1. Join the Go-To Source for Woodturners!

Please read the new sticky announcement here for full details.

Dismiss Notice

Talon chuck insert (1 1/4 x 8) cross LH/RH threaded question

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Jason Waguespack, Feb 13, 2018 at 11:38 AM.

1. Jason Waguespack

Jason Waguespack

Looking at getting the Oneway Talon chuck with insert (1 1/4×8) cross LH/RH threaded. Just wondering what y’all think about the thread strength (being threaded both ways) and how it will hold as far as any run out. This is for Robust Scout lathe getting ready to order that’s threaded (1 1/4×8) RH inboard and (1 1/4×8) LH outboard. Robust has the face plate threaded this way (cross LH/RH) for this lathe. Owners of Robust Scout lathe what chuck y'all using or recommend? Would like to get the Vicmarc VM100 chuck but can't find it direct LH threaded or LH/RH cross threaded (without insert). The VM100 insert screws in RH which defeats the purpose of having LH threaded spindle. The Talon is taper insert with 3 screws to hold. THANKS
    Just want to add the Robust Scout Lathe has 14" swing over ways inboard and 21" outboard.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 12:02 PM
  2. Fred Belknap

Fred Belknap

Home Page:
    I have used the same Oneway Talon chuck with the 1.25"x8 thread for over ten years and it is still working fine. Never had a problem with the thread. It has two set screws to lock the chuck to the spindle, only time I use the set screws is when I run the lathe in reverse.

3. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    While it might feel like it has a little too much free play as it is being screwed onto the spindle, once it makes contact with the registration face it will be in perfect alignment. It is important to understand that threads are only for fastening and do not provide alignment. The registration faces at the base of the spindle threads and the back of the chuck insert are what provide the alignment.

As far as thread strength are concerned, the RH/LH configuration has far in excess of what is needed. After all we're not talking about torque such as using a pipe wrench and cheater bar to install the chuck. We're only using wrist torque.

4. john lucas

john lucas

Bill is dead on. I had a faceplate for an older Delta that I used that way for many years. Never had a bit of problem with it. My question is, how often do you think you will use the outboard side. I love my Vicmarc's but Oneway chucks are also excellent.

5. Jason Waguespack

Jason Waguespack

Vicmarc VM100 chuck would be my preferred choice. What do y'all thing if I get the Vicmarc VM100 with LH spindle threaded insert and use loctite on the RH threads into chuck? Having 2 chucks (VM100) one RH and one LH threaded is no problem. Was plan on getting 2 chucks anyway.
    Looks like the Oneway Talon with cross RH/LH threaded insert is best option maybe? ? ? ?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 4:48 PM
  6. odie

odie

The only problem I've ever had with inserts threaded both L/H and R/H......is initially mating the threads onto the spindle. For inserts, or faceplates that are R/H only, it gets started more easily. This can be a PITA when the wood is already mounted, and you have extra weight to deal with. I have four Oneway Stronghold chucks......one with straight R/H thread, and three with both L/H and R/H. The one with only R/H threads is the least problematic for getting the threads aligned and screwed on.

I understand Oneway refuses to make the single directional inserts anymore. I would have preferred them, but they are being stubborn about it! :mad:

-----odie-----

7. Marshall Sadler

Marshall Sadler

Is the spindle threading different on the Robust scout compared to the Oneway 2436? I have no problem using the same inserts on my outboard and my inboard.