Tru-Grind

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by arbud, Apr 26, 2004.

1. arbud

arbud

Chris, thanks for the tip on the Woodcut Tru-Grind sharpening system. I received mine today, watched the DVD a couple of times, set up the jig as per the DVD & instructions and watched the DVD a couple of more times to make sure I didn't miss something. That sucker works "slicker than glycerin on a glass doorknob." At $109.99 + shipping it's a bargin; it'll certainly save tools.

Thanks again, Chris; I don't care what Jeff says about you, you're alright, mate.

:D ;)

2. Chris Wright

Chris Wright

Home Page:
    glad you liked it...

Hey Bud, sorry I missed the posting until now. I'm glad you like the jig. I've had mine for over a year now and the only other thing I got to go with it was the ellsworth jig. I can almost duplicate the DE grind on my normal bowl gouges, but on his private label version, there is a twist to it that requires his jig to get perfect (at least in my hands).

Isn't it nice when the cheaper tool is also the most versatile one? :D

3. DWFII

DWFII

Just a quick question...I wonder if the Tru grind can do radiused skews? From what I've been able to determine, the Oneway cannot. May be wrong on that...if so let me know! :)

DWFII

4. Randy Rice

Randy Rice

Home Page:
    Radiused Skews with Oneway

DFWII,

The Wolverine system has an attachment for skews. If you hold the tool steady on the wheel, it grinds a straight edge; move it from side to side, you get a curved edge.

Randy

5. Chris Wright

Chris Wright

Home Page:
    Tru-grind & radiused skews

DWFII,

yep, the tru-grind will do radiused skews. In fact, I used it to turn my straight skews into radiused ones and it does it without additional attachments.

The nicest thing about the Tru-grind is that it can hold any tool, round or flat and with a head that articulates 270 degrees and a sliding base, you can get just about every angle and grind you want. The jig's 2 legs also separate (they are normally used bolted together to get 1 pivot point) so they can be placed in both positioning cups (there's a close and a far one on the base) into each of the cups and get a straight side to side only action.

I sure sound like a commercial, but I can't help tout a tool that works so well for a low price.

6. arbud

arbud

You said it, Chris.

The DVD will show you how to do most grinds. By and large I use only 3 grinds: the Irish grind (invented by a fellow in Scotland), a radiused skew grind, and a plain, old, roughing grind. This jig does all 3. Chris sold me on this jig. By the way, it has a guarantee, which I haven't read yet because I'm keepin' mine.

7. arbud

arbud

afterthought

It also does mini-tools--1/8" spindle gouge, et al.

8. giametti

giametti

Is the setup for radiused skews any different than for non-radiused ones? The video only shows a straight edged skew. How is it done?

9. Chris Wright

Chris Wright

Home Page:
    nope

With the skews, the setting is the same (at least when I did it). You normally would mount the skew and then move it back and forth on a straight horizontal axis. However, if you give the handle a slight arcing motion while doing this, it will create the radius. There may be a better way to do it, but this was the fastest and easiest when I tried.