• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tips on Crack repair

For guys turning less-than-perfect logs:
Repairing cracks: Dave Schweitzer of D-Way tools turned me on to Aero Marine 300. It's a lower viscosity than the System-3 or WEST. I mix all epoxy with a jewelers scale - put 5-grams resin and 2.2-grams in a cup with a bit of colorant and your set. For fine cracks, I'll draw it into a small hypodermic needle syringe, then attach the needle, and shoot into the cracks. I can shoot the 300 with a #22 which is really fine - you can buy at any drugstore or at a feedstore. Easy to clean by drawing/shooting acetone a few times. One larger cracks, mix the 300 with colloidal silica, color as needed, and you're set. The jewelers scale will pay for itself quickly - how anyone can successfully mix 7.2-grams without a scale is beyond me - that's about 1/4" in a little mouthwash cup.
How do you apply epoxy into the inside of a hollow-form? Simple: Go to your local archery store, archery range or general sporting goods store. Buy an aluminum arrow. They come in all sizes: I found that a 1913 (19/64" dia, .013 wall thickness) is perfect to hold a flux brush. If a bit too large, one wrap of tape will secure.
Of course the above assumes the log is rough turned and then dried for several months - you can't fix cracks or problems in wet wood.
Never clean your hands with a solvent - keep a container of Fast Orange nearby - cleaning with acetone or any solvent allows the bad stuff an accelerated entry into your bloodstream.
John

Back