• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

The nitty-gritty of power sanding

This recent bowl got me to pull out the virtually unused power sander, along with my starter kit from Vince. The only instruction I've had on using one is to use the edge to sand, and keep it moving. Things went pretty OK with the Madrona bowl, but not perfect, and there were areas of the bowl where it seemed touch-and-go keeping a steady, smooth contact. Any details on what direction to move the sander (using the clock-face references, for instance), especially if changing the spin on the sander from forward to reverse, what to do in a curve, that kind of thing. I used 2" for most of it, but on the coarser grits, I used 1" in the curve below the rim.

One thing I noticed is that Vince's kit skips from 80 to 120 (no 100), and from 120 to 180 (no 150). That didn't work so well, I filled in with Abranet H&L.

Hi Jamie, check your title (different question).

I'm interested in this topic too. I have the Milwaukee angle drill with Vince's interface pads and green disks - 2". The lower grits are definitely more grabby and while it goes OK I also could use some pointers. I find myself locking elbows in and moving more from my legs. Looking forward to additional input.

Last edited:
Sanding is very much a learning curve to accomplish. One primary thing to remember is to change the paper frequently. Used paper does not become the next grit just because it is worn down. Worn paper does not cut either as fast nor as cleanly as fresh, and you will tend to use pressure. Let the paper do the work and do not apply any more pressure than the sander would if held loosely.
I usually sand from base to rim outside and the opposite inside. You can sand some with lathe running slooow, but not as a standard. If you have a rough patch such as end grain tearout concentrate on that spot with a sweeping motion. You do not need to tilt sander and sand with the edge. Edges will dig in so you will want the pad flat (or nearly so) on the work.
I have had good luck with 3 inch pad on outside and 2 inside, But the idea of 1 inch under the rim sounds good. Sand the outside before hollowing the inside, at least to 180. This reduces the heat from sanding inside and outside at the same time and causing cracks. Go thru all the grits. For most bowls I stop at 220 or 320, however there are some here who go past 800. Anything above 320 will be covered by finish higher grits if only using wax.
As to direction it depends on the wood. I sand in reverse if I have a fuzzy grain, bu not on all bowls. The last 2 grits you use should be done by hand and sand with the grain. This way scratches will be more likely to be hidden in the grain.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Having a solid base for sanding is necessary for keeping the sander from grabbing, and making smooth transitions through curves. Here is my solution to that. I have several adjustable platforms where I can steady my elbow, forearm, and wrists while sanding. Power sanding is so much better when you don't have to rely on strength to be steady.........:p

I've glued rubber matting onto three sides of the blocks, and this allows for three height possibilities.....depending on the need at the time.

ko

Attachments

• IMG_1372.jpg
    IMG_1372.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 81

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
The basics for me are slow speed on the lathe 300 rpm or less Hi speed with the sander

Sand opposite the lathe direction.
If the wood is coming down on the side you are sand in have the edge of the disc in contact going up.
Light touch works better not than heavy.

I watch the edge of the disc. As long as there is a stream of sanding dust coming off the wood the paper is working.
Change the paper when you stop seeing the sanding stream. I have a dust collection set to pull the sanding stream.

After running the sander over the surface 2-3 times I stop the lathe.
I sand any spots that standout with the lamp the off trying nit to dig a hole.
Then turn in the lathe and sand the whole surface to blend everything together.
If In had a good day with the gouge there won't be any trouble spots...

Al

This recent bowl got me to pull out the virtually unused power sander...

I can't answer your question directly. I quit power sanding with a rotating disk a long time ago and have forgotten the finer points.

For future consideration: At the TAW symposium Rudy Lopez described a Grex air-operated random orbital sander. I bought one and I like it a lot. It is a lot smaller and lighter weight than my Milwaukee angle drill, but does of course need a good air supply near the lathe. It is easy to sand at a very slow orbital speed, very gently if desired with fine paper, or wide open if needed. It comes with a 2" velcro pad and I got the 1" pad attachment and extension shafts as well.

Since the disk is not spinning the direction of rotation doesn't matter much if you sand with the bowl turning. Not much chance of the edge of the disk taking off too much either. So far I've used it successfully on mostly flat figured maple and some nasty hickory.

Ken Rizza at Woodturners Wonders told me today he will soon offer an inexpensive palm sander for turners. I should have one in a few weeks and I'll post my impressions.

JKJ

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The thread title was changed from "General Finishes shelf life" to "The nitty-gritty of power sanding" at the request of Jamie Straw (the thread starter). She said something about her computer ate her homework ... or something like that.

The thread title was changed from "General Finishes shelf life" to "The nitty-gritty of power sanding" at the request of Jamie Straw (the thread starter). She said something about her computer ate her homework ... or something like that.

Hah, hah!! Thanks, Bill! I don't know what happened, but I have a thread over at SMC about the General Finishes. Thanks to Douglas for raising the flag about the title.

Hi Jamie, check your title (different question).

I'm interested in this topic too. I have the Milwaukee angle drill with Vince's interface pads and green disks - 2". The lower grits are definitely more grabby and while it goes OK I also could use some pointers. I find myself locking elbows in and moving more from my legs. Looking forward to additional input.

I had to resort to 80 grit on the infamous Madrona bowl. Definitely went best when I concentrated on using just the edge of the pad/paper. Glad to see so many responses here, off to digest the details.

Sanding is very much a learning curve to accomplish. One primary thing to remember is to change the paper frequently. Used paper does not become the next grit just because it is worn down. Worn paper does not cut either as fast nor as cleanly as fresh, and you will tend to use pressure. Let the paper do the work and do not apply any more pressure than the sander would if held loosely.
I usually sand from base to rim outside and the opposite inside. You can sand some with lathe running slooow, but not as a standard. If you have a rough patch such as end grain tearout concentrate on that spot with a sweeping motion. You do not need to tilt sander and sand with the edge. Edges will dig in so you will want the pad flat (or nearly so) on the work.
I have had good luck with 3 inch pad on outside and 2 inside, But the idea of 1 inch under the rim sounds good. Sand the outside before hollowing the inside, at least to 180. This reduces the heat from sanding inside and outside at the same time and causing cracks. Go thru all the grits. For most bowls I stop at 220 or 320, however there are some here who go past 800. Anything above 320 will be covered by finish higher grits if only using wax.
As to direction it depends on the wood. I sand in reverse if I have a fuzzy grain, bu not on all bowls. The last 2 grits you use should be done by hand and sand with the grain. This way scratches will be more likely to be hidden in the grain.

Nice to know I had the right idea with the 1" pad in the curve. I'm not sure I understand "but not as standard" in the first blue sentence above. Are you referring to running the lathe super-slow? My Jet bottoms out at 550, the Comet at 400. Re: sanding with the edge -- that was emphasized to me by my prime mentor, and it seems to work. The pads/interface pads are soft on the edge (under the edge of the round paper), and I'm very careful. If I get too much of the pad, it seems to not be a good thing.

Re: "reverse" -- on the Jet, I only have the option of changing direction on the sander itself. The Comet (bless its little heart:cool:), the lathe goes either way.

I'm pretty liberal changing the paper -- the axiom "...as if someone else pays for it" is OK with me. The discs I have seem high quality, and the in-betweens I do with Abranet are, of course, just great. Geez, I love that stuff!

Having a solid base for sanding is necessary for keeping the sander from grabbing, and making smooth transitions through curves. Here is my solution to that. I have several adjustable platforms where I can steady my elbow, forearm, and wrists while sanding. Power sanding is so much better when you don't have to rely on strength to be steady.........:p

I've glued rubber matting onto three sides of the blocks, and this allows for three height possibilities.....depending on the need at the time.

ko

Hey, Odie -- I remember those (in the picture) from when I first joined (re-joined) the forum! Yep, I think you're right, will aim to make a couple/three platforms. My body mechanics in the shoulder girdle are pretty poor -- more old horse-related stress and injuries -- so an arm-steady would help no doubt!

The basics for me are slow speed on the lathe 300 rpm or less Hi speed with the sander
Oops, out of luck there, but can get down to 400 rpm with the Comet.

Sand opposite the lathe direction.
If the wood is coming down on the side you are sand in have the edge of the disc in contact going up.
Light touch works better not than heavy.
So far so good. Question: What the best approach near the center?

I watch the edge of the disc. As long as there is a stream of sanding dust coming off the wood the paper is working.
Change the paper when you stop seeing the sanding stream. I have a dust collection set to pull the sanding stream.
Have yet to have the stream stop, so haven't been over-sanding.:rolleyes:

After running the sander over the surface 2-3 times I stop the lathe.
I sand any spots that standout with the lamp the off trying nit to dig a hole.
I love sentences like that -- good mental gymnastics.;) Have only tried twice to touch up a spot with the power sander -- unsuccessfully -- bad news. Went to hand-sanding with the grain.

If In had a good day with the gouge there won't be any trouble spots...

There will be a loud announcement with party invites when that day comes in my shop!

I can't answer your question directly. I quit power sanding with a rotating disk a long time ago and have forgotten the finer points.

For future consideration: At the TAW symposium Rudy Lopez described a Grex air-operated random orbital sander. I bought one and I like it a lot. It is a lot smaller and lighter weight than my Milwaukee angle drill, but does of course need a good air supply near the lathe. It is easy to sand at a very slow orbital speed, very gently if desired with fine paper, or wide open if needed. It comes with a 2" velcro pad and I got the 1" pad attachment and extension shafts as well.

Since the disk is not spinning the direction of rotation doesn't matter much if you sand with the bowl turning. Not much chance of the edge of the disk taking off too much either. So far I've used it successfully on mostly flat figured maple and some nasty hickory.

Ken Rizza at Woodturners Wonders told me today he will soon offer an inexpensive palm sander for turners. I should have one in a few weeks and I'll post my impressions.

JKJ

Look forward to your impressions on the palm sander. Love the idea of an ROS that we could use, though I don't have a suitable compressor right now -- would prefer to have it and my dust collector outside the wall. Let us know when you get Ken's sander!

Oh no, another video that I need to update since I have learned a lot from when I first made it...

Odie, those arm rests are huge in reducing fatigue. I made a 2 section articulated arm using my inside Oneway bowl rest, a section of base ball bat blank for a knuckle, and some padded plywood for the second arm. One of the things about it I like best is that the pad totally supports the sander weight, so hold the drill on the arm rest and it is easy to spin/rotate the bowl with the other hand. This makes it a lot easier to see the abrasives cut and where trouble spots are.

Abrasives are a cutting tool. Of course they need to be sharp to cut. With Vince's blue discs, I use the 3 inch discs for anything I can fit them into as a 3 inch disc has more than twice the surface area of a 2 inch disc. I generally get at least one big bowl per set of discs before they go dull. They can feel dull to the touch, but if the dust is still flying, I keep cutting. Besides being sharp, to get the best cutting action, you need traction, and Vince started me down this path. You need slow bowl and drill speeds. Think of a dragster. They burn off their tires which generates a lot of smoke and heat, but they go no where, and if they spin out at the start they lose. Too fast of a speed on the pads throws off a lot of dust, but it doesn't cut as well as slower speeds, and if you put any pressure at all on it, you will heat check the wood. Oh yea, the drills burn out quicker too. I had the converter on my Beauty set to go down to almost zero before it stops, probably in the 15 to 20 rpm range. If it is any faster, I can't keep the abrasive on a spinning warped bowl. Drill never goes over about half speed which is around 600 rpm and slower for the polishing grits (above 320). If you are hand sanding and your hand is getting hot, you are using too much pressure, and/or spinning too fast. If you pad the abrasives so you don't feel the heat, then you are still going too hard and fast. Slow down, it cuts faster. The weight of the drill is more pressure than you need, which is another advantage of the arm rests, they take the weight off of your arms and back, and off the wood.

I don't like 80 grit, but some times it is a necessity. The bad thing about it is that the 80 grit scratches can be as difficult to remove as the tool marks. Some times it is a time saver to start at 80 just so you don't spend 2 or 3 times as long at 120 grit. My green turned bowls always seem to need a coarser starting grit than my dry turned bowls, and yes, I do a few of them. If I start at 80, my next step is 100, then 120, 180, 220, 320, and 400. It does help high light scratches from the previous grit if you change the part of the pad that you are using. Most of the time for me, that means on the outside of the bowl using the top of the pad with drill angled out, then using the bottom of the pad with the drill angled in, so the arcs vary from ( to ) except up and down, not sideways like this. Some times I can do the side ways one as well, but they tend to pull the drill up and down which is harder to control for me than up and down which pulls from side to side, hope that makes sense. I used to go a couple of grits and then hand sand with the spin, but can't do that with warped bowls...

I never blow pieces off. It sends more dust out into the shop. Just wiping them down with my hands is fine. I have never felt grit pieces from any abrasives stuck in the wood. In some closed forms, some can hand out inside, but they wipe out easily. I do wipe them down with my hands as well to force dust down into remaining scratches, which high lights them.

I prefer full spectrum 'therapy' type lamps, Blue Max lights by name, a 1500 watt floor lamp with adjustable brightness. Ott lamps are similar, and known to all the sewers, but not as bright. I have tried some of the LED lights and they work, but most are more spot lights, and not broad beam lights. I also think they need to work on their spectrum. Too white just doesn't do it. We have all taken a piece outside into direct sun light to inspect after we think it is 'finished' and get shocked, heavy sigh and maybe a few bad word, and then back inside to go back a couple of grits. Light spectrum is every bit as important as brightness.

Prescription glasses if your eyes are getting fuzzy, not the cheap reading glasses from the store. Huge difference in what you can see.

robo hippy

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
... I prefer full spectrum 'therapy' type lamps, Blue Max lights by name, a 1500 watt floor lamp with adjustable brightness.....

1500 watts? That's a lot of light. And, I thought my shop was bright with sixteen 40" fluorescent tubes in my shop and the total power used is 544 watts. :rolleyes:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Oops, out of luck there, but can get down to 400 rpm with the Comet. So far so good. Question: What the best approach near the center? Have yet to have the stream stop, so haven't been over-sanding.:rolleyes: I love sentences like that -- good mental gymnastics.;) Have only tried twice to touch up a spot with the power sander -- unsuccessfully -- bad news. Went to hand-sanding with the grain. There will be a loud announcement with party invites when that day comes in my shop!

500 rpm will work on a mini. Remember to use the low speed belts since low speed is higher on higher speed belts I always forget this.
Center I go just last center. When I stop the lathe i sand the center put the long grain parallel to the floor sand with the top edge of the discus and and down
Rotate the bowl 180 up and down. Keep the disc moving.

Apple keeps helping confuse people......

... Love the idea of an ROS that we could use, though I don't have a suitable compressor right now -- would prefer to have it and my dust collector outside the wall.

I very much agree. I built a 4x12 "closet" in my new shop with insulated double steel doors leading away from the shop (into my maintenance bay area.) This houses my 5 hp cyclone DC and the 5 hp air compressor, both of which are loud. The walls are 7" with staggered studs interwound with insulation and paneled with 1" of wood. A insulated, baffled overhead air return equalizes pressure from the DC.

I am SO glad I did this! A naked DC would wake the dead and the compressor is just plain obnoxious. With either running now I can carry on normal conversation in the shop and even talk on the phone or listen to the radio. Life is good. Except when the political news is on the radio.

If I didn't have the space in the shop for the closet I probably would have built some kind of lean-to shed outside.

JKJ

Nice to know I had the right idea with the 1" pad in the curve. I'm not sure I understand "but not as standard" in the first blue sentence above. Are you referring to running the lathe super-slow? My Jet bottoms out at 550, the Comet at 400. Re: sanding with the edge -- that was emphasized to me by my prime mentor, and it seems to work. The pads/interface pads are soft on the edge (under the edge of the round paper), and I'm very careful. If I get too much of the pad, it seems to not be a good thing.

Re: "reverse" -- on the Jet, I only have the option of changing direction on the sander itself. The Comet (bless its little heart:cool:), the lathe goes either way.

I'm pretty liberal changing the paper -- the axiom "...as if someone else pays for it" is OK with me. The discs I have seem high quality, and the in-betweens I do with Abranet are, of course, just great. Geez, I love that stuff!

Sorry I did not elaborate. The standard way to sand should be with the lathe off, but if on at 300 or below. As to the edge it is most aggressive because it is moving faster and when you have a sharper curve it will easily dig in and give you a design opportunity.

...As to the edge it is most aggressive because it is moving faster and when you have a sharper curve it will easily dig in and give you a design opportunity.

I didn't see if anyone mentioned using the 2" sanding disks with the scalloped rim that looks a bit like flower petals. The petals hang over the 2" rim and make a soft edge that minimizes digging. When I power sanded the inside of bowls those were my favorite disks.

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/kd50054/

JKJ

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Look forward to your impressions on the palm sander. Love the idea of an ROS that we could use, though I don't have a suitable compressor right now -- would prefer to have it and my dust collector outside the wall. Let us know when you get Ken's sander!

i have a big compressor, but didn't like the Grex. It is too easy to stall. Push too hard and it stopped.
I use an old Sioux right angle sander that I have had rebuilt and a generic that I got from pep boys

i have a big compressor, but didn't like the Grex. It is too easy to stall. Push too hard and it stopped.
I use an old Sioux right angle sander that I have had rebuilt and a generic that I got from pep boys

Yikes, I have not stalled mine. Maybe I tend to sand with a lighter touch but I did use it pretty aggressively a few days ago on some hard-as-rock hickory. What pressure you you supply? I think I've got my regulator set to 90 psi.

Do you still have it? Interested in parting with it?

JKJ

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef

Steve,

I also found that the Grex stalled pretty easily. I was only using it on the higher grits and with not much pressure at all. I found this Astro 321 on Amazon:

http://smile.amazon.com/Astro-321-V...&refRID=94GWY1MWS1XT052JT48N&ref_=pd_ybh_a_21

It's about the same cost as the Grex but with very little info and only 2 reviews. I'm sitting on the fence at the moment. Anyone out there have any information on this little ROS?

Sorry I did not elaborate. The standard way to sand should be with the lathe off, but if on at 300 or below. As to the edge it is most aggressive because it is moving faster and when you have a sharper curve it will easily dig in and give you a design opportunity.

I just seem to do much better with the lathe running (but I keep it slow). Have had no problems so far digging in with an edge, and I've used the 1" disc when going through a sharper curve. Tonight, I was sanding a vase-shaped bowl, "outflowing form" -- started with hand-held Abranet at 100 grit because of a tool mark I needed to get out. Once that was accomplished, I went to power sanding 1" and was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked in such a small bowl (4.5" top, 1.75" bottom, 1.75"H+tenon). Went back to hand-sanding at 180 through 600.

You can fit a 3 inch disc, especially the radius edged ones from Vince into a tight curve by skewing the disc rather than having it square to the curve. I don't like having to change out mandrills.

robo hippy

I didn't see if anyone mentioned using the 2" sanding disks with the scalloped rim that looks a bit like flower petals. The petals hang over the 2" rim and make a soft edge that minimizes digging. When I power sanded the inside of bowls those were my favorite disks.

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/kd50054/

JKJ

They're almost twice as expensive as the green flex discs I buy (2-3/8" for 2" pad). So far, I've had no problem with the green discs digging -- they curve gently with the "innerface" pad that's in Vince's starter kits.

You can fit a 3 inch disc, especially the radius edged ones from Vince into a tight curve by skewing the disc rather than having it square to the curve. I don't like having to change out mandrills.

robo hippy

I could make a joke about womandrills, but I won't.:D Re: skewing the disc, I think I discovered that the other night -- but wasn't sure if I was just getting away with something via beginner's luck. Sounds like it's a real technique. No hurry here, though, so I don't mind too much changing mandrels.:)

sanding different directions with power.

If you sand on the inside of the bowl going from center to rim ( on the left side) the wood is coming down onto the sander pad. If you sweep the drill from the center towards the right side of the rim, (without reversing the lathe direction_), the wood is coming up into the sander. Is this the same as reversing the the lathe direction for sanding purposes?? (sanding just on the left side of the bow)l,. I don't sand with lathe in reverse now, as long as the bowl is big enuf.
My sanding has improved. I usually power sand to 400. Thank you Odie (and Lyle Jamieson) for harping on making the best possible surface with the gouge before sanding Gretch

Gretch,
I have pondered this a lot, along with 'does power sanding need to go in reverse to pull up the fibers that lay down'. I do use that method both inside and outside to get a different scratch pattern to tell if I have removed all of the scratches from the previous grit. I think it does the same thing, though with the circular patterns of the discs compared to the liner patterns of hand sanding, reversing the bowl is not necessary.

robo hippy

If you sand on the inside of the bowl going from center to rim ( on the left side) the wood is coming down onto the sander pad. If you sweep the drill from the center towards the right side of the rim, (without reversing the lathe direction_), the wood is coming up into the sander. Is this the same as reversing the the lathe direction for sanding purposes?? (sanding just on the left side of the bow)l,. I don't sand with lathe in reverse now, as long as the bowl is big enuf.
My sanding has improved. I usually power sand to 400. Thank you Odie (and Lyle Jamieson) for harping on making the best possible surface with the gouge before sanding Gretch

Have not tried that method with reverse in mind. I do use reverse sanding on some pieces. When I can feel the piece and it feels like whiskers then I will use reverse sanding. I will have to try sanding on the right side of the bowl and see if that does the same thing.

This recent bowl got me to pull out the virtually unused power sander, along with my starter kit from Vince. The only instruction I've had on using one is to use the edge to sand, and keep it moving. Things went pretty OK with the Madrona bowl, but not perfect, and there were areas of the bowl where it seemed touch-and-go keeping a steady, smooth contact. Any details on what direction to move the sander (using the clock-face references, for instance), especially if changing the spin on the sander from forward to reverse, what to do in a curve, that kind of thing. I used 2" for most of it, but on the coarser grits, I used 1" in the curve below the rim.

One thing I noticed is that Vince's kit skips from 80 to 120 (no 100), and from 120 to 180 (no 150). That didn't work so well, I filled in with Abranet H&L.

You should send your query to Vince, he's very helpful and full of good advice.

Website
www.revolvingarts.ca
I do fairly large peices and winged bowls, all from green. So power sanding is often the only time efficient solution.

For heavy sanding i use a car polisher. They have gearing to lower the rpms and provide torque, plus will run for a long time without overheating. For really big stuff, i have a 7" disc, but also a 4". Both have about 1" of heavy felt glued onto the hard disc and then velco to attach the sandpaper disc. The felt allows flexibility so the edge doesnt dig in. It lets you use more of the surface.

The polisher is heavy, so holding it for a while is a challenge. My solution so far is an adjustable bungy cord from the ceiling with enough tension to take up the weight, but still allow movement.

Discs can be expensive so i learned from a local turner, how to make my own.
Buy sheet of velco backed paper. Use a hole saw (of desired size) on a drill press. And drill out a stack od paper holes at the same time (from the back). Ypu end up with a hole in the middle, but who cares? I haven't found a 7" hole saw yet though...

Its nice to have the lathe run ultra slow. With a VFD, i can get the rpms down to about 30 now. Previously i had used a separate slow speed motor, with a belt to my handwheel. It worked,but was a pain to set up each time.

I do find that DC is critical because the sander will create an incredible amount of dust.

One solution i tried is a portable rig, of an axle, the chuck and some very primitive bearings, all mounted to a platform that i could roll outside. Ideally on a nice wind day...thats much more fun!
(Of course my shop is in the country)

Last edited:
Website
www.jjstephen.com
Its nice to have the lathe run ultra slow. With a VFD, i can get the rpms down to about 30 now. Previously i had used a separate slow speed motor, with a belt to my handwheel. It worked,but was a pain to set up each time.

I do find that DC is critical because the sander will creat an incredible amount of dust.

I agree on both counts. I almost always sand as slow as my 3520B will go, which is right around 50rpm. I also go over the piece with each grit slowly turning the piece by hand before moving on to the next grit. I also almost always start sanding at 80 grit whether it really needs it or not. I also put a governor on the trigger of my angle drill to keep it from going full speed. I carefully examine the entire sanded surface after blowing the dust off with my eyes (under good light) and my fingers before moving on.

I think a very common area of frustration with people new to power sanding is that they are sanding with the piece spinning too fast. Wood moves. Even kiln dried wood can and does often move. Someone will crank the speed up and an imperfection or a spot where the wood moved causes the sanding disk to jump or skip a spot and the disc jumps over that spot and digs in even more where it lands, so rather than fixing the problem area, they make it worse. If they would just slow the lathe down, or better yet, stop it entirely and fix the spot with light sweeps, all would be fine.

A DC hood right next to the piece being sanded gets the overwhelming majority of the dust. I don't sand without the hood sucking and a mask on.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
.....I think a very common area of frustration with people new to power sanding is that they are sanding with the piece spinning too fast. Wood moves. Even kiln dried wood can and does often move. Someone will crank the speed up and an imperfection or a spot where the wood moved causes the sanding disk to jump or skip a spot and the disc jumps over that spot and digs in even more where it lands, so rather than fixing the problem area, they make it worse. If they would just slow the lathe down, or better yet, stop it entirely and fix the spot with light sweeps, all would be fine. ....

If you use a soft backing pad, you don't have this problem. It will conform to the surface and take up slight irregularities in the form

Website
www.jjstephen.com
If you use a soft backing pad, you don't have this problem. It will conform to the surface and take up slight irregularities in the form

I would say that a soft backing pad somewhat mitigates this problem, yes, but only to the extent that the turner is still keeping their speed and pressure down at a reasonable level. Keep in mind also (as I recall) that vendors like Vince/Wood and Wonders actually don't recommend even using a soft pad until you get to the finer grits.

I like the merit disks because they don't heat as much as soft backs. See Packards for them. I have the piece at final rpm - 680 with the 3000, and the disk - usually a 2" - at 1725, the rpm of the motor powering my flex shaft. I place the handle on my rest so I don't have to press and heat, and generally sand from 10-12 o'clock though occasionally as early as 8. With the differential diameters and rpm, the sanding is always a partial arc. http://vid35.photobucket.com/albums/d160/GoodOnesGone/150Sand-1.mp4 I use the 150 and 240. sanding with the grain in a straight line at 320 lathe off. I sand almost center disk on the convex surface, reserving the edge for the concave, where I am obliged by geometry.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I would say that a soft backing pad somewhat mitigates this problem, yes, but only to the extent that the turner is still keeping their speed and pressure down at a reasonable level. Keep in mind also (as I recall) that vendors like Vince/Wood and Wonders actually don't recommend even using a soft pad until you get to the finer grits.

Actually, if you are working on warped or natural edge (or square), I highly recommend using a softer interface pad with all grits. You need to keep the pressure down and the speed lower to eliminate heat build up

Actually, if you are working on warped or natural edge (or square), I highly recommend using a softer interface pad with all grits. You need to keep the pressure down and the speed lower to eliminate heat build up
I wonder if Vince recommendation about not using soft pads with coarse grits relates to a shorter life of the pads when used with coarse grits. As long as we're willing to accept that possibility, shouldn't be a problem.

Both bowls I did I the last couple weeks were sanding disasters, had to resort to hand-sanding, and they're still not great. There are a couple people in the club I need to spend some time with, evidently.:oops:

I like and use Vinces disks, I've tried the green, but still prefer the blue, I think one of the reasons for not using soft interface pads on the courser disks has to do with the stiffness of the courser disks. They wouldn't conform like the 320 on up grits. Years ago I experimented/adopted some of MM's methods (1725 motor + flex shaft) and noted that at lower grits I could sand at higher speeds without heating the surface of the wood. A light touch and support is in order. As my "off the tool" surface has improved, I no longer have to start sanding at 36 grit:D...
cc

Back