• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Termite Tool

When using my Termite tool I have to push really hard to get it to cut. I've watched the video and seem to be sharpening it correctly and using it properly.

Does anyone have experience with this tool and if so can you give me some tips?

Thanks,

Dave F.

I use termite tools frequently and like them a lot. I'm assuming you're using the tool to hollow out a bowl or hollow form, either end grain or side grain. I use it for both. Here's how I set mine up and use it. The tool rest is set slightly above center (1/4"-3/8") and the tool bit is presented to the wood vertically so it touches the wood at center or slightly below (1/8"-1/4"). At this point the tool will not cut or cuts very little. I slowly rotate the tool bit to the right until it starts cutting. It shouldn't take much rotation to get it to cut. Be very cautious about how far you rotate the tool bit. The more you rotate the bit, the more aggressive the cut. As the tool starts to cut, the handle of the tool is slowly moved to the right, staying at the same angle. You are basically pulling the tool into the wood and you should be getting long shavings, especially in green wood. I made a very long handle for my termite tool so I can put the butt of the tool in my armpit to help control the cut. Hope this helps.
Tim Carter

Think of the tool as a gouge mounted at 90 degrees to the handle and follow regular gouge protocols. It's more difficult to get the high entry angles with the termite, which is why Craterdog recommends a combination of rotating and opening the circle while pulling the handle away from parallel to the sides. Just be careful you don't over-rotate, or you can hook big time.

I you have a long handle with your tool you may wish to use it as the turners of old used the hook tool. You just can't run a shaving out the open portion, so you don't want to be quite as aggressive as you could be lest you jam shavings in the ring.

Note that you have two different bevel angles. As always, lesser included peels better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk7I31-D4No Nice video. Others on the right side.

Back