• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

The Frugal Woodturner

Website
www.mikepeacewoodturning.com
I picked up a copy of Ernie Conover's book The Frugal Woodturner. It has some great tips for turners on a budget. I found the advice on making pressure chucks, jam chucks, collet chucks etc. very informative. I have several different chuck jaws but it was interesting to see how to manage without an expensive scroll chuck or a special jaw set. Some of the techniques have probably been around for many years but almost a lost art as many have been replaced by modern scroll chucks which may make some projects easier but do not make them possible.

Just look up that marvel of the fussy holds the Longworth Chuck and you'll see a great project for those whose interests run more to making tools rather than bowls. I just sell the projects to pay for ready-made, personally. I still have a couple of my "originals" with felt covering plugged screw holes, but even my "Masterchuck" made so much more turning time in return for the investment that I could justify it in my mind. When I got my first Nova about 25 years ago, I was in hog heaven.

Bit of a Neanderthal in my use of hand planes and carving tools, so I suppose that makes up for some of it.

Last edited:
Go here
http://www.cumberlandwoodturners.com/htm/tips.htm
Then click on methods and jigs for reverse turning bowls. You will find some more interesting ways to hold work.

That's a really nice article, John, one I've reread several times. I wonder if you have a thought on reverse holding dried blanks that have a fairly flat bottom and have turned fairly oval in the drying in order to restore the tenon. Something like a deep platter.

Thanks.

Dean Center

Dean-

What about mounting the deep platter between centers (drive spur in tennon, obviously) with a block between the live center and the bottom of the platter so it doesn't get marred ?

Touch up the tennon and then you can re-chuck it in the scroll.

Back