• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Thinking about buying a drill chuck

I'm Thinking about buying a drill chuck for my tail stock so i can use a fosner bit to drill vases, ornaments and so on. The thing is I don't have a 4 jaw chuck, I glue all my work on. So my question is will this put too much pressure on the glued work piece or should I be ok. I have only been turning about a year and am slowly acquiring the tools and supplies i need. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
If you have a glue joint that holds wood for turning it should hold for drilling.
Stress will obviously increase with larger diameter and dull bits.

Glue joints I use for Engrain turnings are a small tenon glued into a block on a faceplate.
To put next piece on I face off the glue block drill out the hole for the tenon and glue the new piece in.
So a Jacobs chuck comes in handy or glueing Engrain blanks.

One note: many Jacobs chucks tend loose the taper lock.
I hold the chuck when backing it out

I use twist drills held in a vice grip. This works well up to 1/2" diameter
Need to make a small center hole with a gouge.

I also use a 1" twist drill with a #2 morse directly the tailstock.

Al

Last edited:
For use around a wood lathe, a keyless chuck is a good choice. With a keyless chuck, no looking for the key in the shavings is a big plus.

For use around a wood lathe, a keyless chuck is a good choice. With a keyless chuck, no looking for the key in the shavings is a big plus.

Mine hangs on the same magnet as my knockout bar, always at hand. What I hate is the key for my sanding chuck is a size smaller. :mad:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
ditto!!
I bought a keyless chuck at the Florida symposium a few years ago from Mike Hare at VM Woodworking vmwoodworking1982@yahoo.com
IMHO is the best chuck key or no key available. It actually tightens up a bit when you start drilling and is still easy to open.
Not sure of the current price. I paid about $40 including a "mike's ONEWAY tax" - the extra cost of the #3 M taper.
I keep trying to convince myself that I need one with a #2 for demos.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Where did you get such a thing? I could use something like that.

Thanks.

I bought mine from wholesale tools in Tampa. The store closed last year but the have a web site.
Wttool.com

Most on line tool companies will have them

1" is the largest I have found in #2 M taper about $13 from Wholesale tools.

Larger ones are available with #3 M tapers that fit the ONEWAY.

They do come in handy
Al

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
John,
Wholesale tools may have one. It does not specifically say Morse taper.
I would suggest you call them before ordering to be sure it's a morse taper.

0101-0370 1" 10-3/4" 2 taper* In Stock $13.80

I may have this very same bit but can't be sure.
Thanks to Jim Mullens it is real sharp.

Al

Last edited:
I use Colt forstner bits with their Rotostop MT2 adapter on both the lathe and my drill press. My chuck gets very little use these days.

Ross

Back