• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Threading jig.

I've learned a lot from the generous folks on this forum and would like to reciprocate........

I have recently been working on threaded lids for turned boxes and have seen several inquiries on how to make threads in wood. The commercially available devices are quite expensive. An alternative solution can be made quite inexpensivley. I have posted pictures on one possible solution here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/dmshopshots/HomeMadeThreadingJigForJet1642Lathe#

Note: I have a 16" swing lathe and the Bitmore vise worked well, however the basic design can be easily adapted to a smaller lathe by using a smaller 2-axis slide/vise.

Here's one that I found a couple years ago: http://homepage3.nifty.com/manasan/english/diy/turning/turn-1.htm

Scroll down about 1/3 of the page to Aug. 01/2004.

Another that I have in arrested development, uses mating threaded rod to hold the chuck, with two hex nuts separated by a valve compression spring to eliminate backlash. The hex nuts are simply clamped into the jaws of a cross-slide vise. I'd be satisfied with mating tpi in the wood, so no need for exotic thread adapters, which could be prone to runout. The nuts and spring could work there too, though. The hard part is remembering whether the hex flats belong on the bed of the vise or the jaws, as it affects the vertical offset; I'm not sure which is better.

The cutter you're using may be hard to find, or quite expensive. A less expensive 60-degree dovetail cutter should work, with the threaded rod at 30 degrees off-axis from the lathe.

Joe, is that your lathe in the pictures? It's got a different brand on it but it's identical to the "craftsman" monorail I used to use (still have laying in my shop). if so, can I get you to post a picture of the components underneath the toolrest that hold the toolrest tight to the rail? Mine got dismantled years ago and something is missing. I had to wedge shims under the toolrest. I got tired of riveting the bar under neath the monrail back on, the rivets kept busting from vibration when turning large blanks. Thanks

Not my lathe, Jake. It's in Japan, and a Japanese lathe.

I'm not familiar with tube-bed lathes, but there might be information at Old Woodworking Machines ( http://www.owwm.com/ ) to see what's missing from yours. It might be best to assign that lathe to only spindle work, with the workpiece more balanced from the outset. Or, convert it to a buffing station or a DIY drum sander, both of which can be un-converted back to a lathe.

Our WT club might have a tube-bed lathe. I'll try to remember to take a picture of it next Tuesday ( Dec 1).

I'd love to set it up for one of those applications especially since I currently have my buffer mounted on the end of my lathe bed, but my shop is just jam packed with tools and not sure I have the room unless I get really creative or get rid of some tools. Just occurred to me while typing this that the first thing I bought (10" Radial Arm Saw) I barely ever use - I prefer the 10" Table Saw for just about all cuts. I also got a 8" Table Saw that theoretically could go and have a 10" band saw that could go since I recently picked up a 12" band saw. I just hate to part with tools... (other stations: 10" planer, 6" jointer, Drill press, Router table, Sander, Grinder). That's alot in a 16X22 space :eek:

Back