all using or recommend? Would like to get the Vicmarc VM100 chuck but can't find it direct LH threaded or LH/RH cross threaded (without insert). The VM100 insert screws in RH which defeats the purpose of having LH threaded spindle. The Talon is taper insert with 3 screws to hold. THANKS
Just want to add the Robust Scout Lathe has 14" swing over ways inboard and 21" outboard.

Last edited:
Website
www.steercreekwood.com
I have used the same Oneway Talon chuck with the 1.25"x8 thread for over ten years and it is still working fine. Never had a problem with the thread. It has two set screws to lock the chuck to the spindle, only time I use the set screws is when I run the lathe in reverse.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
While it might feel like it has a little too much free play as it is being screwed onto the spindle, once it makes contact with the registration face it will be in perfect alignment. It is important to understand that threads are only for fastening and do not provide alignment. The registration faces at the base of the spindle threads and the back of the chuck insert are what provide the alignment.

As far as thread strength are concerned, the RH/LH configuration has far in excess of what is needed. After all we're not talking about torque such as using a pipe wrench and cheater bar to install the chuck. We're only using wrist torque.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Bill is dead on. I had a faceplate for an older Delta that I used that way for many years. Never had a bit of problem with it. My question is, how often do you think you will use the outboard side. I love my Vicmarc's but Oneway chucks are also excellent.

Vicmarc VM100 chuck would be my preferred choice. What do y'all thing if I get the Vicmarc VM100 with LH spindle threaded insert and use loctite on the RH threads into chuck? Having 2 chucks (VM100) one RH and one LH threaded is no problem. Was plan on getting 2 chucks anyway.
Looks like the Oneway Talon with cross RH/LH threaded insert is best option maybe? ? ? ?

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
The only problem I've ever had with inserts threaded both L/H and R/H......is initially mating the threads onto the spindle. For inserts, or faceplates that are R/H only, it gets started more easily. This can be a PITA when the wood is already mounted, and you have extra weight to deal with. I have four Oneway Stronghold chucks......one with straight R/H thread, and three with both L/H and R/H. The one with only R/H threads is the least problematic for getting the threads aligned and screwed on.

I understand Oneway refuses to make the single directional inserts anymore. I would have preferred them, but they are being stubborn about it! :mad:

-----odie-----

Purchased 2 Vicmarc VM 100 chucks direct RH threaded for inboard turning.
Gonna use faceplate that comes with lathe for outboard turning for now.

Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
I have a bi-directional spindle adapter on my big #3 Stronghold that I bought about a year ago. I've turned at least 50 good sized bowls—maybe 100—on this chucks and the threads look new. That said, all my older chucks are single direction, and that seems intrinsically better to me.

The Talon is so much smaller, I would anticipate no problems.

The only problem I've ever had with inserts threaded both L/H and R/H......is initially mating the threads onto the spindle. For inserts, or faceplates that are R/H only, it gets started more easily. This can be a PITA when the wood is already mounted, and you have extra weight to deal with. I have four Oneway Stronghold chucks......one with straight R/H thread, and three with both L/H and R/H. The one with only R/H threads is the least problematic for getting the threads aligned and screwed on.

I understand Oneway refuses to make the single directional inserts anymore. I would have preferred them, but they are being stubborn about it! :mad:

-----odie-----

Odie, I don’t know who told you that Oneway only makes RH/LH threaded adaptors, that is not true, have a look here on the Oneway website that shows the Adaptors.

https://oneway.ca/products-category/adaptors/Stronghold-Adaptors

I have several threaded Oneway chucks, and use them on my smaller lathes, they are LH/RH threaded, I have no problems with them, my oldest chuck is over 20 years old and works still like the day I got it, not rusted as the chucks have non rusting surfaces, unlike the Vicmarc that will rust.
On my large lathe I use a MT#4 where the chucks are mounted on, these have plain unthreaded adapters in them to fit onto the MT shaft, this prevents the unthreading that can happen with threaded adaptors.

Turning forward and backward I do all the time, and is safe to do for me.

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Odie, I don’t know who told you that Oneway only makes RH/LH threaded adaptors, that is not true, have a look here on the Oneway website that shows the Adaptors.

https://oneway.ca/products-category/adaptors/Stronghold-Adaptors

I have several threaded Oneway chucks, and use them on my smaller lathes, they are LH/RH threaded, I have no problems with them, my oldest chuck is over 20 years old and works still like the day I got it, not rusted as the chucks have non rusting surfaces, unlike the Vicmarc that will rust.
On my large lathe I use a MT#4 where the chucks are mounted on, these have plain unthreaded adapters in them to fit onto the MT shaft, this prevents the unthreading that can happen with threaded adaptors.

Turning forward and backward I do all the time, and is safe to do for me.

Howdy, Leo.......check your own link. There is no 1 1/4 x 8 tpi RH only on there.

Last I heard, Oneway will not make them available.

Is it possible that the RH adapters shown there, are those that are still in stock, but they have no plans to make more?

-----odie-----

Edit Note: I do see "special thread" adaptor Part No 0300. I don't believe this one was on their site the last time I checked:

https://oneway.ca/products-category/adaptors/Stronghold-Adaptors/Special Thread Stronghold?limit=100

It doesn't say what "special thread" means, but it might mean they will cut it to specifications.....dont' know.....:confused:

-----OD-----

Last edited:
Yo Odie, hé you are right, that size is not being offered in just LH or RH, I’m quite sure it has been before, I wonder why, maybe as the majority of users use it both inboard and outboard or want to.

It would not surprise me that they had a bunch of complains from people trying to exchange the inserts every time they did want to change sides, because they bought the single threaded inserts.

They do seem to have the single threaded inserts for all other sizes (No I didn’t check all of them) :)

Ha learned something new again, (check first Leo):oops:

The special tread thing is for treads that are not offered, maybe like WhitWorth thread or some other special extra coarse or fine thread, though they do offer quite a range of different ones already, and yes I knew they did offer that service, but the website has been changed a lot and rather than a list of threads offered they have the setup you see now, easier to find than before.

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Yo Odie, hé you are right, that size is not being offered in just LH or RH, I’m quite sure it has been before

Yes, the RH only 1 1/4" x 8tpi thread adapter was available at one time. I now have four Stronghold chucks, and the first one has RH only threads. That one was purchased in the early 1990's, and the other three Strongholds were purchased between 2000 and 2010, I believe. Those all have the RH/LH thread adapters. Even if the RH only adapters were available, I probably wouldn't bother to purchase them, at this point. The RH/LH adapters don't thread onto the spindle as easily as the RH only adapter......it's a minor problem, but not big enough of a problem to invest in replacements. If the RH only adapters were available, that's what I'd want......but, I doubt seriously if I'm ever going to purchase another Stronghold chuck.

Good day to you, Leo..... :D

-----odie-----

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
They have always offered the "special" thread which simply means that you call them and tell them what you want. When my lathes all had 1 X 8 spindle threads, the only adapters in regular stock were the LH/RH cross threaded adapters. I do agree with Odie, but it depends somewhat on the lathe threads. The fit was really loosey goosey on my old Delta boat-anchor lathe, but on my Jet mini lathe the fit was much better. I got Kevin to make a special adapter for my Delta with a counterbore for the unusual registration face on the Delta spindle, but not before having to listen to him go on and on about why I should get it threaded RH/LH.

After getting my Robust lathe, I just went to the local Rockler Hardware and bought several 1¼ X 8 adapters. I intended to get only RH adapters, but inadvertently got one that was RH/LH. However, I found that it was not a problem because of the higher precision threads on the spindle.

I agree with Leo that the tapered adapter is better than the screw in adapters. The last Vicmarc chuck that I bought is direct threaded which is better than the screw in type, but lacks the versatility of the tapered adapters ... which would only matter to someone who might upgrade to a larger lathe some day. I also agree that the Vicmarc jaws are more prone to rusting. For me, the main attractions of the Vicmarc chucks are the wide range of jaws and the closer realignment when removing and reinstalling a turning. This is important for some of the things that I turn where I mount the piece in multiple orientations. While the dovetail jaws at the perfect circle diameter is an advantage in some situations, they also are often a disadvantage when not at the perfect circle diameter. So for most routine turning I prefer using my Oneway chucks with the "profiled" jaws (they are not serrated as frequently and incorrectly stated. However, you can get serrated jaws for Vicmarc and Nova chucks).

odie

TOTW Team
So for most routine turning I prefer using my Oneway chucks with the "profiled" jaws (they are not serrated as frequently and incorrectly stated.

Hiya Bill.....

I've always called them serrated....even though the official description calls them "profiled"......but, the detailed description calls them serrated!

The Oneway® Profiled No. 2 Jaw Set features a serrated dovetail profile for increased gripping power on bowls"

o_O:D

I guess I'll know what you speak of, if you call them by their proper name! :)

-----odie-----

Back