• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Termite hollower bit integrity

Has anyone else had their Termite hollower bit bust in half? I still have the smaller one which is working well for hollowing but the larger one sheared right in half on about the second day I was using it. It was a catch that slammed it down on the tool rest. Pretty dramatic catch but still it was not like I dropped it and it hit just right and shattered. What I am wondering is if I should just chalk it up to bad luck and buy another bit for $30 or will I be throwing good money after bad? I am really new at turning but it seems to work very well for hollowing.

I am turning green wood. White oak.

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee

Jim
It took me four days to accomplish THE CATCH and break off the termite. I was a very new turner at the time.
If you are planning to use the termite for roughing out all of the interior, you will be sharpening them to “whispers” of steel in short order. Might I suggest you consider the termite as a finish cut tool.
Try this. Drill a hole 3/8 or ½ inch hole to the finished depth of the bowl (wrap some blue tape on the drill shank to mark the depth). Use a swept back bowl gouge to work from the middle (the hole) out until you have room for the gouge to use a push cut (making sure you are rubbing the bevel) to get close to the finished thickness. Then switch to a very sharp termite to make your finish cuts.
If you are not yet comfortable with the gouge, bite the bullet and purchase one of the carbide “ring” tools like the Hunter or the Eliminator. Either of these tools provide much more support to the cutter and the cutting edges are far more durable than the termite and they don’t clog like the termite. Some say they can get a great cut just with the carbide tools but I haven’t found it to be true for me. Perhaps I need better technique.
Per my previous response to you earlier question about the termite, start your finish cuts (working in sections) from the rim and work towards the foot. That way, the thicker wood will support the thinner cuts and a minor catch won’t destroy the work. It also helps minimize the flexing of the piece at it becomes thinner. (using your hand or a steady rest to control the flexing of the wood is a whole other subject. Check with your local AAW chapter and I'm sure one of the members would love to show you their technique)

Jim keenan

Last edited by a moderator:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I haven't heard of any of the termite tools breaking but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Hook tools and ring tools can be catchy if not used properly and can easily break. The ring tools are stronger than Hook tools in this regard.
I use the Hunter tools now. They cut just like the ring tools but are solid carbide. The don't need sharpening and won't break from a catch. You can chip the edge if you bang it against another tool but you simply loosen the screw, rotate to a new edge and keep going. The cutters are replaceable if you do ever dull or break one.

The termite works great for gollowing end grain and clean up on any type - IMHO

We're you using the termite to hollow face grain? And how were you presenting the tool to the wood?

Yep, broke one pretty much immediately when I decided it would be a good thing to use on a recently dry, but oval hole in the wood. After that I decided that I'd use them like a gouge at 90 degrees to the shaft, which is what they looked like, using the outside as my guide. Haven't done one since. Let the scrapers or regular gouges take the whacks. They're bigger than 1/8x1/4" in dimension.

Termite Bit

I had my Termite for nearly 3 year before breaking a bit.
A tough Walnut knot in a rather large cookie jar took it out.
Half of the bit was still stuck in the knot.
This was my fault entirely, trying to take too big a cut.
I knew better but proceeded.
The new tip I have is about 2 years old.

Back