1. Join the Go-To Source for Woodturners!

Please read the new sticky announcement here for full details.

Dismiss Notice

Threaded Drive Center?

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by saepperson, Nov 24, 2004.

1. saepperson

saepperson

I have an AMT lathe which I got used. Since I am still learning turning, it works fine for me. Problem is, there is no morse taper in the head stock (and beleive me, I've looked). The spindle threading is 3/4" x 16 tpi, so I haven't had trouble finding chucks. But I haven't found any pronged drive centers that are threaded. I have one that came with it, but would like a back-up. Does anybody have any suggestions? thanks

2. C Edward Moore

C Edward Moore

Home Page:
    You implied that you have a chuck for your lathe. If that chuck is made by Oneway, then consider a Oneway chuck spur.

Or, consider the quick change centers from Best Wood Tools. See www.Bestwoodtools.com

Both companies make excellent, well-machined products.

3. Rick Prevett

Rick Prevett

Home Page:
    Nova too

There is also one available for the Nova chucks. It's a 4 pronged Spur Drive.

rick

4. akransom

akransom

Home Page:
    Spur drive

On my site www.turningaround.org in the tips section there is the solution for your problem. If you can't find a welder seld me 2 nuts appropiate sive and $5 for shipping and I will make you 2,

5. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Threaded spurs are around, I believe saw them in the recent PSI catalog, but if you have a name brand chuck you are better off getting a spur insert for it as they are available for most chucks. I will say that threaded spurs can be a bear to remove some times.