• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tool Review (Ci1 Easyrougher)

Website
www.flyingcurls.com
I was fortunate enough to attend the TAW Symposium in Nashville but this is not about the symposium it’s about tools. John Jordan was there, did not buy his. Already use his bars. Doug Thompson was there. Great tools but did not come home with any.

What I did was to come home with the Ci1 Easyrougher from www.easywoodtools.com. Craig, the owner is a first rate guy and great to work with. I have become skeptical of tools lately as there seems to be so many new things hitting the market. I had watched his video on you-tube before but I was still skeptical. Well, I got home and have had a chance to use it. One of the most stressful things for me to do is to rough turn out of round blanks. It just beats this old body plus it takes forever. Well I was totally amazed with this tool. You can rough turn a blank in a matter of minutes without getting beat up. Ribbons just fly without vibration or chatter or catches. It leaves a great finish as well. It works equally as well on dry wood. I can already see other uses for it. Bottom line if you want to by a tool that actually works, get this one.

I promised the LOML I would cut back on tool purchases. Looks like I lied.;)

I love my Ci1 Easyrougher. While I use it for almost anything, I find it great for getting to the "bowl inside the block of wood" very quickly.

Craig and his wife are first class folks and he puts of lot of himself into his effort.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Questions:

Is the carbide insert of the "EasyRougher" presented to the wood in any different fashion than a standard scraper could?

If not, then wouldn't a sharp scraper do what the EasyRougher does?

OOC

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Odie A gouge layed flat with the flute up also does the same thing. However I've seen the C1 work and without being able to compare my gouge cut, My big hollowing tool that is a 3/4" bar with 3/8" hss cutter, and the C1 side by side I can't really tell you the difference. Of course I do have to sharpen my gouge and my boring bar tool. You would not have to sharpen the C1.
so for me the jury is still out on this tool but I do think it does the job it was designed to do and does it quite well.

R

Ron Sardo

I have the Ci1 Easyrougher and it is a great tool for hogging out material very quickly.

Finish isn't usually brilliant, but it is called a rougher.

I've seen a guy mount the tip such that the steel mount has a bevel which he rubs and claims a better finish for. Another variation is a round bar with the tip point forward and the side used in shear sraper mode.

Main virtue of the thing IMO is that it keeps it's edge much longer than HSS and so is good for hard or abrasive woods.

R

Ron Sardo

It's not a finishing tool and the finish cut is okay, about as good as a scraper.

Depending on the wood I can get a fairly nice finish with it. An example is cutting back the outside of a bowl.
  1. From the tailstock end with a faceplate mounted blank, I cut into the sides with "overlapping" cuts, using about 1/4 to 1/3 of the cutter.
  2. I then move 45 degrees toward the headstock and shave the ridges left from the end cuts.
  3. By passing the tool in a sweeping manner, I get a finish that starts with 220 grit sandpaper.

odie

TOTW Team
Odie A gouge layed flat with the flute up also does the same thing. However I've seen the C1 work and without being able to compare my gouge cut, My big hollowing tool that is a 3/4" bar with 3/8" hss cutter, and the C1 side by side I can't really tell you the difference. Of course I do have to sharpen my gouge and my boring bar tool. You would not have to sharpen the C1.
so for me the jury is still out on this tool but I do think it does the job it was designed to do and does it quite well.

Hiya John.......

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing......jury still out! I guess the only way to find out for sure is have one in my hands, and I don't think I want to spend north of a hundred bucks to find out! Besides, I don't recall ever feeling the gouges and scrapers I use for roughing duty being inadequate for this purpose.

I guess you're right that a gouge shoved straight in would also do the same sort of roughing duty that a scraper would do. ;) The main thing I'm wondering about is whether, or not, the EasyRougher can do anything that other more conventional tools cannot......?????

(Taking a time-out......I'm watching the video demonstration again.)

OK, I think I'm understanding this a little better now.......the EasyRougher IS a scraper! It's the same as a square point scraper that is sharpened on three sides. In the video, it looks like exterior cuts are all done with the sides of the cutter.....not the tip. Cuts done from left to right are done with the cutting edge that faces right, and vice-versa. I would think that a standard heavy duty square point scraper could do that just as easily, if it's sharpened on the sides as well.......don't you think? There might be an exception to my theory, if a scraper is used that lacks bulk, or rigidity, it might not be able to take such a big bite as that shown in the EasyRougher demonstration video.......but, I'm assuming most of the turners that frequent this site have a few of the thick, and/or wide heavy duty scrapers.......not just those little delicate ones that are supplied with the tool kits! :D

For the bowl interior cuts, I just don't see where the EasyRougher can do any better, or faster a job than a gouge can do......anyone disagree with that?

As with any of these hi-bred carbide tools, the one advantage they seem to possess over traditional tools, is they don't need to be sharpened as much.....or, not at all......just reach right down deep into your pocket ,grab yer wallet.....and replace the darn things! :) Now, I don't know about you, but I'm beginning to form an opinion about carbide lathe tools......I just don't see where many of them can do ANYTHING a conventional tool can't do when the latter is put into the hands of someone who KNOWS how to sharpen them! Considering that, I tend to think they might be great beginner's tools......until the turner learns how to produce a sharp cutting edge on the more traditional tools. (I do feel the recessed shape, or "cupped top" of the Hunter round carbide inserts do have a distinct advantage.......but, only for a few specific limited applications. For the majority of cutting needs, conventional tools do just as well.)

Everything in my post is strictly theory, since I don't have, nor have I ever tried an EasyRougher. Feel free to contribute, if you feel I'm wrong, shortsighted, or just not seeing the "total picture".

Note to Steve Worchester: That's what I think, too......moot point!.....not intended to give a finish cut......strictly a roughing tool.....Although, if one were to tip the cutting edge up and angled some, I would think a decent shear-scraping cut could be done with it.

otis of cologne

Last edited:
Try it, you'll like it!

Odie you just have to try this tool to believe what it can do. I've had one almost a year now and it's the first tool I pick-up for any kind of work. Naturally, it works faster on green wood but it's also faster on dry wood when compared with the "hogging out" ability of a gouge. You're right, you can angle it to get a shear scrape that is sometimes comparable to a skew on most woods. Also, it's sharpened on four sides so you've got 4 surfaces to go through before replacing.

So go ahead and spend the money and try it! You'll be stimulating the economy and your government will be proud of you. It might put you in line for a bailout too since everybody else is getting one. ......Ron

Website
www.flyingcurls.com
I rarely discuss tools. It's kind of like asking what lathe you like best. The answer is almost always "the one I own". I am not a tool maker. All I know is whether they work or not. I can't tell you why they do. Why is a Thompson gouge better than a PM ? Beats me. All I can do is try one and see if it is. A Thompson gouge will be my next tool. But honestly I am still a little skeptical. I can say, without reservation, that the Ci1 Roughing tool is the easiest, quickest and most effortless roughing tool I have ever used.

odie

TOTW Team
Odie you just have to try this tool to believe what it can do. I've had one almost a year now and it's the first tool I pick-up for any kind of work. Naturally, it works faster on green wood but it's also faster on dry wood when compared with the "hogging out" ability of a gouge. You're right, you can angle it to get a shear scrape that is sometimes comparable to a skew on most woods. Also, it's sharpened on four sides so you've got 4 surfaces to go through before replacing.

So go ahead and spend the money and try it! You'll be stimulating the economy and your government will be proud of you. It might put you in line for a bailout too since everybody else is getting one. ......Ron

Great, Ron......

Please tell us what the EasyRougher can do that other tools cannot.

You sound really convinced, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that would need to visualize some specific advantages, before I spend the money......

I'd rather stimulate the economy by getting something that will do something I can't do now! Heh,heh,heh! :D

OOC

odie

TOTW Team
I rarely discuss tools. It's kind of like asking what lathe you like best. The answer is almost always "the one I own". I am not a tool maker. All I know is whether they work or not. I can't tell you why they do. Why is a Thompson gouge better than a PM ? Beats me. All I can do is try one and see if it is. A Thompson gouge will be my next tool. But honestly I am still a little skeptical. I can say, without reservation, that the Ci1 Roughing tool is the easiest, quickest and most effortless roughing tool I have ever used.

Keith......

(Sorry......we posted at the same time!)

Can you explain how an edge which is just as sharp, in a tool with as much heft and rigidity, that is presented to the wood in the same physical way.......won't cut as easy as the EasyRougher?

Pardon me, I don't mean to be such an obstacle to those who really like this tool......I'm just trying to get an idea of why it's "just" better.......

Maybe it's like your example of which lathe is best........because it's the one you own.........?

otis of cologne

KEW

I think the behavior of a bedan cutting a tenon is a reasonable representation of how this tool works. The difference is that the bedan would dull much quicker.
The place where a Ci1 would definitely shine is on burls where there is likely to be dulling grit in some of the pockets in the wood and the random directions of the grain prevent a clean finish from standard cutting tools since there is no proper uphill or downhill.

Website
www.flyingcurls.com
Odie, can I explain it ? Honestly no. I can tell you that I used it to rough the Mesquite piece I recently posted in the gallery. That piece was a crotch and oval shaped, twisted, with the bark in tact. I know with my bowl gouge it would have been time consuming with a lot of "beating". With the Ci1 rougher it was effortless and quick. Just plunged it in. I understand your skeptisium. I am the same way. I have a rack full of tools that were the end all and there they set collecting dust.

odie

TOTW Team
I think the behavior of a bedan cutting a tenon is a reasonable representation of how this tool works. The difference is that the bedan would dull much quicker.
The place where a Ci1 would definitely shine is on burls where there is likely to be dulling grit in some of the pockets in the wood and the random directions of the grain prevent a clean finish from standard cutting tools since there is no proper uphill or downhill.

Now that, makes some sense KEW.....

I can definitely see the advantage to the EasyRougher for situations where pockets of dirt, sand, or whatever, will instantly dull a conventional tool.

I wouldn't think the burl grain would make that much difference in a roughing cut.......but, I suppose if there was an abnormally high degree of deep "tear out", it would be a distinct possibility.

Are you using the Ci1 for finish cuts? Here again, I'm having a hard time understanding why burl, or any other conditions of grain variation would make an EasyRougher a candidate for a better quality of cut, over any conventional kind of tool. Seems to me that sharpness, heft, and rigidity are the only conditions that might effect that.....that is, in the hands of the same person.

OOC

odie

TOTW Team
Odie, can I explain it ? Honestly no. I can tell you that I used it to rough the Mesquite piece I recently posted in the gallery. That piece was a crotch and oval shaped, twisted, with the bark in tact. I know with my bowl gouge it would have been time consuming with a lot of "beating". With the Ci1 rougher it was effortless and quick. Just plunged it in. I understand your skeptisium. I am the same way. I have a rack full of tools that were the end all and there they set collecting dust.

Keith......

Ha, ha!.....yep, I've got a few of those "dust collectors" too!

Thanks for your subsequent post.

I'm not saying I can't be convinced to try one out......but, at this point, it will take more than what has transpired within this thread before I "pull the trigger" on one.

I can remember going through this on the Hunter thread. It took quite a lot to convince me to try one. It turned out to be not as great for me as some others thought it was for them......but, the Hunter is one tool that does help me out from time to time. Like I said previously, the Hunter does have some specific advantages for limited application...... This, from my very skeptical, prejudiced, and sometimes, illogical way of looking at things, Mr. Spock! :D Glad I have it, but there is some disappointment with it's meeting my preconceived expectations.

otis of cologne

Last edited:

KEW

For the burl, I am talking both roughing and finish cuts.
I really think the tool is very close to a bedan in many ways, but I think it is more attractive because it's weight and length allow one to be more aggressive without any hiccups!
For roughing spindle work, someone well practiced with an Spindle Roughing Gouge can remove material quicker, but for those of us who mostly do bowls and the occasional spindle, this tool outperform the SRG because it requires virtually no practice or skill to use efficiently.

KEW

Are you using the Ci1 for finish cuts? Here again, I'm having a hard time understanding why burl, or any other conditions of grain variation would make an EasyRougher a candidate for a better quality of cut, over any conventional kind of tool.

For normal wood, when I am making finishing cuts, I rely on the consistent grain direction to support a shear scrape with good results. Unfortunately, burls often have grains which are all over the place and to take advantage of grain support in one spot is to be sabotaged by substantial tear-out in another.
That said, I am no expert on turning burls. Others may know methods I haven't yet figured out. However, in my limited experience, for burls I am often better off doing a flat scrape and deal with consistent minor tear-out than to do an angled scrape or an actual cut for the finished surface.

KEW

One more thought. If you have a Stewart tool or equivalent, you could probably figure a way to mount the bit on it and find out how you like it for $20 instead of $100!

Hi Odie,
To augment your post regarding the C1 rougher. You suggest that it's easy, until people find they need to sharpen it, then they replace the tip. Thats the plan?
I ran into a beginner who's first tool was an easy rougher. His work is, well, rough. He bought some other tools, but because he is relying on replacing his tips, he doesn't know how to sharpen. I'm thinking his future is not in turning, as he has a bigger hill to climb now. He has to learn how to properly present a tool, then sharpen it.

I think this tools advertising is effective, but in the long run, will amount to quite a few turners who know nothing but scrape. That is a poor result. I've tried his easy rougher, it's not as good as a roughing gouge, or bowl gouge in skilled, properly trained hands.

odie

TOTW Team
Hi Odie,
To augment your post regarding the C1 rougher. You suggest that it's easy, until people find they need to sharpen it, then they replace the tip. Thats the plan?
I ran into a beginner who's first tool was an easy rougher. His work is, well, rough. He bought some other tools, but because he is relying on replacing his tips, he doesn't know how to sharpen. I'm thinking his future is not in turning, as he has a bigger hill to climb now. He has to learn how to properly present a tool, then sharpen it.

I think this tools advertising is effective, but in the long run, will amount to quite a few turners who know nothing but scrape. That is a poor result. I've tried his easy rougher, it's not as good as a roughing gouge, or bowl gouge in skilled, properly trained hands.

Yeah, I guess so, David........

This must be my past quote that inspired your comment:

As with any of these hi-bred carbide tools, the one advantage they seem to possess over traditional tools, is they don't need to be sharpened as much.....or, not at all......just reach right down deep into your pocket, grab yer wallet.....and replace the darn things! :) Now, I don't know about you, but I'm beginning to form an opinion about carbide lathe tools......I just don't see where many of them can do ANYTHING a conventional tool can't do when the latter is put into the hands of someone who KNOWS how to sharpen them! Considering that, I tend to think they might be great beginner's tools......until the turner learns how to produce a sharp cutting edge on the more traditional tools.

otis of cologne

I think you're absolutely right that some of the new turners do themselves a dis-service, by postponing the inevitable need to learn how to sharpen lathe tools......and I won't use the word "properly" in that statement, because there are just too many ways to sharpen a tool well. One would be foolish to think any one way to sharpen is the best way to do it.

This must be a source of great frustration for a beginner.......because how in the world are they going to decide which of the sharpening methods might work best for them? This internet has got to confuse the issue to a great degree, as well......because, frankly, there is also a great amount of misinformation circulating with regard to just about any subject you'd care to discuss! :eek:......including how to sharpen lathe tools!

I can remember feelings of intimidation and frustration when I first started turning......and began to learn how to sharpen the tools required to carry out the endeavour. I'm not shocked to see that places like Woodcraft offer "sharpening service" on their lathe tools. I'll bet there are a lot of first time turners paying for this sharpening service.....only to discover they can't complete their first project before needing a re-sharpen!......or, using it until it's so dull, their project suffers, and they don't know why!

I guess if the beginners all buy the carbide tipped tools, they might be able to complete a project........and have a basis for deciding if they want to pursue the hobby further.......they'll either buy more carbide inserts.....or learn to sharpen!

otis of cologne

Last edited:
Website
www.billneddow.com
Scraping vs cutting

I think we can all agree the C1 is a scraper -- one that does not need sharpening.

But I prefer to cut the wood, rather than rip it off with a bulldozer blade. I will stick to my Doug Thompson tools. They require a minimum of sharpening -- and when they become dull, a 45 second trip to the grinder fixes the problem rather than a fairly major purchase of a new tip.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I have not tried the tool.
In the video the tool seemed a lot less efficient than a side ground bowl gouge.
It also showed the tool working on already round wood.

I wonder how it behaves on an interrupted cut which is often encountered in roughing.

In fairness, showing how a tool works does not always show it working most efficiently.

My roughing process is two fold removing material fast and developing the curve.
I wonder how to develop a curve with this tool.

happy turning,
Al

Last edited:
I bought the Easy Rougher and it is as easy to use at the video shows. I have been using it for quit a bit of time now for Roughing out bowls and it is easy and fun to use.
If your new to turning this is a very safe tool to use.....I know alot of experienced turners are comfortable with their tools sets but if your new or have a kid that is just starting this tool cuts smoot and easy without the catches etc........
I own 2 now and can turn side or end grain with no problems and very smooth cuts. Yes, it can be used to make shear cuts etc or plunging cuts depending on the wood.
Im no tool expert but the tool does cuts like the video shows you and in a safer manner .............just my opinion......ohhh and the kids using it agree to.............LOL

It seems to me that, in this discussion, most of the people who don't like the Easyrougher Ci1 or are critical of it are the turners who have never used it and the turners who praise it are those who have actually used it. I fail to understand how someone could have so much knowledge about something they have never used. As my great uncle used to say, opinions are like part of the anatomy, everybody's got one. Consider the source. I think there is also a good bit of confusing effort with results is this discussion.

In the interest of being fair and balanced, I own a Ci1 and think is an excellent tool for its intended purpose.

George

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
It seems to me that, in this discussion, most of the people who don't like the Easyrougher Ci1 or are critical of it are the turners who have never used it and the turners who praise it are those who have actually used it. I fail to understand how someone could have so much knowledge about something they have never used. As my great uncle used to say, opinions are like part of the anatomy, everybody's got one. Consider the source. I think there is also a good bit of confusing effort with results is this discussion.

In the interest of being fair and balanced, I own a Ci1 and think is an excellent tool for its intended purpose.

George

OK, fair enough, George.......

Perhaps some of us just don't want to make the same mistakes we've made in the past......by purchasing the newest lathe tool that is touted as the best thing to come along since sliced bread.....only to find it will do nothing any better than the tools we already have.

Yes, I have my opinions, and since you feel they aren't valid unless I spend enough money to pay the heating bill in January......I'm going to do the fair thing and give you the chance to make a convincing argument why the Ci1 should be in my stable of tools.......that is, other than you own one, and I don't.

I've asked this question before, and it seems as there is no EasyRougher owners (or, anyone else, for that matter) that would care to explain the "whys", physical properties, laws of physics, or anything else that would help to explain the characteristics that make it a better roughing tool than a duplicate HSS cutting edge presented in the same manner.

here you go......
Can you explain how an edge which is just as sharp, in a tool with as much heft and rigidity, that is presented to the wood in the same physical way.......won't cut as easy as the EasyRougher?

I suggest that it's just a part of humanity.....the human condition, if you will, to add value to one's assets, or to justify an expense, based strictly on the fact that there is an investment in its acquisition.

otis of cologne

Last edited:
Yes, I have my opinions, and since you feel they aren't valid unless I spend enough money to pay the heating bill in January......I'm going to do the fair thing and give you the chance to make a convincing argument why the Ci1 should be in my stable of tools.......that is, other than you own one, and I don't.

Odie,

I have absolutely no interest in convincing you that you should own a Ci1. As a matter of fact, I am fairly certain you should not own one because, I feel sure, in your hands it would not perform up to your expectations. What I do object to is turners who have never used the tool claiming to know why the tool is no good or no better than and doesn't belong in a "real" turners tool kit. If the tool is too expensive, in your opinion, that's another matter entirely. However, that has absolutely no bearing on whether or not the tool performs as advertised. Many turners, far more experienced than I, who have actually used the tool, have praised it on this and other forums. One even mentioned that it had become his "go to" tool.

In summation, I believe you should feel absolutely free to not own a Ci1 and I agree with you completely in that in your hands it would not be one bit better than the tools you already own. However, in my humble and somewhat unskilled hands, it allows me to rough out a bowl much quicker and easier than I can do it with a gouge. As I said, I am trying to not confuse effort with results.

George

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Odie,

I have absolutely no interest in convincing you that you should own a Ci1. As a matter of fact, I am fairly certain you should not own one because, I feel sure, in your hands it would not perform up to your expectations. What I do object to is turners who have never used the tool claiming to know why the tool is no good or no better than and doesn't belong in a "real" turners tool kit. If the tool is too expensive, in your opinion, that's another matter entirely. However, that has absolutely no bearing on whether or not the tool performs as advertised. Many turners, far more experienced than I, who have actually used the tool, have praised it on this and other forums. One even mentioned that it had become his "go to" tool.

In summation, I believe you should feel absolutely free to not own a Ci1 and I agree with you completely in that in your hands it would not be one bit better than the tools you already own. However, in my humble and somewhat unskilled hands, it allows me to rough out a bowl much quicker and easier than I can do it with a gouge. As I said, I am trying to not confuse effort with results.

George

OK, your opinions are noted, George......

I guess sometimes it's hard to question the opinions of others without invoking the kind of response I got here.......and I really do wish to keep the input on this forum to the point, productive, and a source of lively discussion that is relevant to woodturners......like me.

I thought I was being extra careful to not inspire the kind of remarks I got from George, while making the case for my stance of not seeing things as he does........but, who knows! Maybe I wasn't careful enough!

If anyone can make the case for the superiority of the EasyRougher, I'm sure there are a few of us here that would welcome further discussion that is to the point.

otis of cologne

Everything in my post is strictly theory, since I don't have, nor have I ever tried an EasyRougher. Feel free to contribute, if you feel I'm wrong, shortsighted, or just not seeing the "total picture".

Odie,

I was contributing because I feel you're wrong, shortsighted and just not seeing the "total picture." Now you want to come across as the victim. Give me a break. Your posts are, in my opinion, confrontational and argumentative in discussing a tool that, in your own words, you don't own and have never used. By my count there are 10 posts in this thread by turners that have used and are well satisfied with the tool and imply that it works as advertised but that's not good enough for you. You want to know the physics of how it cuts. If I explained that to you would you then accept it? I doubt it.

This will be my last post in this thread because I'm fairly certain I would come closer to winning an argument with a rock than this one.

George

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Odie,

I was contributing because I feel you're wrong, shortsighted and just not seeing the "total picture." Now you want to come across as the victim. Give me a break. Your posts are, in my opinion, confrontational and argumentative in discussing a tool that, in your own words, you don't own and have never used. By my count there are 10 posts in this thread by turners that have used and are well satisfied with the tool and imply that it works as advertised but that's not good enough for you. You want to know the physics of how it cuts. If I explained that to you would you then accept it? I doubt it.

This will be my last post in this thread because I'm fairly certain I would come closer to winning an argument with a rock than this one.

George

Well, George.......

The reason you have a better chance to win an argument with a rock than with this one, is you have contributed nothing substantial in your past posts......and still haven't. I'd be one that would welcome any input you have to contribute regarding the physics of the cut an EasyRougher will make, as compared to a comparable HSS edge......bring it on, pardner!

If this Ci1 tool is as good as you, and a few others say it is, then it's probably not attributable to magic! There is a reason for it, and I'm certain there are a few others reading this thread who would be interested to know what that might be.

As far as being "confrontational".......well, it's pretty obvious you are pointing the finger in the wrong direction. I will admit to being a stubborn ol' cuss, and one that isn't easily persuaded sometimes......but, I have never been anything but fair in my questioning of the EasyRougher's abilities. It's also very fair to compare the Ci1's performance to that of other woodturning tools.

It is you, and others that are singing a ballad of praise for the EasyRougher, and I believe if you'll review my posts, you'll find I've never said it doesn't do what it's advertised to do.......I have no doubts that it will rough out a bowl......what I am questioning is whether it's any better than other tools a woodturner is likely to already have. If it isn't, then it's fair to assume that one might be better off to use what he already has.....learn how to sharpen them, if he hasn't already done so........and save himself some money!

otis of cologne

Tool Review

I have used an Easy Rougher, and can see the benefits of this tool for many turners. Would I purchase one? Probably not, because I have tools that will do the job, and a limited budget.

Odie, you have asked folks to tell you what this tool does that others do not. They have responded to you. They are only saying that they like the tool. No one is trying to convince you to buy one.

Let's get back to turning and redirect this discussion back to it's original intent - to talk about a tool that has some merit to turners.

George,
I am one of the individuals critical of this tool.

I have used this tool.

I agree, this tool is easy to use, but I'll point out a few drawbacks. The tip will last a long time, but then you have to pay to replace it. A roughing gouge will last longer, a cost comparison wouldn't go well for the easy rougher.
This tool, and users will take this as a personal attack, doesn't enhance skill. That isn't a reflection of what those people are capable of or have the potential to do. This tool removes the development stage of skill, both in turning and in sharpening.

The tool lacks as a one tool to do it all.

I understand your stance, it has made turning easier for you and some others, I genuinely hope it doesn't give you a bunch of bad habits you struggle to unlearn in the long run.

Happy turning.

Website
www.flyingcurls.com
George,
I am one of the individuals critical of this tool.

I have used this tool.

I agree, this tool is easy to use, but I'll point out a few drawbacks. The tip will last a long time, but then you have to pay to replace it. A roughing gouge will last longer, a cost comparison wouldn't go well for the easy rougher.
This tool, and users will take this as a personal attack, doesn't enhance skill. That isn't a reflection of what those people are capable of or have the potential to do. This tool removes the development stage of skill, both in turning and in sharpening.

The tool lacks as a one tool to do it all.

I understand your stance, it has made turning easier for you and some others, I genuinely hope it doesn't give you a bunch of bad habits you struggle to unlearn in the long run.

Happy turning.

David, I just want to make a couple of points.

1. I have the skill to turn using gouges. I am using this tool because it is easier and quicker for roughing. Does that diminsh my skill ? I don't think so. I still use and sharpen all my other tools. So does that make me wrong ?

2. No one, I repeat no one here is touting the Easyrougher as a "one tool to do it all". It is a roughing tool.

3. Cost has nothing to do with anything. If you don't want to spend the money on this tool, don't. I know the replacement tips cost money. So what.

Keith, if you enjoy turning, and you like your finished product, I'll say your on exactly the right track.

Back