• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Transferring images to wood - Lazertran

Website
www.loseby.co.uk
Anyone used Lazertran recently on their turnings to transfer images and if so, what did it turn out like? What finish did you use over it?

I used the inkjet version some years ago but could never get rid of the clear outer edge of the decal and I wondered if they had improved any.

Kindest regards

Paul

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I have just started to look into using decals. You can buy the materials at hobby shops and print them out. They sell a spray that supposedly makes the clear edges dissappear. I will probably try it out early next year since the project I have in mind will need some fancy printing on it and I think decals may be the way to go.
I did purchase some decal material because it was on sale but this stuff has a white back ground. The do that because you can't print white and if you design requires white then you need the white background. However, this means that you have to cut out excess with a razor knife which would be very difficult if your design has a lot of intricate details.

Website
www.loseby.co.uk
Transferring images onto wood

Many thanks for all of the info and advice. A few more things to try. I don't know whether they called it the same in the US, but this kind of thing used to be called Mauchline Ware in the UK. It does make the items of less appeal to everyone but aimed at the right customer, could be worth while.

Example on front cover of this book:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9rjrLAoF1UFyXyEka76yMyXi4dypB5LQWMtCSg019LzTmRG0e]

I had heard of using laser printed paper and transferring the toner off the paper with acetone or something.

Very messy. Heat is better. Clothing iron set at highest, usually Linen. Iron-on transfers (marketed for T-shirts) are available in color for ink-jets. My only application, so far, is to transfer patterns for carving or scroll saw. Black, from laser printer or photocopier, is fine for that. Flip the image in software, e.g. CAD or MSPaint, before printing of course. Use attachment means (staples or adhesive tape) well away from the working area. Conjugal men should do this when SWMBO is away from home.;)

In spite of the name, I have the impression that Lazertran doesn't work that way.

Back